SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Need support... Love wine too much (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/409464-need-support-love-wine-too-much.html)

BelieveAgain 05-10-2017 10:29 PM

Need support... Love wine too much

Hi everyone! I've never done this before so any help or suggestions I truly appreciate! I'm a 42 year old female that is sick and tired of depending on wine for a temporary boost of happiness. i also Hate how my face gets chubby but I know thats the last of my problems.

Look forward to hearing from you!
BelieveAgain

Outonthetiles 05-10-2017 11:07 PM

You've come to the right place, BelieveAgain.

Soberwolf 05-10-2017 11:15 PM

Welcome Believe Again

FeelingGreat 05-10-2017 11:19 PM

Hi BA, here are some things that worked for me, a fellow wine lover and dependent:
1. Talked to my doctor. If you can't tell him/her how much you drink, write it down.
2. Read as much as I could on the harm alcohol is doing to my body and mind. Try Googling stages of alcoholism for a good fright.
3. Concentrated on my danger times (after work) and found substitutes. Fresh juice and a pot of tea were my favourites.
4. Also walked after work, which I found relaxing.
5. I gave myself a year without alcohol, and when the time was up the benefits were so great I just kept going.
6. Don't be afraid to eat sweet things or whatever you prefer for a while as a substitute.
7. Avoid temptation. The time will come when you can go to social events but avoid them at first.
8. Use SR for support, especially when you've made it to one of your goals, like a week, or 6 months.

doggonecarl 05-10-2017 11:23 PM

I thought I loved drinking too. Turns out I needed it. Alcoholically. Big difference.

kenton 05-10-2017 11:55 PM

My cheekbones re emerged very quickly after I quit drinking wine. Self esteem, confidence, energy, sense of worth, patience, enthusiasm and optimism took a little longer but I've got all of them back now.

Well done for being honest about your reason for drinking. Happiness, temporary or otherwise doesn't live in a bottle of wine. But you sound like you know that already. Stop drinking for a while and see how you feel. Good luck

Treerat66 05-11-2017 12:14 AM

Hi Believe Again.
Welcome to SR.

PhoenixJ 05-11-2017 12:22 AM

Welcome- meetings are as good idea, too.

Done4today 05-11-2017 12:31 AM

I thought I liked wine, beer, vodka, whiskey, mescal, or any other alcoholic beverage until I stopped. I also found out I don't really like watching Nascar, football, hockey, or any other sport you sit around for hours on hours drinking. Perception changes when your mind gets clear of spirits and fills with spirituality. Good luck

Femaleboss1980 05-11-2017 02:06 AM

Keep posting i found/find it helped i to relied on a glass/bottle until it got to a stage i was drinking 3/4 times a week !! Not good
Relapsed n back on track its full of calories i noticed a change quick after 1 month no wine you will to
Tip it out Day 1 again here x

Dee74 05-11-2017 02:41 AM

Welcome to SR BelieveAgain :)

When I found this place I was at my lowest ebb, The community here helped me recover my life and my dignity and turn my life around.

I know we can help you do the same:)

D

instant 05-11-2017 02:53 AM

I found that it took me long time to make the change that was needed.

Total sobriety works for me, and I love it, I have myself, my life and my family back

CreativeThinker 05-11-2017 08:50 AM

Welcome BelieveAgain!

Wine hangovers...ugh! I do not miss them! Hang in there and keep posting here on SR. You'll find a lot of information and support here!

:tyou