Notices

Hypnotherapy

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Knowing your limits, i see so many do it why cant i ?
Dee i said it made me nasty (wine)
I like the downloads they make sense i dont want or need a drink im going to stay sober

Good luck and thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No I haven't tried hypnotherapy

If alcohols nasty and you hate the stuff - 'why is 2/3 drinks and leave' still your ideal?

d
Wow, incredible lack of understanding
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Wow, incredible lack of understanding
no; a simple, but unfortunate, misreading of what someone wrote, which is a completely different thing.

that said, I'm going to pretend that I know what I'm talking about even though I'm struggling with stringing together even 3 weeks of sobriety, so here goes.

If hypnotherapy worked, as mentioned, we would probably see more mention of it. I guess it couldn't hurt, and if it could even help a tiny few, so much the better. But hypnotherapy will not cure physical ailments or change one's physiology. What people like me have to learn to accept is that our feedback loop regarding alcohol is broken. when my brain should be telling me "whoa, you should slow down or stop, get something to eat, call it a night" etc. it instead says "how can I keep filling this endless pit, where is my next drink coming from?" It is true that on occasion I can actually moderate, a few glasses of wine with dinner, a beer or two, and be done with it. But it is just happy circumstances or maybe me staying ahead of my real cravings that I get off "with just a warning" so to speak. As a good sober friend and addiction counselor put it, it is just like Russian roulette. There is no way to know if there is a bullet in the chamber and every time I drink I pretty much risk royally messing things up as has been proven on countless previous occasions. I know all this and yet I still drink. Plead with myself on Friday morning to abstain, yet fail, have a few too many, nurse that hangover along the next day or two with some more booze, feel like crap, swear it off, rinse and repeat. And as the old timers here say, I can confirm that it only seems to be getting worse with age. Trying to break the cycle beginning again this week though. As has been written here many times over, people who can moderate don't obsess over their (in)ability to moderate. I don't really believe a hypnosis will restore to me the ability to recognize that I've had enough to drink after one or two. I've never had that faculty. This can be "sad" news for many of us. We have built a relationship to alcohol and have a hard time imagining life without it and our drinking partners (whom I will not call friends for now, no offense to them). On the other hand, the promise of sobriety is not the prison of abstinence, it is freedom from an evil overlord--and something I want very much. but it is going to take some work (and support) thanks for listening
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Femaleboss1980 View Post
Knowing your limits, i see so many do it why cant i ?
Dee i said it made me nasty (wine)
I like the downloads they make sense i dont want or need a drink im going to stay sober

Good luck and thanks

Because the very nature of alcoholism means we don't know our limits...we can always drink one more....we can always get a little drunker.

The point I was trying to was/is regardless of whether alcohol itself is nasty or it makes you nasty - surely it's illogical to want to keep such a thing in your life.

I'm trying to be as gentle here as possible but if this is about what other people do, maybe it's time to accept you're not like other people?

D