Notices

Hypnotherapy

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnotherapy

Good Afternoon All

Quick question as part a 'Plan' has anyone tried hypnotherapy? Ailsa Frank has one and i ready amazing results
I want to stop binge drinking lower intake not quit forever and apparently this is possible ?
AA and other meetings are Give up totally, i was told when i first came to SR its not an option its quit or nothing (that may still be true)

Would/have any of you tried the cd's ?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would still try quitting for an extended period of time, and while you do, read a lot on here. Many, many people went sober for various periods of time - 45 days, 6 months, or even a few years. Then they "knew" they could drink normally and are coming back because it happened all over again with the slow creep right back to old habits. I have only ever seen one story where someone seemed alright going back to "normal" although many saw his way of speaking about it quite troubling.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, I just get tired of playing on the edge, always trying to be normal. It's a slippery slope and I am more "normal" when I leave it alone. Hangovers, memory lapses, making a fool of myself.....I can do without. That being said if you can find a balance more more power to you, just never worked for me.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If hypnotherapy worked for alcoholism, I think you'd see it touted on SR. But you don't. Cause it doesn't.

Will it turn a binge drinker into a "normie"? I doubt it. Even though moderate drinking isn't promoted here, I think if you could hypnotize someone into being a moderate drinker, there would be threads about it. But you don't see any.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

IMHO, there is no way to turn a pickle back into a cucumber, no matter what is said to my "higher self".

If talk therapy could cure addiction, I would be first in line.

There is way more going on, for me, in the physiology of my addiction.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Femaleboss1980 View Post
I want to stop binge drinking lower intake not quit forever and apparently this is possible ?
AA and other meetings are Give up totally, i was told when i first came to SR its not an option its quit or nothing (that may still be true)
No it is not possible, and yes - it is still true. Alcoholics cannot ever return to "normal" drinking. We've tried just about every possible trick in the book to do so, but it never works. Quitting is the only option if you are an alcoholic.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon All

Quick question as part a 'Plan' has anyone tried hypnotherapy? Ailsa Frank has one and i ready amazing results

Would/have any of you tried the cd's ?
no i havent.
so, your plan is to learn how to moderate?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Fb,

Great question and great thread.

Everyone is different.

Booze mentally and physically destroyed me.

I suffered, and still do a bit, for well over a year.

I totally understand the desire to drink again....i have it too.

But, i am likely permanently damaged from my drinking.

For me, enough is enough.

If quitting seems easy, it may be a crave in disguise.

The av lurks.

Normal folks can take or leave booze. Alkys try to moderate.

1 or 2 drinks was always a tease to me. I needed at least 4 to 8 units to get drunk enough.

Sad but true.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is not possible for me. I cannot return to moderate drinking. It will be a horror story after a few weeks, and I will come crawling back here with my tail between my legs. Its best I just abstain.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I've been reading a lot in the past couple of weeks about the medical side of alcohol abuse. It is a poison to our bodies and brains. Even if I could moderate, which I can't long term, I wouldn't want all that destruction going on under my skin.

Now I know. Before, I believed (subconscious denial) : if I don't see the damage to my body, there isn't any. Boy was I wrong!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

in theory that would be amazing but doubt it's possible. Problem for me as a binge drinker was I couldn't stop after one nights drinking. I would wake up on saturday still drunk and start again. I would give anything to be able to get drunk on a friday say and then stop. I was told by my councilor because iv'e never drank everyday for long periods it may be possible but all attempts have failed. In January I managed nearly a month after starting with counseling. When I went back to it I managed the first 4 weeks just drinking friday 6-8pints getting pretty drunk. Then the next friday I drank I woke up on the Saturday still drunk and went straight to shops to get more. It escalated from there. Basically if I wake up drunk I have no chance of stopping. So if I was hypnotized sober i'm not sure if that would work if it's the "drunken me" who has trouble stopping. May give it a go though wanted to try it for smoking anyway. Although I am gonna try and do at least 2 months sober first see how it goes am on day 13 so far. Am hoping I hate alcohol even more by then and won't want to.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe hypnotherapy could be a great tool for alcoholics to STOP drinking - but not as a way to moderate . . .

I used it for nicotine and it was a great help. It cannot hurt to use it to STOP drinking . . .it is one tool in the tool box.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's Betty Ford who said that once you cross the invisible line, you can never go back again. I believe her.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses i bought the download and litened to both of them she says to stop binging or to give up totally either way its a bonus it may well make me never wanting to drink again its a fab download 2 tracks 17min and 12 min long i fell asleep after the second one 🙈
LOL i thought i was strong minded
How do i go about getting a sponsor is going to AA meeting essential to get one?
I dont want to go to meetings im very open minded happy to speak out but i find it very embarrassing
Just being honest x

Broke my pinky toe on Friday morning so no gym, long walks or going out unless i wear flip flops (its raining in uk) so need other things to keep me and my mind busy x
Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I think you would have to go to meetings to find a sponsor.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No. Once that line has been crossed, there is no going back.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a line only believed by alcoholics & spun out relentlessly by people who want your money.

I tried for 20 years and got nowhere.
Not drinking at all was not only much easier, it set me free.

I gained this great new life and all I had to do was stop drinking alcohol. No brainer.

Why expend all that effort just to keep yourself in chains?

D
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So no one has actually answered has anyone actually tried hypnotherapy? Yes or no ?
I too got nasty via drink i hate the stuff ideal world would be 2/3 leave not 10/12 floor
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I haven't tried hypnotherapy

If alcohols nasty and you hate the stuff - 'why is 2/3 drinks and leave' still your ideal?

d