Notices

Wreckage

Old 05-13-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Wreckage

After yesterday, it's calm here. Day 8 and I don't want a drink. Woke up dreaming I'd drunk and was very unsure I wasn't hungover for ages.

I am having to face money issues. Trying to open some letters and face it. I don't wanna overload myself by thinking about all the things that got broke. Work, house, friends, me. I suppose I will have to get a job and all everything sober. How do I do all that?

Going to sort and clean the fridge. Wish me luck! Weev
Old 05-13-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Work, house, friends, me. I suppose I will have to get a job and all everything sober. How do I do all that?
Getting through yesterday was massive. Give yourself some credit. Work, house, friends....life. How will you do all that? The same way we recover. One day at a time.

You can do this.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to open them - the longer you put it off the less time you have to work out what needs to be paid first.

I set up payment plans with all my major creditors - a little a while - it took a little while but I was soon debt free again..and never went back to spending all my money on booze

D
Old 05-13-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Weev- my sponsor- when he got sober- owed tens of thousands of dollars. He avoided dealing with it for years. Finally he rang the people he owed money to (including a BIG credit provider) and negotiated a payment plan. Having a financial advocate may help too- legal aid, consultant- whatever.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My advice is to open them - the longer you put it off the less time you have to work out what needs to be paid first.

I set up payment plans with all my major creditors - a little a while - it took a little while but I was soon debt free again..and never went back to spending all my money on booze

D
^^^^ This.

ODAAT, Weev.

Staying sober is the most important thing. It makes resolving issues so much easier.

Consider starting with your creditors; most are receptive to formulating a reasonable payment plan.

I like your idea of cleaning the fridge; completing one small (and free) project at a time can have have such a psychological impact. Even sorting a kitchen drawer can feel so rewarding!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Worse problem is behind w/rent this month. And maxxed out credit card not paid for three months - about £3,000. I was totally thinking only about stopping drinking this month and neglected everything else.
I reckon I was spending 300 quid a month on booze and cigs. Three hundred. Does that even sound possible? Then there's the uncontrolled spending on other things. It's gonna take for ever to sort this out.
Oh well, if I'm going to stay sober I'll have to face it and try to stay calm. And work.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was boozing I would gamble $500+ per game on anything that was on. Luckily todays bookies don't break legs.. I called my guy and worked it out. It took me a few months to get square but, it is what it is and doesn't go away by ignoring.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Thanks DR. I bought a pocket book to write down everything I'm spending. I looked up debtors anonymous and I'll go along to that and see what it is. I think I might have to got to all of them.
I'm beginning to see what I do. I got flaming angry with a friend who got jealous earlier and was really uncool about my stopping drinking and smoking. Guess some people like you wasted. Then I wanted a drink - really wanted it.
I was walking again tho and miles from anywhere. Mad emotions. Rang sponsor. Embarrassed by long rambling angry ansa message I left. Hope this stops soon.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Worse problem is behind w/rent this month. And maxxed out credit card not paid for three months - about £3,000. I was totally thinking only about stopping drinking this month and neglected everything else.
I reckon I was spending 300 quid a month on booze and cigs. Three hundred. Does that even sound possible? Then there's the uncontrolled spending on other things. It's gonna take for ever to sort this out.
Oh well, if I'm going to stay sober I'll have to face it and try to stay calm. And work.
Hey Weev...think of it this way...if you were still drinking...you'd be adding to the debt and not able to rationally work through a solution. Try to stay in the day and please...rip up those credit cards!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Hey Weev......rip up those credit cards!

The horror that sentence strikes into my heart. First thought: No waaay. Are you mad?
I guess you're right. All those cards and bank accounts. It's not a clean way of living, is it?
Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's not only one day at a time...its one issue at a time. At eight days, the single most important thing...the only important thing...is to stay the sober course.

If you're like me, getting utterly overwhelmed by the big picture too easily leads to "screw it, it's too big, where's the wine." We also tend to be really expert at turning things into Intergalactic Catastrophes.

So I think cleaning the fridge is genius. One issue at a time, yes?

You're doing brilliantly!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I'm going to clean the fridge now...
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When you're done, mine could use a good scrub, too Weev.

Good to see you here this morning. (Well, it's 10AM where I am)