Notices

My First Ever Business Trip

Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Ever Business Trip

Sooooo, I was told a week or two ago that I will be flying with my team for work for 3 nights to meet our brokers and to tour a rig (which I have never done). I have never been on a business trip... EVER! No clue what to expect. I am not looking forward to being put in the position of people drinking which I assume they will knowing my team. I have been sober for 10 months and have no plans on going back but just wanted to get advice and other people's experience. I have not disclosed to my team that I do not drink. I have been w/ them for 2 years so they are well aware i did at one point. I am not really close w/ any of them. It will be a new experience that I wouldn't want to give up just because I don't drink. Positive vibes
Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

If you are meeting brokers and touring, I imagine there will be wining and dining involved. Are you buying anything? Are the brokers clients or are you the client? If you are the client, you can set the tone easier. My team drinks a fair amount at meetings, and customer dinners, I order a non-alcoholic beverage, and to be honest, none one has ever said anything. You can say you are on a short course of meds and you cannot drink if pressed. You can have a great time, and be sharp and focused and have fun on the trip all while staying sober! you got this, good luck
Old 05-08-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
If you are meeting brokers and touring, I imagine there will be wining and dining involved. Are you buying anything? Are the brokers clients or are you the client? If you are the client, you can set the tone easier. My team drinks a fair amount at meetings, and customer dinners, I order a non-alcoholic beverage, and to be honest, none one has ever said anything. You can say you are on a short course of meds and you cannot drink if pressed. You can have a great time, and be sharp and focused and have fun on the trip all while staying sober! you got this, good luck
The brokers are our clients?? We pay them a lot of money. They will be buying our dinners and whatever else. I am sure there will be wining and dining involved. I have been to broker dinners before and just manage w/ a non alcohol beverage but that is always a few hours and then I can go home! It is just nerve wracking because of the unexpected. I am just putting it out there to all my peoples Oh and I def am not in charge here on this trip. I am at the bottom of the food chain lol
Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be firm. You're a non drinker. Period. Just like other people are diabetic.

Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to explain, Linz

D
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There might be a fair bit of having to "tag along" to things after hours if you are not in charge. You might feel you can't beg off social things. It is fair enough that you go and join everyone for dinner. However, once the main social obligation is over (e.g. dinner) you should not feel you have to "kick on" (a thing that I frequently used to do and it rarely ended well). You should not have to go onto a bar or club or whatever. If I were you, I'd just quietly say good night at the end of dinner and go back to your accommodation. If they are a big drinking group, there will be hangovers nursed the next day, breakfast skipped, even possibly people coming in late for morning meetings etc., but your absence from the big evening out will NOT be missed. You'll be sharp and on top of your game (and so, before you know it you will no longer be "bottom of the food chain" ).
Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I travel quite often for work, and it was my downfall several times. I've made it through a few week-long trips sober, and trust me, it feels so much better traveling while not hungover.

First off, PLAN ahead. Bring workout clothes and plan to get up early and go to the gym. Even if all you do is walk the treadmill, just plan for it.

Order a non-alcoholic drink right away, so that you don't have that empty hand. If someone asks if you want alcohol, just say up front "I don't drink." Most people will drop the subject immediately because either that answer was enough for them, or they just don't care enough to dig deeper into your meaning behind that answer.

Finally, if everyone else is drinking, you're not missing out on anything...instead, you now have the upper hand by remaining sober and clear headed. You'll really be able to read people, and maybe even take some mental notes you can use in the future. And continue to tell yourself this "I won't feel awful tomorrow morning"...that helped me so much, knowing I was going to be at the gym, clear headed, and taking on the day, instead of hungover.

Just some thoughts. Hope it goes well.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am really loving all the replies! Thank you. I can come back and read them while I am gone so keep them coming! There is nothing they could do to get me to drink! I have to much of a life centered around recovery but it's just the likely coming out of I don't drink anymore which sounds stupid. I mean they will notice after a few days but honestly I Am getting to where I don't care anymore. I told another coworker / friend that isn't going on the trip I stopped and she never said anything again. I mean if this is my life this is my life. I will make a plan!! That's something I have been consistent with.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been on a few training trips. Even when I was drinking I never drank on the trips. I always thought of it as being at work since I was representing my company well I was there. When we would go for dinner I always like others, ordered a non alcoholic drink and no one batted an eye at it. I have never been asked why I was not drinking.

I think for the most part as long as you're not questioning why they are drinking they never question why you're not LOL
Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here, Linz. I hope your business trip goes well. You may be surprised that people don't pay much attention to what you're drinking.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I had to go on a trip not more than three weeks after I quit. What made it more challenging (in my mind) was that there was going to be folks there that knew me as a party guy.

I got a couple, " What, you're not drinking? Then it was not a big deal at all. I woke up refreshed and ready for a full day of meetings not hungover.

Most drinkers don't care if you are drinking, as long as they are. Also, I discovered that most people only drink one or two, and then are done. It's quite the concept for an alcoholic.

Enjoy your trip and good meals.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I had to go on a trip not more than three weeks after I quit. What made it more challenging (in my mind) was that there was going to be folks there that knew me as a party guy.

I got a couple, " What, you're not drinking? Then it was not a big deal at all. I woke up refreshed and ready for a full day of meetings not hungover.

Most drinkers don't care if you are drinking, as long as they are. Also, I discovered that most people only drink one or two, and then are done. It's quite the concept for an alcoholic.

Enjoy your trip and good meals.
Yeah I had to do "team building " which was really an excuse for them to drink and I ordered coffee and everyone was like "are you sure??" I'm like yes! It was awkward . One moment at a time!! Thanks for the input. You guys always make me feel empowered
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great advice on here. My business life, quite honestly, is what has been making quitting so very, very had. All of my relapses began while on business. I had a successful travel a could of weeks ago, but then had an unsuccessful one last week. Good luck Linz.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"It gives me terrible heartburn" is a line that has worked for me in a pinch. No one can reasonably expect you to make yourself ill in the name of team building.

Being the calm, professional, sober one will earn you respect, sometimes begrudgingly, but respect nonetheless.

You can do this.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I really just have to get thru this one because likely I won't be on another one. This is a special deal. I'm just trying to be grateful for the opportunity. No one can push me to do anything! I just like to prepare and freak out in advance I'll enjoy my king size bed in a hotel and the access to the gym any other good one liners that people like?