Notices

sober for 6 months - question

Old 05-13-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober for 6 months - question

Hello

I've been sober (alcohol) for 6 months now. I've recently started to dream about drinking. Curious if anyone else has experienced this and will this type of craving ever stop? I get great sleep now and I remember my dreams for the first time years.

thanks
Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep! All the time! If something like drinking is on your mind chances are you'll muse over it in dreams as well. It's nothing strange at all. Hope that helps!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All I can give is my experience. Yes, they stop. I not only had drinking dreams, I would wake up with a 'false' hangover. I actually felt and thought I was hungover for a couple of minutes. Very strange.
Hang in there and sweet dreams. And congratulations on six months.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

dreaming does NOT mean craving. The adulty brain is crammed full of memories- sights, sounds, emotions, facts and experiences. I see all of that in my drems like someone has torn all the pages out of every book in a library out and a giant wind has mixed them all up. Then we look at what is there.
A frog next to a shuttle serving apple pie to a mountain. Mixed up stuff- a mind reconnecting,, rebooting- rewiring.
I often dream of booze- horrible memories of my dead bro (organ failure- booze when he was 42). Dreams cannot hurt. The feelings on waking up need to be grounded back into the real world- breathing- touch something solid. Listen to the world around me.
Dreams can be crap tho. They are not real. They can bring up anything, anytime. 6 months- 30 years. If too worried- talk to a professional.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have been sober for 2 years four and a half months but I still get them, just not as frequently as I once did. They are most disconcerting and as Ghostlight mentioned they can even come with false hangovers but fear not - they do not seem to presage a relapse.

I expect they are just a warning from our subconscious to stay away.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 447 days sober and have gotten them at times. I haven't had a lot that I remember, though a couple ones early on were the kind that jolted me awake and gave sheer relief when I realized they were just dreams! Around 9 or 10 months I think, I had a couple of the kind of dreams that juxtapose things that exist in areas of your life that have no connection, you know? Or have parts that are real (ie, I have been to Augusta National and I have had Corona in my life) and not (ie, I don't have a sister nor did I ever get caught drinking champagne there)....

My sleep has progressed to pretty normal, with some dreams I remember. Time helps everything. Keep going!
Old 05-14-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the same thing at almost exactly 6 months. I didn't have any drinking dreams until that 6 mo mark. Then I woke up thinking I messed up, but "whew" type.

I fell off the wagon shortly after at a Christmas party, but that was my mistake and had nothing to do with the dreams. I even called my parents and friends to ask about if I should pick up a beer. I called the wrong person... then made the wrong choice. 5 years have gone by, and I barely remember any of it...