Notices

The Struggle

Old 05-06-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Struggle

I am posting in the Newcomers section because after 9 years I fell and it has been about a year and I cant get right.

I know what I did in the past and it worked. Now I find myself alone with no support system. My meeting attendance has been non existent one here and there. I have dug myself into a hole that seems to deep to get out of. On second thought it is not to deep to get out of, I will just be a much different person once free. I am scared of the consequences. Change is the solution, but the pain of change is so great it cripples me with inaction.

Acting like there is no problem for a week or so until the stress of not working a program and having no support system leads to the break down.

Making these changes in my life are going to be so painful. Knowing what to do and not doing it makes me feel like the dumbest person in the world. The feeling of letting myself down is the hardest to overcome.

In addition to the substance I feel like I have a load of other problems, same as everyone. I'm just going to have to get back to one day at a time. Taking each problem as it comes and work through it. Time to stop digging and let the bottom be the bottom.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I had to do the same thing. You'll be so glad when you're done.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try your own affirmation through the pain, such as, ¨it sucks now, but this is for long-term gain.¨

Keep fighting the fight and reaching out
Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU. JUST DO IT, YES? I would rather have a go and feel crap- rather than just feel crap.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Old 05-06-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thinking

As the day goes on I continue to think about the path ahead. I feel good about the journey ahead. I am looking forward to gaining back a spiritual perspective and gratitude. It has been so long and I got so far off track that I was lost. I feel like being on here talking is like looking at the map and planning the journey.

I have so much work to do. This initial clean up is going to be gratifying. Thanks for all the support.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MarkG;6445483
I'm just going to have to get back to one day at a time. Taking each problem as it comes and work through it. Time to stop digging and let the bottom be the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good start Mark. There's loads of support here...keep posting!

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

In this together Mark
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take one day at a time. Exercise helps me a lot.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mark - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Mark! I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
As the day goes on I continue to think about the path ahead. I feel good about the journey ahead. I am looking forward to gaining back a spiritual perspective and gratitude. It has been so long and I got so far off track that I was lost. I feel like being on here talking is like looking at the map and planning the journey.

I have so much work to do. This initial clean up is going to be gratifying. Thanks for all the support.
Man I love SR. I can so so relate to everything you're saying. I totally get it. Have been feeling the same things. I had over 7 years - ended up going out and I've been out for 10 years. Struggling to find my place again and hear things in a new way as a newcomer. This site has been saving my a$$. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkG View Post

Making these changes in my life are going to be so painful. Knowing what to do and not doing it makes me feel like the dumbest person in the world. The feeling of letting myself down is the hardest to overcome.
you may feel dumb, but that's a lie. youre not dumb or you wouldn't know what the solution is.
besides, youre not a dumb person, but a sick one and there is a solution.

ya say its gonna be painful, but remember what ya typed here:
"This initial clean up is going to be gratifying."

reads like youre already startin on the gratitude.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark and don't future trip. Live in the moment and everything will work out. Like the Chinese Proverb: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Starting with Gratitude

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
you may feel dumb, but that's a lie. youre not dumb or you wouldn't know what the solution is.
besides, youre not a dumb person, but a sick one and there is a solution.

ya say its gonna be painful, but remember what ya typed here:
"This initial clean up is going to be gratifying."

reads like youre already startin on the gratitude.
I tend to think and analyze things in an effort to really understand them. In my experience my first thoughts on a subject or feelings are jaded by experience of defects. This allows me to lie to myself. Writing and thinking help me to see the truth. Once I get to the bottom of a faulty line of reasoning and feeling sorry for myself I realize the truth.

The truth is so many friends are no longer here. Get busy living. Get up one foot in front of the other. Take the BS as it comes. Handle what I can handle and put the rest in the zerofux column.

Today I am grateful to be sitting at a computer, while my wife and kids are in the house, my truck sits outside with tools in it, and I have more work than I can handle. I'm going to finish my coffee, work on just not taking the first one today, and tough love myself into dealing with life on lifes terms. If I had a lot more more I would hire the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket to follow me and motivate me. That is just how I function. Heavy doses of reality, truth in the rawest form, and someone to say "Shut UP and DO the Work You Know You Have to DO.