Notices

First time poster

Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time poster

Hi all i'm David

This is my first post on any forum. I'm 32 have been struggling with alcohol and cannabis since the age of 15. Also have been a gambling addict since the age of 12. Over the past 2 years have managed to control my gambling haven't gambled in over a year now. Cannabis has been down to one smoke a night for over a year. Alcohol however has gotten steadily worse in the past 9 years. Used to drink at weekends only, always a friday and saturday where i would drink both days approx 25 units a day usually 10 beers or so. Then i would suffer for several days while using cannabis to help with withdrawal symptoms during the week. Each friday I was back on it. Soon it was Sunday aswell. I suffer from anxiety and always used it to socialize never really left the house during the week. After many failed attempts to socialize and meet women etc I met my now wife when I was 26. My excuse up to then was anxiety etc but since then I have not been able to stop. Its still friday,sat,sunday then several days of hangover, anxiety depression hell then back to it again. Went to a councilor in January after finally admitting I had a problem. Managed a month sober then in febuary it was a friends birthday thought it would be fine to have a drink but it has spiraled again. Last weekend I drank on saturday through to wednesday approx 30 units a day. Each day I just woke up and started again. Managed to stop and am on day 3 sober now which is extra difficult because its a weekend and my triggers are friday-sunday. I'm very thankful I don't crave it during the week but just can't do this anymore. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed it. I used to listen to music with friends etc and at least have fun but now I just drink beers or anything I have as fast as possible to get drunk. I even started drinking vodka straight because I have no interest in mixers or taste of anything is just purely for the alcohol. I just want to stop now because iv'e finally admitted I can't do it one night without a major risk of a binge. I have told my friends to stay away not ring me etc which has been really difficult but they are all the same so I must stay away to have a chance of stopping. Anyway that's the shortest version of my life story I can post right now. This forum is great and I hope to get help and hopefully help others with similar stories to change aswell.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Someday,

This forum has a lot of great members who will offer you plenty of support. The support has helped me tremendously and I hope you will find the same!

You are very smart to address the problem now instead of waiting until you are my age!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dave,

You have already won half the fight by wanting to quit.

I believe since you are a binge drinker, you will suffer kindling, PAWS, and PTSD.

I suffer still a bit at 2 years sober.

Education about what I was dealing w, from SR and the www, saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Someday-Glad you're here!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 05-06-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome David! I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, David! I concur with what others have said here and this board, is most definitely a good source of help and support. The hardest but most vital step, is to not have another drink. I know, easy, right? But you have to stop and then, when you can, you have to think about a plan; AA, rehab, physical and/or mental health care, etc. You can't do it alone. A prayer from me, bud!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi David
Old 05-06-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses. I am planning to start AA as soon as possible problem is I have social anxiety it took alot out of me to go to one to one counselling although once I did it helped alot.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David, Welcome!

You will find lots of support here and lots of ideas on recovery. This link has lots of good information about different recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. You don't have to talk at AA meetings. I suffer from anxiety and depression and dread going to meetings, but they do help. Tell them this is your first meeting. It might be someone else's first meeting too. And I have always found the people to be really nice. Someone will probably give you there number. Besides if the anxiety is too much you can always decide not to go in to the meeting. Plenty of people have done that. But at least you tried. You made an effort which is a step in the right direction. Just like posting here was a step in the right direction. You can do it. Just have to keep trying.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR someday

This place helped me change my life - there's a lot of support, advice and encouragement here

I know we can help you too

D
Old 05-06-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, David. This is the best place ever for encouragement & helpful discussions.

When I was 32 I was in the same situation as you. Unfortunately, I didn't do anything to help myself. I kept insisting drinking could be enjoyable if I used willpower to just have a few. Naturally, that was impossible. Once the first drink was in my system, all my plans to manage it went out the window. I ended up dependent on it to get through the day. So much needless damage & wasted time. I'm glad you know what needs to be done. You'll be saving yourself so much grief. Glad you are here.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome David - thanks for posting!!! You're post helped me a lot as I can relate to so much of it. Glad you're here!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support. I was nearly drinking today, decided to check the forums first. Has saved me. Iv'e been have vivid bad dreams for the last 3 nights been waking up 5 or so times during the night. Almost felt like having a drink is better than waking up feeling like this. Is a beautiful day and there are some people partying next door in the garden. I thought i'd love to have a drink in the garden and listen to music. Caught myself on realizing if I had a drink I wouldn't get anywhere near the garden I would be drunk within a few hours then get angry at myself and then drink more. Would end up back where I started 4 days ago starting again. This site has been a godsend
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi David. Glad you found us and are here and posting.
Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, David!
Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

David - You're so right - there is no 'drink in the garden' for us. We always end up drinking more than we intended, & back into the fog we go. You didn't cave - well done.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you came here first - thats the way to do it David

D