Notices

How do you keep going?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you keep going?

Just looking for input on what others do to continue putting one foot in front of the other to maintain your sobriety when you're feeling overwhelmed and totally hopeless.

Sometimes I just don't even see the point when my life is such a mess.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm just gonna ballpark it here, but i suspect your life is a mess BECAUSE of your addictions. and so step #1 on regaining control of your life and your circumstances is to...........stop using. quit throwing gasoline on the fire.

you have a job prospect just around the corner. don't mess that up! hang tough. figure out ways to survive the storm. as my mom used to say - don't throw good money after bad.

even tho it sounds like a depressing idea at the moment, build a budget. and aim for financial solvency. recovery involves ALL aspects of our lives.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed on the above- in baby steps. Really baby steps were all I could do at the beginning.

I had to quit drinking- everything else came from that.

Have you thought about a program? AA saved my life and the act of going to meetings (I did 82 in my first 90 days and still go to 3-5 a week at 14 plus mo sober) was a big part of getting a NEW routine established.

You can get through things that are seemingly overwhelming- life is that way for all of us sometimes!- and stay sober. There is lots of support and plan explanations here.

Hope to see you around.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
Sometimes I just don't even see the point when my life is such a mess.
That's exactly where you addiction wants you. Overwhelmed and hopeless and easily swayed by the false promise of our drug to feel better.

You came to SR to get clean. You do that by sticking to your goal, one foot in front of the other. Each step one further from your addiction.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was hard for me to 'see the point' early in recovery. I still had a lot of depression and guilt over my drinking. I was fortunate to have an excellent counselor I saw once a week.

I had to take a lot on faith alone. I had to trust that things would get better if I stayed sober, and they did. My life isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better sober.

In early recovery, things often look bleak and hopeless, but they're not. Stay sober and work on yourself and your well being. In time, the depression should lift. And if it doesn't get better, have a talk with your doctor. Depression is treatable.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One foot in front of the other, one day at a time. Alcohol does have a way of beating you so down and making you feel worthless that all you think you have left is the booze.
This is what the monster wants, but you don't have to be that way.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

I am diagnosed with depression and anxiety, which I take Effexor for. Unfortunately, due to my financial situation my insurance has lapsed and I can't afford my medication. Another source of worry for me.

There is a sliding scale clinic here in town that my sponsor has given me a direction to call. I'll be doing that on Monday.

That said, I know that from previous times when I maintained a decent amount of sobriety my depression was lifted considerably just because I was working the program and being an active participant in my life and recovery.

Right now I'm still struggling to get out of bed due to heroin withdrawal, depression, and anxiety. I feel a crushing weight on my shoulders every second that I'm awake.

I've never dealt with this part of recovery outside of a treatment center where I'm required to get up and do things and stick to a schedule. It's really scary.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KM

in the beginning I just took it a day at a time - I committed to staying sober every morning ( same goes for clearing up the mess by the way - piece by piece bit by bit you will get there)

Try and not be discouraged - sounds like you're doing great

D