Notices

Don't throw away your money Weekender 5-7 May

Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in Sao! Thanks for the intro. Great reminder. I am definitely saving a lot of money by not drinking but also I am saving in health cost later on in life. I often think about that too.

Congrats STDragon on 21 years! That is amazing. I hope you do something special.

I have 4 weeks to go until my year anniversary. I am getting excited not that really anything is going to change once I hit it. lol.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Count me in - Awesome intro Sao
Old 05-04-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Had physiotherapy today for the wrist i injured doing weights back in January he said it's a TFCC and is a common injury among weightlifters i mentioned i rested it for 4 months and had been wearing a good quality wrist support for the last 2

Some use a splint & i think that might of helped in the beginning but my GP didn't mention it so I just rested it

But I've been doing weights again lately & taking it nice & easy which he endorsed he does weightlifting too & said it happened to him

Going out for a nice long run i had such a great sleep last night i feel fully charged

Spk soon gang & be well
Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in Sao! I think I will do a spreadsheet of the $ spent last year in booze and give it to my husband. He is still at it, hiding the bottles, drinking after I go to bed...thinking I'm oblivious to what he's doing. Very sad...but maybe a good reality check on the financial side might be an eye opener for him.

Anyway...hope everyone has a fabulously sober weekend...I plan to!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

New shiny thread.

Mesa is here again! Gilmer gets shotgun! Happy 21 STD, I'll have one of those cookies, please.

It's really expensive to drink in my state, but I was in big trouble in my twenties when I lived in Nevada where a young cute girl never pays for a drink. I pretty much stayed wasted for three years for free. Glad I got out alive, to be honest.

I'm just happy every single day to wake up sober. I give thanks for that as soon as I open my eyes, and before my feet hit the floor. Everything in my life is better. Absolutely everything.

Onward!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning, Bim (it's still morning, doggone it!).
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I finally achieved a bit of sobriety I had also managed to move on from the spouse. But in the wake of that I also discovered a very large mountain of (mostly his) debt. Easy to ignore when you are less than coherent....but in the light of the sober day....
Community property tagged me as the mostly likely to pay it off, so with baby steps I eventually cleaned it all up.
Grateful today to have good credit and a couple of coins in my pocket!

In!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Saou. I sort of forgot that it was new thread day.... just looked at least weeks and thought it was a bit quiet 😁
I am in.
AV still chunnering away at me....
I still feel jealous of when Mr P has a drink... which to be fair is much less often than it used to be. Not a nice feeling though 😐
I keep getting in the 'I can't drink' state of mind rather than 'I don't drink' which I know is a much better way to think.... any suggestions please?
Hugs xx
Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Not even 9AM yet, Gilmer.

Hi, Olive.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Hi, Olive.

Warm enough for you, Bim?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post

Warm enough for you, Bim?
76°!! It's gonna be 76°???!!!

Yes, just right. No warmer. Just right there. The tide has been going waaaay out, too. It's my favorite time of year.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It is about 10 too warm for my liking.
I soooooo need a beach day!!
Soon, I hope!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

We have a very expensive addiction. Our single minded focus on getting our fix allows us to only look at what we're spending each day and ignore the long term accrued cost.. and when we look at it, it's shameful.

It was never enough to make me quit because money doesn't motivate me. Money is simply a source of stress for me. Ideally, I make enough that I can get all bills and expenses met, and I get to set the rest of it aside for a rainy day. Emergencies or, God willing, retirement. I want to never have to worry about money, and that does not mean spending freely, it just means having it there.

That being said, I think one of the worst feelings in the world is knowing your money's gone because you drank it all.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey All ,
Think drink kept me poor for a long long time ..

In sobriety i went a bit spendy-pants at first but now i've tried to get sober with respect to my finances .
I save around 50% of my gross and early retirement could be an option in about 12 years or so depending on the markets.
All those years of scrimping for drink money means i'm habitually frugal, you don't miss what you've never had .

hope the newbies have planned for that Friday feeling ..
stock up on dvd's , Utube for films , jam butties , candy , crisps / chips and fizzy drinks, sobriety and life is what you make of it, simple pleasures are great

m
Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Mecx

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
jam butties ,

m
You will get bim started

petals I tell people that I don't drink. It doesn't make much difference because most people couldn't care less if I drink or not but fake it 'till you make it...

I probably spent even more money as a youngster than the amount in my OP but drank less. What a waste.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Petals -
Try flipping your thinking around by thinking of all the good things you can enjoy sober now - or just things you can do now that you couldn't before - just simple things like waking up early in the morning to enjoy the quiet before everyone else starts moving around - driving to a park or just to do errands or run out for ice cream in the evening without worrying about a DUI - having time and energy to do a bit of volunteering maybe - or pursue a simple hobby that you've always wanted to try. When I think that way, I realize how much freedom I have found in sobriety - and it keeps me from being in the "I can't" mindset and puts me in a "why in the world would I want to" mindset.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

*sigh*

I can't even.

"jam butties."
Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Bwahaha!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 AM