Notices

Day 25 and why am I still so tired???

Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25 and why am I still so tired???

I'm so excited to be on day 25 but I'm still so tired all the time. I'm eating well and taking supplements. When does this fatigue go away?? I was diagnosed with an enlarged liver. Wondering if I have to wait to have more energy until liver improves?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 25!!! An enlarged liver will definitely take some time to heal, so the fatigue isn't surprising. Did your doctor recommend the supplements? I know some OTC supplements say they'll give you energy but sometimes actually do the opposite..
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on day 25!!

but uhm.... it's only day 25.

Everyone's experience is different but mine was that I had some hefty energy issues and felt tired and muddled frequently for the better part of a year.

Even now in Year 3 - in some ways I don't have the percieved "energy" that I had when I was drinking.... though it was all artificial "energy" and also came along with heft pricetags on fatigue and hangovers when I hit a low.

Over time, I've attained a nice place of balance, though. Life is tiring. Recovery returns us to life and we have to find new rythms, new patterns, new sources of energy, new levels of nutrition and activity and sleep.

Be patient. Don't worry about it. If you're tired, rest. Take each day for the goodness it can offer. Do what you can to deepen your sobriety and celebrate your life each day.

Try not to compare, but rather to appreciate.

Again well done on 25 days. Keep it up!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress! It's frustrating and incomprehensible about how long it takes. Just think of what our poor bodies have gone through. I still can't sleep normally. My old sleep was always heavily alcohol induced so now it's waking up every couple of hours. Wish I had some advice. Fatigue won't kill you though. Alcoholism left untreated is 100% fatal. Fatigue is an easy choice.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 25 days! I am tired too (Day 18), but I know from longer periods of abstinence in my past that this goes away after 5-6 months. I have been napping and focusing on one day at a time. Give yourself the freedom to practice HALT everyday....avoid being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired!

What a great journey we are on...cheers to another sober day!!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember feeling crazy tired the first couple of months and I hadn't found this site then so kept googling 'why do I feel so tired after giving up alcohol?" Can't remember exactly when my energy returned but I'm 198 days sober today and tiredness is no longer an issue and hasn't been for a while. So I reckon you might just have to take it as easy as you can for a few weeks but keep remembering that it will get better. And thanks for posting. I'd forgotten all about that horrible tiredness. Its human nature to forget the difficult times and only focus on what's going on now. Remembering that tiredness and then comparing it to my energy levels now shows me how much healthier I am. And my energy is constant now. Doesn't peak and dive like it did when I was drinking. Yet another way in which life is better without alcohol. Well done on 25 days
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no quick fixes. your body needs TIME to heal....and that won't happen in a month. we do a lot of damage to ourselves.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 25. Give it more time.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. Ugh!! I'm soooo tired but I have so much to do! I have work and relatives coming to stay because my son graduates college on Sat. Then need to cook for everyone and of course clean! Just the sound of all that makes me want to take a nap!!!! I hope I can do this!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for eyars so i was alway going to take a little time for my mind and body to heal.

I felt much better after my first 30 days - I hope you will too myluckyday

D
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Myluck,

A great thing about sobriety is..everyday it is the real me.

I revel in the fact that I can say...man I am tired...I'm going to bed..or taking a nap...or I can't make that event...sorry...I'm tired.

I do this when I need to...probably...several times a week.

P.s. at 25 days... i was a wreck. It took months before I started to develop some general stability.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I'm on day 37 and still feeling tired a lot. I like naps. But seriously my sponsor has assured me it's normal and to take care of myself. Eat if I'm hungry. Nap if I'm tired. Hopefully it evens out soon.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days. I too have been dealing with feeling tired. Not every day (like in the first 30-60 days) but I have days where I just need a nap. Everyone is different...as many here have said, it takes time for our bodies to heal. Rest when you can...your body needs it!