Notices

Wish I could jump forward....

Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wish I could jump forward....

...to when I have weeks, months of sobriety under my belt. I'm so scared that this is going to be tough and horrible. My biggest fear is that I'll be sober but depressed and anxious as heck. I know I've used alcohol to self medicate depression and anxiety and I'm frightened that they'll come flooding back. I'm scared nothing will change and I'll still be broke, struggling and lonely. I know it's all AV talking rubbish but these are my fears and it's why I've not committed fully to abstaining for the rest of my life. I frightened to discover who I really am without alcohol and I'm frightened that life won't improve with sobriety.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just read the interview with Brad Pitt in GQ. He talks about facing ourselves. Interesting insights. Probably worth checking it out. Many of us feel this way.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people feel this way early on and it is sometimes frustrating to hear (and have to accept) that "time takes time." I was told early on to look at time as a gift- the gift of healing, the gift of learning, the gift of finding what our new lives will be. That helped me be more patient.

Truly, for me, while time sometimes seemed So. Slow. Ugh. - now, it seems the past 437 days have gone by quickly.

And for me- and many others- life is not what we ever would have expected in sobriety- and so much better than we could have imagined. Regardless of its ups and downs, challenges and frustrations - this life I have is better than anything I had then, or could ask for now.

Keep going.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
I'm frightened that life won't improve with sobriety.
An understandable fear, but an unsupported one. You haven't had enough sobriety to gauge what life will be like. So give it a try. Attain a year sobriety and see how your life is. I assure you, in a year you will have a different opinion.

However, there's no shortcut to that year. You have to get there the same way as every other recovered alcoholic...one day at a time.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
I'm frightened that life won't improve with sobriety.
My life didn't get better just because I became sober.

By becoming sober I was able to MAKE my life better.

What are you doing to MAKE your life better? Such a better use of your mental energy!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been reading these forums for three months and have not read of one person saying they were sorry they got Sober. Believe me, it is worth the effort!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

one of the things that kept me drinking was my fear of my feelings. in particular, my painful feelings, my depression and anxiety.

I was pretty sure I would crumble like a dry leaf if I had to experience my pain.

Well, I didn't crumble. I felt sad and cried. Like really sad and cried hard. And then I got up, dusted myself off and carried on. What didn't kill me actually made me feel lighter and stronger.

I discovered that pain and tough feelings are part of life and I want to live ALL of my life, not just the easy bits.

nonever, you can do this
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I think a lot of people feel this way early on and it is sometimes frustrating to hear (and have to accept) that "time takes time." I was told early on to look at time as a gift- the gift of healing, the gift of learning, the gift of finding what our new lives will be. That helped me be more patient.

Truly, for me, while time sometimes seemed So. Slow. Ugh. - now, it seems the past 437 days have gone by quickly.

And for me- and many others- life is not what we ever would have expected in sobriety- and so much better than we could have imagined. Regardless of its ups and downs, challenges and frustrations - this life I have is better than anything I had then, or could ask for now.

Keep going.
This is what I cling to because I'm struggling big time. "so much better than we could have imagined"
Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stopping drinking won't solve all your problems, but it will give you the clarity and ability to deal with the issues in your life. You can do this!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Your sober life is going to be WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!
You are "holding the reins" so take control and start to build a better life one day at a time. You can't move on if you don't let go of how you were coping in the past.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Being scared of something you have no control over, a future that has not happened- really is emotionally draining. Go to lots of meetings- surround yourself with others. Support to you.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you didn't go through all the stuff that we have to go through you wouldn't appreciate your sobriety as much!You must earn it. It makes you not want to ever have to go through that again!