Notices

What good is a plan if ...

Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Solarian - at least you have a plan - I am still working on mine. I guess you need to find a way of becoming your plan rather than seeing it as a separate thing. Perhaps you should read it out loud to your self everyday (or every hour?). Perhaps find some rituals that re-enforce it? Maybe your plan should be your refuge - your safe place, your source of hygge? Then you would want to stay with it, not discard it
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice and insights.

MrPL, I did understand your post and it has me thinking, "Is this really the best version of me?"

DeepBlue, I think you are right. Some rituals or a daily routine would help.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post
Thank you all for your advice and insights.

MrPL, I did understand your post and it has me thinking, "Is this really the best version of me"
That s great to hear Solarion, I hope it has the same effect for you as it did for me.

You got this!

P
Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Hi Solarion,

1) the single most important thing in sobriety is to truly make the decision that you no longer drink regardless of what life throws your way. That on its own is sufficient, but....

2) A plan can really, really help. P
Definitely this. Full and complete acceptance. I've planned, built support systems, committed myself to staying sober, and none of that worked. Not until I had the first item above covered. No reasons, no excuses, no drinking. Sadly, sometimes it takes something horrific happening to get there which it did in my case.

Now that the choice has been removed it's far easier because my mind doesn't even go there, no option to.

One thing I did find to make it easier was to not focus on forever. When the AV came calling I would say nope, not going to do it, just for today. I don't have to worry about tomorrow I'm just not going to allow it to happen today under any circumstance. Then, in the morning I'd wake up relieved I got through. The urges were gone and I'd repeat that process. Everyone has their preference of recovery program but that saying "one day at a time" definitely is key.

I will never change my signature line because there will never come a day where that won't be true.

You have to accept this and you have to want it under any circumstance. Not just when you've woken up with a hangover or have done something you regret.