Notices

Good Morning -- Day 3

Old 05-09-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Morning -- Day 3

Today is Day 3 and I can honestly say I already feel better and feel better about myself. I am truly taking this one day at a time, not worrying about tomorrow just today. I think I finally made the decision that I don't want to be like my dad. I do understand why he was they way he was he had a really hard life lost two sons so I am sure he was in a lot of pain. So like him I am an emotional overdrinker trying to dull the pain I am in. Feeling these feelings is a bit hard and crying about it a bit more, but I think it's healthier to get it out and find my way through. And thanks to all the people here I may make it this time.

Everyone have wonderful day will check in again later.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on taking it one day at a time!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jack,

Totally relate.

I was 1 day, 1 hour, 1 second at a time for a long time.

Now being sober is the norm.

Drinking would be strange.

I guess that is the goal.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is good news. Feelings do not kill us. What we do with those feelings can make or break our health though. Now the real work begins.

I drank to avoid feelings. I also drank alcohol to drink alcohol. There was not much gained from the avoidance of feelings. I also didnt gain anything from drinking just to drink.

You are doing this!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great perspective, jacksdaughter. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. Very powerful stuff there.

Buying into one day at a time was huge for me. Huge. Sometimes it was one minute or one hour at a time. But not worrying about tomorrow, or making a long term decision to drink alcohol or not released a lot of pressure.

I've been living one day at a time, for the most part anyway, for over 2 years now. I've come to love my sobriety so much, I'll do anything to protect it. Never thought I'd buy into being sober that long. But at the end of the day, my day was better over all when I didn't drink. And for that day, and that day only, I chose not to.

And what you said about your Dad is powerful too. My dad was an abusive alcoholic. I bacame an all day drunk after he died. I spent most of my adult life burying the pain he caused. That pain showed itself upon his death in a big way.

Sure wish I had reconciled that years earlier. As a result, I destroyed a 15yr marriage and a 20yr career and was not too far from taking my own life. 35 plus years of burying it. 35 years of tossing it around in my subconscious. 35 years with a lack of confidence and self doubt. 35years of self destructive ways.

Super glad to read what you posted. Very powerful and life changing if you stick with it.