Notices

Give up

Old 05-06-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Give up

There's no disease here. People call themselves alcoholics so they can dignify their failings. Give it a label like they do with every unpleasant trait. I admit, I drink because I'm a weak minded ********.
I reckon it's just a sliding scale. We all like nice things, only some people don't behave sensibly around them. Most people are able to act like responsible adults. They've grown up to understand what reality is and how you can't take refuge in some medicated, delusional fantasy world. Other people are stupid and/or weak.
If you can't stop drinking then maybe you shouldn't stop drinking. What you're doing is creating an ideal, and ideals are imaginary.
If it's not easy then it's not meant to be. Effort will be counterproductive - think about anorexics and bulimics where it's all based on a delusion and the more you struggle the more you are caught.
Don't think about alcohol as a problem because it's not. The problem only starts when you force yourself to stop drinking. I wish I'd been oblivous to all this "helpful advice" about drinking when I was younger. I've been struggling with drinking for most of my adult life and it all started because when I was told that drinking was such a terrible thing.
My drinking's out of control - I guess your is. Obviously that doesn't prove causation - even so, it's strange that it's me that's the drunk rather than all my other friends who in their youth couldn't give a **** about whether they drank too much.
The solution to the "problem" creates the problem. Give up the "giving up," that's what I reckon.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My normal drinking friends can have 2 drinks and stop comfortably. It is impossible for me to stop at 2 without feeling extreme anguish and irritability.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't stop either. What does that prove? Maybe it proves that you've got a complex about it and they haven't. And it's a complex you have because you're always trying to control it.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Don't think about alcohol as a problem because it's not. The problem only starts when you force yourself to stop drinking.
So if drinking isn't your problem, what is? Quitting? Or staying quit?

And if sobriety isn't your intention, why post here? A recovery forum? Perhaps a drinking forum would suit you better.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really don't follow.

So...you are an "out of control" alcoholic because other people pressured you to stop drinking?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's no disease here. People call themselves alcoholics so they can dignify their failings. .
???
Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here we go, "why post here?" Alright Carl keep the alcohol forum to yourself then.
And yes, Ariesagain I do think that the pressure to stop drinking makes it a problem. The problem is in my head. I create the problem myself. My desire to stop creates my desire to drink obsessively.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Creative thinker, shouldn't a question mark follow a question?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not going to start spouting off definitions of words.. but it seems like that's where the misunderstanding lies here.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you might need to be a bit clearer than that.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There's no disease here. People call themselves alcoholics so they can dignify their failings. Give it a label like they do with every unpleasant trait. I admit, I drink because I'm a weak minded ********.
I reckon it's just a sliding scale. We all like nice things, only some people don't behave sensibly around them. Most people are able to act like responsible adults. They've grown up to understand what reality is and how you can't take refuge in some medicated, delusional fantasy world. Other people are stupid and/or weak.
If you can't stop drinking then maybe you shouldn't stop drinking. What you're doing is creating an ideal, and ideals are imaginary.
If it's not easy then it's not meant to be. Effort will be counterproductive - think about anorexics and bulimics where it's all based on a delusion and the more you struggle the more you are caught.
Don't think about alcohol as a problem because it's not. The problem only starts when you force yourself to stop drinking. I wish I'd been oblivous to all this "helpful advice" about drinking when I was younger. I've been struggling with drinking for most of my adult life and it all started because when I was told that drinking was such a terrible thing.
My drinking's out of control - I guess your is. Obviously that doesn't prove causation - even so, it's strange that it's me that's the drunk rather than all my other friends who in their youth couldn't give a **** about whether they drank too much.
The solution to the "problem" creates the problem. Give up the "giving up," that's what I reckon.
Where did you get your tagline from? Just curious.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't stop either. What does that prove? Maybe it proves that you've got a complex about it and they haven't. And it's a complex you have because you're always trying to control it.
If you can't stop either, then that means you are at risk of severe consequences from drinking once you start. My attempt to always try and control alcohol is a problem I have that other normal drinkers don't. Everyone has different issues. The sooner you accept your problem of alcoholism, the sooner you will be free of its hold over you.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry Brenda, that sounded a bit rude, but it's not meant like that. Pippi, what's a tagline?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry Brenda, that sounded a bit rude, but it's not meant like that. Pippi, what's a tagline?
"I have a world of knowledge, but a universe of ignorance. "
Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it up myself
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I made it up myself
Well, it is very telling.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know whether to take that as an insult or an insult.
xx
Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know whether to take that as an insult or an insult.
xx
Haha! Both. Glad you can see the humor in it. I kind of like you, now.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You admitted you can't stop drinking once you start. Stop analyzing why that is and keep it simple - stay away from the first drink.😀
Old 05-06-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
You admitted you can't stop drinking once you start. Stop analyzing why that is and keep it simple - stay away from the first drink.😀
Sounds to me like he doesn't really want to, which it 100% fine. We all know we can't/won't truly get sober unless we want it.