Notices

Ultimatum

Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sprtslife View Post
I guess they forget what they may have been like while going thru a time like this. I mean gees.
Quite the contrary Sprtslife - we remember precisely what it feels like to go through what you are going through. Many here are also going through exactly what you are going through currently.

What people are trying to tell is you that many of us did exactly what you are doing - we fought tooth and nail against anyone telling us our drinking was a problem. How dare anyone suggest that we aren't completely in control of our facilities in life? They have no right....we pay the bills and don't pass out drunk on the floor in front of our kids so there must not have been a problem, right?

That's the epitome of addiction - denial. We of course don't know your personal life, but I can tell you that people don't generally just "make up" ultimatums out of the blue. You yourself have suggested that you think drinking is something you'd be better off without.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well of course drinking is something anyone would be better off without. Especially from a health standpoint. My wife would be better off eating more salad instead of pizza. But I don't tell her eat more salad, or I'm leaving! "I'm not gonna sit here and watch you die of heart diasese."
Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Options:
Quit drinking and get treatment or leave?
Leave and continue drinking?

Is there anyway to talk with your wife about your concerns? Relationships are a two way street. Let her know of your concerns regarding her sugar and nicotine consumption.

I do understand that you are in a situation where you have no other option but to stop due to housing. If you had money to relocate would you choose to continue drinking and move?
Is there a middle ground here? Could you drink a few nights a week and the rest you are sober?
Do you have control with your drinking?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Bingo you hit the nail on the head! Would I move out if I had housing you ask?

How about this; would she have given me an ultimatum if I had those resources, and I could possible say No, I'm not going to rehab? I bet you she wouldn't have.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

And as far as talking to her about it, yes I've tried. She just says I'm always deflecting. "Stop deflecting, let's just talk about your alcohol problem."

My wife is very well versed in the "how to handle the alcoholic" guidebook.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sprtslife, I know how your upset you are, but try to keep an open mind in rehab. You may be surprised by an angle you've never considered.

Twenty years ago I was forced to spend a length of time in a "behavioral health center," and I was very, very bitter, especially at my husband. I knew I was fine, that the people in my life were a-holes (and they actually were).

I thought all of the medical professionals there were a bunch of psychobabbling quacks and spent the first few days isolating and sulking--till one day a technician said one thing that totally floored me and made me take a closer look at my assumptions.

I came out of that place with my world upside down. I felt shaken, but also surprised that I might actually be dodging a bullet of some sort.

Obviously, my story isn't yours--I'm just saying:

1) Even though your attitude right now is bitter, don't necessarily think rehab will be pointless;

2) And you never know when a new consideration might blindside you for the better. Keep your eyes and mind open.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Bingo you hit the nail on the head! Would I move out if I had housing you ask?

How about this; would she have given me an ultimatum if I had those resources, and I could possible say No, I'm not going to rehab? I bet you she wouldn't have.
Aside from the drinking, it sounds like there are other issues here. Is your wife willing to go see a therapist with you? Are you willing to see a therapist with her? Do you even want to be in this relationship? Before the drinking was even brought to the table as an issue was there problems already existing that had no resolve?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

P.S.--I used to weigh 267 lbs. I'm no beauty queen, but let's just say I don't weigh that anymore.

You never know how your personal recovery might "trickle down!"

No guarantee--but you never know.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

And as far as talking to her about it, yes I've tried. She just says I'm always deflecting. "Stop deflecting, let's just talk about your alcohol problem."

My wife is very well versed in the "how to handle the alcoholic" guidebook.
I don't know. I think we all have problems. So, yeah let's talk about my problem and then let's also talk about your problem and let's try to resolve this. That's my kind of approach.
It may not be deflection. I do understand where you are coming from. Two way street here.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. You made me laugh today.

I will be open minded, I'm an open minded person, always have been. At $30,000 a month I'm not gonna waste the experience.

I'm just pissed because I feel she's using her leverage. After the first 12 years when I made double her salary my drinking was ok, at least to the point of not handing me out an ultimatum. However, since I quit my job so we could come out here to Europe and enjoy this ex pat experience, NOW this drinking is way outta hand. That actually pisses me off more than the thought of not drinking to be honest.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yeah--I really do understand how you could feel manipulated, and she was hitting below the belt.

She's just a human, too, though.

We've all been guilty of gross manipulation at some point in our lives.

Eventually this crisis will be past and you'll be able to forgive her.

But I really do hear you.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Aside from the drinking, it sounds like there are other issues here. Is your wife willing to go see a therapist with you? Are you willing to see a therapist with her? Do you even want to be in this relationship? Before the drinking was even brought to the table as an issue was there problems already existing that had no resolve?
Sure I'd go see a therapist with her. I love her she is great. I'm just pissed that she pulled this ultimatum ****. We have, and I can say this clearly...zero issues. If we argue 3 times a year it's a lot. Been with her 14 years and married 10 this July. She knew i wasn't a choir boy to begin with when she met me. I was drinking for years and never hid anything from anyone. I'm not a jerk when I drink. Now all of a sudden cause it's convienent for her; she pulls this ****?!

I haven't had a drink since Monday and I don't really give a ****. I almost feel like quitting just to prove to her I can, and show her that even when I'm sober, nothing has changed. Then I'll be able to get to her **** that I never complain about.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Do you think you need a rehab, honestly?
What if her ultimatum is more like " Buddy, this needs to change and I am uncomfortable!" It sounds like, so far, you have made the change asked of you? Is she willing to make changes as well?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

boy, what a blessing to have an ultimatum!
me? it was "get the **** out!"
no other choice.

rehab will be great for you and you will probably learn the exact root for the resentments and the solutions.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Do you think you need a rehab, honestly?
What if her ultimatum is more like " Buddy, this needs to change and I am uncomfortable!" It sounds like, so far, you have made the change asked of you? Is she willing to make changes as well?
Either way it's stop drinking. Doesn't matter how it's presented to me. Listen I'll quit, no problem. But her farts better smell like roses once I'm sober, or I'll complain.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Either way it's stop drinking. Doesn't matter how it's presented to me. Listen I'll quit, no problem. But her farts better smell like roses once I'm sober, or I'll complain.
Is it true that you have to quit because you want to quit otherwise the resentments are monumental. I hope you can find peace in this and move forward being sober.

This forum and my family have helped me to find happiness again. Life is good without alcohol. Of course, I was a bottle a day drinker and feeling like **** day in and day out. Alcohol gave me an ultimatum. Live a healthy life or live a sick life. I chose to get healthy.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Some alcoholics become willing to quit once the obstacles to sobriety are removed - health, careers, family and hearth. A few are fortunate enough to wake up before that time.

I appreciate your thread as it reminds me of the insanity drinking produced in by life for over 35 years.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sprtslife,

Sounds like you're in quite a pickle! Your wife is unhappy due to your drinking, yet you don't see any problems. I am the wife, who is wishing that my husband would stop drinking. I am also a recovering alcoholic. My husband and I used to drink together daily. We both decided to quit 69 days ago. Unfortunately, he wasn't ready and he's still drinking, hiding his booze, thinking that I'm oblivious to it.

No one can force you to choose sobriety and no amount of detox, counseling, meetings...will be a benefit to you if you're not done picking up that drink. I would advise you to at least do some research about this disease so that you will be informed of the health risks, progression and the way alcohol steels our lives. Choosing recovery doesn't mean that the "fun" is over...in fact, life begins once we commit to a new way of living.

It's too bad that you can't see this as a step towards improving your marriage and ultimately your life! As so many here have already said, you'll have a rough road ahead if you're not interested in making changes. Do yourself a favor and stay open minded, read the posts here, do your own research. It might just save your life!

Good luck to you!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Every body has their breaking point. Whatever any body else does it not relevant to what you do to yourself - and others. 'Eating a pound of sugar?' That has little to do with drinking. High functioning- I used to sat that- what to me meant was I got away with getting pissed. The only crime was getting caught. I got caught and lost everything- so well done on the rehab. You have to be doing this for yourself- not because you have to. Support and empathy to you. Keep posting.