Notices

Realising I'm a young alcoholic

Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe you need a recovery plan Nemi?

Take a look anyway - you might find something in there to help you move from almost sobriety to total recovery?
Thank you, Dee! I will look into that my "plan " so far is just . Well. Not to drink. And distract myself. Thats not a very solid plan , so this could really help
Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well I am certainly glad you figured this out now at 27. I dont know how many times i vomitted from drinking too much. I was getting on a six pack a night during weekdays and nor on weekends.

My stomach hurt a lot, i had headaches, i felt bad but i thought it was all normal. Stupid I know. But that all changed one day... well it changed over many days. I relapsed a few times after a few months sober but got it right.

I do not miss feeling nausea every morning or waking up with head aches and anxiety.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Once I get started, I drink till its empty. And I crave more.

That sounds precipitously dangerous. I would seriously consider making a strong effort to quit altogether. Alcoholism is progressive, and it kills people.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Even at only once a week, 6 beers in one sitting is not normal. Glad you recognize that it won't continue to work for you.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
clean & sober

Originally Posted by Nemi View Post
Hey everyone.
I am a 27 year old woman, and it's safe (though painful) to say that I am an alcoholic. I suffer from severe anxiety, and startet selfmedicating with alcohol about a year ago. Have always been a little too keen on drinking compared to other people my age . I dont mean only partying, I really enjoy "relaxing " and drinking alone. Om my sofa. In front of the TV.. (that sounds pathetic
Well, long story short, in order to give my brain some peace and quiet Ive been drinking almost every evening /night the last year. Started with 3 beers a night, The last couple of months it was as much as 6 beers or a bottle of wine. 4-5 times A WEEK. My health got worse. My anxiety was through the roof, i was feeling sick to my stomach and just spaced out every day. Have a part time job, a husband and a child.. so. Last friday I drank so much that I vomited. And I came to the conclusion that I am done with this. I wont drink anymore. Have not touched a drop in a week.
Was so scared of withdrawals (anxiety also had me convinced I would get Delirium tremens), but I have been really ok. No shaking. No nothing really, just tired and in a fairly bad mood.
I know too well that I can't have a beer/ glass of wine now and then like normal people . I need to stop forever (pretty depressing thought actually )
Not sure what I wanna say with this post, just needed to write it down .
Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
clean & sober

Thumbs up 27/alcoholic

I wish I had figured that out at your age. It took me 20 more years and many trainwrecks to get there. You caught it young and know what to do going forward. Surround yourself with winners. That will help in the long haul. Its not an easy road to travel. Ive been clean for almost 13 months, its a struggle. If you want it hard enough, you will get it. Just hang in dear, it gets easier. W
Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey, I just wanted to say I am about your age and have the same problem. I can't stop until every drop is gone. Then I go to the bar to get more. On a work night.

I crave it, too. Nights home alone. Weekends when people go out. I realized I was avoiding a) taking care of myself/my house and b) avoiding finding real interests and who I am.

I used to go weeks without touching it and now I'm celebrating a day 6. I'm sad about not drinking again but I'm trying to examine that by saying "what am I sad about?" It might work for you too.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I made the conclusion when I was 25 but he doubt often comes in. I'm now 27 and recently got kicked out of medical school for my drinking and it has given me some more determination to stop drinking. Alcohol or any other drugs really just don't mix, even cigarettes I'll chain smoke them one after the other so they have to go too. I've recently started some meds Antabuse, naltrexone, and acamprosate which I've found helpful and have not had a drink in a few weeks now. I attend two SMART meetings a week, one AA/NA (I am purposefully trying to do as little traditional 'treatment' as possible because I've not found it particularly useful or effective) and I have realised the determination comes from within me this time not looking for outside things to sort my life out so I just read, chill out, try not to get too stressed, don't hang around with people who I don't want to, and concentrate on bettering myself with gym, looking for new jobs, writing to people etc.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Once I get started, I drink till its empty. And I crave more.

That sounds precipitously dangerous. I would seriously consider making a strong effort to quit altogether. Alcoholism is progressive, and it kills people.
Yes, I know. I try to limit how many beers I have in the house . Or "just" a bottle of wine , not several. I dont go out and buy more when I've started drinking . But I really have no control , you're right. I ended up with 9 beers in one day last week, just because it was there (my husband har bought a sixpack, so had I..). I know it will progress, as it has done the last year.
I'm quitting. Already see the dramatic difference between the day after drinking and the rest of the week. I LOVE waking up sober. My body feels healthier and my anxiety is better . It's not worth throwing away once a week.
Thank you for your honesty. It's harsh, but I need to hear it.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So grateful for all your answers. 🌸
I think a big reason for me drinking is to numb my feelings. I have talked to the doctor and the ordered therapy sessions, but the queue here is long and I dont have an appointment before august.. it was ordered in april . Hopefully that will provide me with some tools also
Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nemi View Post
Yes, I know. I try to limit how many beers I have in the house . Or "just" a bottle of wine , not several. I dont go out and buy more when I've started drinking . But I really have no control , you're right. I ended up with 9 beers in one day last week, just because it was there (my husband har bought a sixpack, so had I..). I know it will progress, as it has done the last year.
I'm quitting. Already see the dramatic difference between the day after drinking and the rest of the week. I LOVE waking up sober. My body feels healthier and my anxiety is better . It's not worth throwing away once a week.
Thank you for your honesty. It's harsh, but I need to hear it.
I didn't mean to be harsh Nemi. I have a friend right now who can't stop once he starts and he's eventually going to have to quit altogether or he's gonna end up divorced and unemployed. If he has 1 beer, he's gonna have 20. He won't stop drinking until every drop of liquor is gone and the stores are closed. Keep going, you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Great for you Nemi! I am 28 myself and I have been hospitalized and jailed due to my alcohol use. Please don't go to the bottom I had to to sober up!