Notices

Trying to find day one once again

Old 05-13-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to find day one once again

The title pretty much says it all. Damn I hate alcohol and what it has done to my life.

sixstringnut
Old 05-13-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Asix,

Sorry you're struggling. I see you've had success in the past at getting sober...3 yrs is outstanding! If you've been able to find sobriety in the past, you can do it again! You can get back what you had by simply not drinking today.

As I'm sure you already know, having a plan and making changes is the key to digging ourselves out for good. Trust me, I've relapsed too many times to count. What I realized is that I never really had a solid plan for my recovery, hence the relapses.

One of the tools I use is regular exercise. It not only helps me to stay on track, but I feel less anxiety and depression. I don't always feel like working out...but as soon as I'm out the door, my attitude changes and I'm off. Not once have I finished a long powerwalk and wished I hadn't done it. Everyone has their own tools, but I noticed in one of your previous posts that you mentioned that you wanted to start working out again. Just do it Asix...you will feel so much better!

Did you go to AA the last time you found sobriety? What worked before? Think of what worked, what didn't work and move forward with your plan. I know you can do this if you put everything you've got into it!

Big hugs!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't have to 'find it', it's right there in front of you. All you have to do is make it happen.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is a struggle to get that Day 1 because alcohol pulls us back in. But once you get going, it gets easier each day to say no to the cravings.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

it was only when I stopped fighting that I was ready to let it all wash over me and take what ever came. What came was horrible but short in the scheme of things
Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got my day one by not having any booze in the house and not buying anymore, six.

It's not easy but it is achievable.

If you need more support, would you consider an AA meeting or something?

D
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time on here in the beginning. I also planned out my evenings when I normally would have been drinking. I went for walks, to the gym, took bubble baths, read both recovery and non-recovery books.

It really does get easier as time passes. Join the May of 2017 class, and join us on the 24 hour thread, both will lend lots of support.

You can do this, start with tonight.

❤Delilah
Old 05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do it.

First you've gotta choose it.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Emptied my house of booze, bought knitting needles and watched a lot of cerebral movies. The movies I had kept putting off because I was too drunk to even understand the description on th e DVD box. Then the next day a meeting and a repeat of the previous day. Eventually I realized I suck at knitting and picked up an adult coloring book. Now at five years I'm hooked on those books and have different ones depending on my mood. Five years later life is good and I'm considering trying to start knitting again.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Maybe not look for day one to happen, when it does it will and all the others will follow. Maybe change your perspective to the last one.
Confront the AV head on, put the drink down and walk away, declare the last drink the Last One, ever, No Matter What.
Learning about AVRT( great threads here on SR in the Secular Connections forum about it) and making a Big Plan gave me the perspective to stop trying for periods of sobriety and instead Quit, for good, the whole enchilada, one fell swoop, no half measures. Twenty four hours after making the decision to Never drink again , and not change my mind, was my day one.Before making that decision and for years before it, there were days when I didn't drink here and there and of course there would have been , I was leaving the door open to future drinking by not making a BP .You can do it.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 05-14-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Six?

D
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just want to say thanks for all the replies. Not doing great, Still drinking.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What do you think it will take to get you to stop Six? Do you want to stop?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sometimes you have to make your own day one.

Actually, you always have to make your own day one. If you wait for it to just happen on its own, it's going to be a long wait.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hugs
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Hey pal,

Your user name has me thinking. A six string nut, like the string nut on a guitar. That tiny little piece of bone can withstand and adapt to so much pressure, so much movement, so much change, so much constant vibration. And without it, the guitar is just a hunk of wood and strings. If a little piece of carved bone can handle that, think of what we can handle as sober humans. And just as the string nut makes beautiful music possible, think of what we can create when we are sober and committed to our purpose.

I understand all too well how tough finding that last day 1 can be. But it can be done. I know that there are so many of us here who would say the same thing. And sobriety is only impossible if you keep drinking. Can you put down the bottle for today? If so, then you can do it for tomorrow as well. If not, what do you need to put that bottle down? If you need help, it's there. You just need to reach out.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi - I spent all of the last two weeks trying to get to Day 1 again. Now on Day 2 so at least I have begun.

If you need it - take a few days to get your mind in the right place - essentially, you need to be really fed up with your life of drinking. Take a look at your drinking life, a really good look - is that you? is that what you want?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Six? How you doin?

I lost a lot of Tuedays man - a lot of weeks, months and even years.
I lost a lot of good things too.

I don't want to lose any thing or anymore of whatever years I have left.

Let that crazy train roll on without you, brother

whaddya say?

D