Notices

Depression

Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

Hey guys,
I'm coming up on almost 2 weeks of sobriety, I was hoping for a pink cloud but I've been suffering with depression, loneliness and painful thoughts about my ex-bf who left me. I think part of why I started drinking was to quiet down these thoughts. I guess I need to find a way of dealing with them without alcohol! I'm already on Zoloft. It's hard to know how much good it is really doing.

I started taking naltrexone as well and I wonder if that is contributing to my depression or of this is part of PAWS, I guess I will talk to my MD about that when I see her next week.

I am meeting with my sponsor tonight and hopefully that will help. Any words of wisdom please send them my way
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give it time. Two weeks sober is awesome, but I didn't have the capability to think clearly for at least a month, when my emotions began to level out. I say "began" because it was probably three to six months before I had more great days than flat ones.

Hang on, it is so worth going through this, and you only have to do it once.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ZenButterfly, I am in a very similar situation to you. About 2 weeks clean here, but just a different substance. I'm just trying to figure it out as I go. It's been a difficult couple of months for me. You are not alone in this. just trying to take it one day at a time, and start fixing what I need to fix. I hope you feel better after talking to your sponsor
Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

not sure if its wisdom, but the best suggestion I can offer is
go to meetings, pray like crazy, read the big book, do what the big book siuggests, keep in contact with your sponsor and others in recovery9 got phone numbers?), repeat.

is this depression something that was diagnosed before?
edit:
just saw the Zoloft thing. alcohol is a depressant. I don't think the combination of the 2 is a good thing.
I wish I could say the misery will leave because ya stopped drinking, but I cant. it doesn't work that way. it can take quite some time for the full effects of alcohol to disappear.but it can happen with footwork and T.I.M.E.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two weeks is great, but it is still early on. I think you might want to give the zoloft a chance to work, without alcohol in the picture, before you make a decision about it. I'm glad you'll be talking to your dr.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Honestly I never got a pink cloud. Everything slowly just got better and better till I realized I felt really good every day. Also there is a world of difference between taking anti-depressants and drink vs taking them and being abstinent. Hang in there!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

is this depression something that was diagnosed before?
edit:
just saw the Zoloft thing. alcohol is a depressant. I don't think the combination of the 2 is a good thing.
I wish I could say the misery will leave because ya stopped drinking, but I cant. it doesn't work that way. it can take quite some time for the full effects of alcohol to disappear.but it can happen with footwork and T.I.M.E.
Thanks, yeah I was on the Zoloft before I quit drinking. I was depressed before which is one of my motivations to quit drinking. Even the Dr. said the healing process could take a while, I guess I'm just frustrated wanting to feel better already
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It for sure will take some time, and two weeks in is just getting started. Though things will get better every day, and your medication should start to actually work as it sure won't with alcohol in the picture.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on Zoloft (sertraline) for a long time, before I got sober, and once I got sober it started to work as it should. It takes a few weeks for the zoloft to start working, give it time.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZenButterfly View Post
Thanks, yeah I was on the Zoloft before I quit drinking. I was depressed before which is one of my motivations to quit drinking. Even the Dr. said the healing process could take a while, I guess I'm just frustrated wanting to feel better already
completely understandable.
when I started to understand what the big book said I could get by following the simple suggestions, I wanted it and I wanted it yesterday!
it was quite frustrating, but I had to understand and accept that after 23 years of drinking, healing and growing mentally, emotionally, and spiritually wasn't gonna happen overnight.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm very new here, but I know that for me depression and use are very closely linked. I drink or take a few pills because I'm depressed or angry and I need to "hit the reset button". Having a hangover can push me into depression if I wasn't depressed before. A part of my brain that really loves me is convinced that I need a pill - or a drink. It wants to help me and it wants to nurture me and it wants me to feel better, it's sure that I'm hurting myself by Not self medicating. When I don't feel like anyone else loves me very much, it's really, really, really hard to tell that kind voice that it's wrong, it's killing me, it has to shut up and go away. I've been back and forth, at the two month mark that voice is clamoring pretty loudly tonight but I do have one extra tool in my belt, the knowledge that what goes down Does come up again. Hold on.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Give it time. I don't know how long you've been drinking for but it will take a lot longer than two weeks for the fog to completely lift. Each day you will feel a little better and hopefully, eventually like me you don't need a tablet to get you through each day