Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The "idea" of drinking - a visualization technique and tool - PLAY THE TAPE

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Most here know or have heard of playing the tape. It's an effective tool but if you take it a step further and sit with your eyes closed somewhere with no interruptions it can be far more helpful.

Some of us will start playing the tape and our minds will just go directly to the end result. That can be a good thing but this is best played out from beginning to end. Here's why. when you go directly to the end result and you still drink you're not getting the full effectiveness of reality. You're making a snap judgment decision that you don't care, that the small window of pleasure you'll get outweighs the blip of a bad moment you just pondered. Take the time to really think about it, because it's worth it and your sobriety is on the line! Protect it at all costs!

Choose almost any relapse or slip thread on here and you'll see a pattern. The actual act of drinking was never as pleasing as the person thought it would be. I've seen "It didn't even taste good" or the aftermath of the feelings we get when we give in, usually coupled with a raging hangover.

The next time your mind begins to head in that direction play the tape. Find a place to sit where you won't be interrupted. Close your eyes and practice some slow breathing and start the tape. Just as you would have a dream. Start with where you go, ordering or buying, on to opening the container of choice. What happens next? Only you know the answer to that question but continue on stepping through, and being blatantly honest with yourself. Bring yourself right to the next point you wake up. How does it feel waking up when you first open your eyes? Do you feel sick? hungover? Dreadful? Full of shame? Allow yourself to realistically experience what you're thinking. When you're done (and no, this is not meant to be a speed test) take a long inhale and exhale. Open your eyes and think through everything you just saw.

Was it worth it?

You'll be surprised that if you apply yourself in doing this it will help to dispel what your mind wants to perceive as the idea of drinking and what it really is.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

My biggest problem with this is that one probably forgets just how terrible they feel, physically and emotionally the next day.

Thos memories fade, so when people have the trigger or idea, it's a current, strong emothion battling a distant, faded memory.

A,t least for me.

That's why I have to just have my motto as "I don't drink. Under any circumstances". Just like I don't smoke or do coke. Or go to a strip club. They are just things that are not part of my life.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's worked for me
Thanks LB!

D
Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me:

Before 'the Miracle' of getting Free from the drinking(or-using)...obsessing...craving Hell of active addiction/alcoholism:
I was NOT capable of 'Playing the Tape thru' ... any attempt at that was a pathetic weak thought completely over-ruled and dominated by the Screaming-Bloody-Murder automatic behavior of getting f-ed up to drown-out or appease whatever was driving me at that point ... way down inside below the level of any possibility of 'clear, rational thought'.

NOW, that I am living on the Miracle side of being FREE from that Hell of active addiction/alcoholism, I absolutely use the tool of 'Playing the Tape thru', along with many other 'tools' for staying in a Sane, Sober, Spiritual Condition for living my life.

I appreciate the deep visualization technique you described LadyBlue, and I will apply it.

RDBplus3
Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I do this when I need to. I sit and go through the whole experience - from beginning to almost inevitable end. Sometimes my tape ends up with me back in jail with another DUI. Sometimes it's just a hangover and shame. The endings vary, but the overall experience is never good. This has been one of my most useful tools. Another useful tool has been thinking about a friend who once had 16 sober years. He picked up again for a few years. Ended up in a really bad mental place, with a loaded gun to his head. Got sober again for a couple of years. Picked up again recently, and I saw him not long ago, looking hopeless, unhealthy, and very very sad. I do not want that to be me.

Thanks for posting, LadyBlue.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LadyBlue, thanks very much for your take on this method.