Notices

Planning for boredom

Old 05-06-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning for boredom

The main nemesis I have with alcohol is boredom. More than anxiety, more than depression, alcohol always meant I could alleviate boredom.

So a big part of my recovery plan was making a big effort to not allow myself to get bored for too long. In other words don't sit around watching tv for hours and hours and hours.

The other day I sprained my ankle on stairs (I recently moved and its quite an old cottage so the stairs aren't all the same, meaning I overshot a smaller step sending me down).

So that means two things: I am off work for a few weeks and I cannot exercise, which was a big part of my "not getting bored" plan.

I need to find ways to fill my days then I guess.

Aside from reading and playing videogames, I actually planned on practicing magic with a deck of cards, my partner loves magic and surprising her with a trick, even a simple one for her birthday would probably be a really nice surprise.

Got to get creative before the boredom demons start telling me to drink!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think it's boredom so much as our inability to think of fun without a bottle or a drug as accompaniment - but you can get through that and create a new default

The beautiful thing about recovery is you can do whatever you want - your only really limits are your wallet and your imagination

Some great ideas here to start you off
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 05-06-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

Maybe this is too counterintuitive for me to say, but personally it helps me to not fear the boredom. I've been bored plenty of times (with too much time on my hands as well) and it never led to a relapse because drinking was still out of the question.

It's great to stay busy, but I thought I'd share what works for me when being busy just isn't happening.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

aRT, DOCO'S- HEAPS ON UTUBE (learn stuff). Go to library. Journal, write, share here, cook, read a real book.
Support to you.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Sorry about your ankle, Hitch.

What I've learned in sobriety that boredom is not that bad as it's demonized by modern society.

"Boredom" can be looked at as absence of meaningless fuss, shutting down distractions and listening to the silence. Some deliberately created spot of emptiness which opens doors to profound satisfaction of higher quality compared to just filling time with sense of busyness.

Since you are grounded at home reading, watching documentaries, reviving long-forgotten hobbies or self-education activities may be a good option.

It's also a good chance to catch up with lots of wisdom at SR)

But whatever you choose to do - don't listen to Addictive Voice. It will tell all sorts of BS. Tell it to get the hell away.

Good luck to you.

Keep posting.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeathBox View Post
I've been bored plenty of times (with too much time on my hands as well) and it never led to a relapse because drinking was still out of the question.
I took drinking off the table for me. Therefore, it will never be an option and has not been a thought since I got spiritually fit.

If I was in your position I would take the ankle injury as a sign that I need to slow down. You are given an opportunity to spend time away from work, gym, other physical activities to fill in the gap with something missing in your program. Take a moment (meditate) and find out what are you lacking to balance your life (spiritual, emotional, physical).

Good luck
Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don;t think it's boredom so much as our inability to think of fun without a bottle or a drug as accompaniment - but you can get through that and create a new default

The beautiful thing about recovery is you can do whatever you want - your only really limits are your wallet and your imagination

Some great ideas here to start you off
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Thanks Dee, yeah I'm certainly re-learning how to have fun without drinking. Its actually been kind of an exciting experience, especially with stuff like reading and music, which just to me not being emotionally numb from the booze has been like moving from black and white to technicolor. So I'm looking at it as an adventure.