Notices

Sugar Freak

Old 05-03-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar Freak

Coming up on 2 months sober since a slip. Can't get away from sugar. It's all I want!! We're talkin' a pint of ice cream, half a pie, huge candy bars, 4 fruit bars instead of one. ACK! Anyone else? How to cut back? Cravings are constant.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe sugar begets more sugar. For me, I can't have more than a couple teaspoons a day of added sugars, if I buy ice cream I'm going to eat the whole pint in one sitting. Some people can moderate sugar, some really struggle. My off switch doesn't work with sugary treats (or some other carby things like French bread) very often. If it's in front of me, I'm likely to eat the whole thing.

With that said, I ate a lot of sugary stuff in early sobriety. The first six months were tough as far as craving alcohol and I would often eat sugary treats instead. I've heard/read both good and bad about this coping method but I figured it was better than drinking and it distracted me. I didn't put on much weight though, I was exercising regularly and tracking my food intake.

It eventually tapered off naturally. You're aware of it, that's the first step.

Congrats on your two months' sober time!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sisu1 View Post
Coming up on 2 months sober since a slip. Can't get away from sugar. It's all I want!! We're talkin' a pint of ice cream, half a pie, huge candy bars, 4 fruit bars instead of one. ACK! Anyone else? How to cut back? Cravings are constant.
When I went through treatment I sure saw a lot of this. Most of us put on some pounds in those 28 days. We had (almost) all the ice cream we could eat, candy bars, cake, deserts etc.. At that time the rehab doctor told us not to worry much regarding our sugar intake. But, for a healthy sober life we do need to get our sugar intake in check before it gets the best of us -- diabetes etc..

9 years sober and I still have a sweet tooth but, not as before and exercise is of most importance.

M-Bob
Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like I'll always be an addict, whether it be booze, nicotine, or sugar. I've definitely been eating more sugar since I quit drinking (and I still smoke), but taking it one day at a time. I'll eventually start working on the sugar and cigarettes, but hey, if it keeps me from drinking today (on day 13), better than being drunk. My two cents.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you could gradually cut down on the amount of sugar in a meal, or in a day. On top of that, if you don't exercise at all, this could be a great time to start. You will benefit from the endorphins you produce.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 436 days in and I need to get a grip on my serious sugar habit. It's not a replacement for the sugar in alcohol anymore- it's part of my otherwise healthy diet, to an unhealthy extent. I have cut myself a lot of slack and now that I am exercising (and work at a very active job in a restaurant with four flights of stairs) getting my diet improved is important. Going to sugar has become a hard habit for me to break.

We can though- if we can stop drinking, we can cut down on the sugar!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try replacing the sugary things with green and herbal teas, flavored waters (la croix , etc.), sugar-free gum. Have you heard of lily's chocolates - it's chocolate sweetened with stevia.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the input! Feeling better knowing I'm not alone. Soooo....... I got a bike Will keep trying to cut down. Have a great day!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Sisu. My opinion? Sugar is as much an addiction as alcohol or drugs. Agree with Anna that gradual replacement of sugary products with fruit or something healthy might be a way to go.
Exercise is great! I have a fitbit, and it really does get me moving.
Good luck.