Notices

Give up

Old 05-06-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Working makes me drink. I sober up when I'm working, and working puts the idea of drinking into my mind. When I'm not working, I see it as leisure time, which means it's time for drinking.
It's insanity.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
No, what i meant was, in what sentence was "is" used that made him wanted it defined.
Contending that his statement that "there's nothing going on between us" had been truthful because he had no ongoing relationship with Lewinsky at the time he was questioned, Clinton said, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Working makes me drink. I sober up when I'm working, and working puts the idea of drinking into my mind. When I'm not working, I see it as leisure time, which means it's time for drinking.
It's insanity.
Dang. And here I thought you just said it was the thought of quitting that made you drink. I just checked, and I'm not the one drinking wine here, Taplow. You're not making sense, man. Not at all.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's insanity.
That's for sure!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've stopped before - I had nearly 8 years of sober misery until 2011 when I emerged from my shell. Don't get me wrong, I really want to get back in there.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

There's no disease here. People call themselves alcoholics so they can dignify their failings. Give it a label like they do with every unpleasant trait. I admit, I drink because I'm a weak minded ********.
I reckon it's just a sliding scale. We all like nice things, only some people don't behave sensibly around them. Most people are able to act like responsible adults. They've grown up to understand what reality is and how you can't take refuge in some medicated, delusional fantasy world. Other people are stupid and/or weak.
If you can't stop drinking then maybe you shouldn't stop drinking. What you're doing is creating an ideal, and ideals are imaginary.
If it's not easy then it's not meant to be. Effort will be counterproductive - think about anorexics and bulimics where it's all based on a delusion and the more you struggle the more you are caught.
Don't think about alcohol as a problem because it's not. The problem only starts when you force yourself to stop drinking. I wish I'd been oblivous to all this "helpful advice" about drinking when I was younger. I've been struggling with drinking for most of my adult life and it all started because when I was told that drinking was such a terrible thing.
My drinking's out of control - I guess your is. Obviously that doesn't prove causation - even so, it's strange that it's me that's the drunk rather than all my other friends who in their youth couldn't give a **** about whether they drank too much.
The solution to the "problem" creates the problem. Give up the "giving up," that's what I reckon.
i drank because i had untreated alcoholism.
i never tried to make my failings seem worthy or impressive.
if you cant stop drinking, then you should find help. never think you because you cant stop you should continue.
getting sober wasnt easy and it was meant to be for everyone.
alcohol was the common denominator in allof my problems.
the solution has given me a pretty nice life which wouldnt have come about if i didnt start living it. solutions never created problems for me
. my drunken,know-it-all, super intelligent ignorance kept me drunk,though.

sure hope ya come back tomorrow or when ya stop drinking. its a pretty nice life sober- one i think you'd enjoy.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Dang. And here I thought you just said it was the thought of quitting that made you drink. I just checked, and I'm not the one drinking wine here, Taplow. You're not making sense, man. Not at all.
You'll have to spell it out a bit. Where did you check, wikipedia?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I've stopped before - I had nearly 8 years of sober misery until 2011 when I emerged from my shell. Don't get me wrong, I really want to get back in there.
WOW! Couldn't have been too miserable if you maintained 8 years of sobriety. No?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It's insanity.
yes it is insanity, and part of the insanity is blaming people,places,and/or things for drinking.
i can have the idea of drinking in my head, but it is me that acts on it,so its me that makes me drink.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i drank because i had untreated alcoholism.
i never tried to make my failings seem worthy or impressive.
if you cant stop drinking, then you should find help. never think you because you cant stop you should continue.
getting sober wasnt easy and it was meant to be for everyone.
alcohol was the common denominator in allof my problems.
the solution has given me a pretty nice life which wouldnt have come about if i didnt start living it. solutions never created problems for me
. my drunken,know-it-all, super intelligent ignorance kept me drunk,though.
sure hope ya come back tomorrow or when ya stop drinking. its a pretty nice life sober- one i think you'd enjoy.
Thank you tomsteve. Good post.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're saying you're the problem and not alcohol, then I agree...but thats about the only thing I can agree on here.

If it's not easy then it's not meant to be. Effort will be counterproductive -
You're a really nice sensitive guy Taplow - but you don't half go on with some BS when you're drinking....

Getting sober and staying that way was the hardest thing I ever did - It took me 15 years to do it....but it was worth it. It still is.

If there's one thing I could exhort people to do - especially in this Newcomers forum - it's to NOT give up.

That goes double for you too Taplow.

Obviously whatever you're doing for your recovery isn't working...add some stuff, ask for help, face the fear, feel a little uncomfortable for a little while ...

increase the effort (not decrease) and you'l figure it out

D
Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Your post taplow has reminded me why I never want to go back to drinking... the underlying anger, jumbled and nonsensical thoughts that shine through while intoxicated... I don't ever want to experience that again.
So thanks and I hope you stop drinking toot sweet.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

If you're drinking that much it'll only be a matter of time before people notice the smell or the shakes.

I learned the hard way.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well, if you were happy drinking and were not worried about (or suffering from) the consequences, you would not have joined a recovery forum.

You can rationalize and analyze all you want but if drinking was agreeing with you, you would not be here.
Normal people who get tipsy don't post here to try to justify their actions; they just party a bit then move on with their lives.

I hope you will stay safe and get a good night of sleep. Try to drink a lot of water or gatorade to minimize the hangover.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

How come you are so angry?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I can't stop either. What does that prove? Maybe it proves that you've got a complex about it and they haven't. And it's a complex you have because you're always trying to control it.
I can't stop either, but a long time I could. That at least indicates that I am an alcoholic even if it is not absolute proof.

Causation is for scientific researchers to discover from analysing a lot of data. I would say recover first and worry about causation down the line.

Last edited by saoutchik; 05-06-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
I thought it was quite simple myself. One truth needn't neccesarily make everything else false.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
yes it is insanity, and part of the insanity is blaming people,places,and/or things for drinking.
i can have the idea of drinking in my head, but it is me that acts on it,so its me that makes me drink.
On here, if it's not a positive, heartwarming message, it means you've got to spell everything out. It's not about wrong or right, it's about facts. The fact is that I've made drinking such a problem myself. I built it up into this big thing, and now I'm stuck.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
How come you are so angry?
How come you are so judgemental?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Your post taplow has reminded me why I never want to go back to drinking... the underlying anger, jumbled and nonsensical thoughts that shine through while intoxicated... I don't ever want to experience that again.
So thanks and I hope you stop drinking toot sweet.
I'm glad I could enlighten you by showing you what a tosser I am. So clearly now you're cleansed of anger and your thoughts are clear and lucid. Maybe you could use these gifts to explain why these thoughts of mine are so ridiculous, or is that too much to ask?