Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do you dream that you slip up and then feel relief when you wake?

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For as long as I can remember - when I have something in my life that I'm working on to better myself I always dream of slip ups. Last night I dreamed I took a couple sips of wine accidentally and when I realized what I had done I felt absolutely awful. It's usually a sign of determination for me and I'm wondering if this happens to you all.

So far so good, guys. I'm on day #9 and I feel like I'd like to go through a small list of positive changes that I've noticed already.

1) I've got more hours to my weekend. In reality, it's the same amount of hours I've always had, but I didn't live half of them in the haze of booze.

2) My skin seems clearer. I'm 32 and still get breakouts. Right now, I don't have any. I noticed this morning as I put my moisturizer on that my skin felt smoother and it was less red in the cheeks. My under eyes do not seem as dark and my face just feels fuller.. not droopy.

3) I have already saved money. I'd normally spend about $40 - $50 on my at-home booze (not including restaurants). Cha-ching!

4) This is a big one. NO GUILT. I had no worrying thoughts come to me on Sunday morning about what I might have said or done.

5) No hangovers!! Just thinking about how those hangovers feel turns my stomach. Why do we do those things to ourselves when we feel so awful in the end?

6) My BF has felt inspired and once he gets through the beer we have in the fridge (he drinks responsibly and has one or two during the weekend) he won't be buying anymore to keep at home.

7) I'm realizing that I'm the same sassy self I am even without drinking. A fear of mine was if I'd be the same person without booze. Turns out.. I'm an even better version of myself.

This is the real deal guys. I feel it. I never want to touch that nasty stuff again. I still have a long road ahead of me, I know this, but the determination is there. Life is better this way.

I hope you're all doing well. Let's get this sh*t done!
Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Love your positivity.

Side-story: I once had a dream that I had been drinking again and for some reason I was telling my mother. In the dream we were seated across from each other and she started kicking the bottom of my chair with her pointy shoe. It was really hurting. I woke up and the dog had crawled into the bed and was pushing my backside with her paws trying to carve out some more room between the wife and I.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great going so far and good observations! I have found the changes for the better just get better

And yes, over 435 days I have had a few "drinking dreams" - a couple were incredibly vivid and I was overwhelmed with relief when I woke up to find they were just dreams! And one in particular was a type you allude to- where disjointed pieces of my real life were all together in the dream- and that was very startling.

Keep going!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, last week I had the most vivid dream that I was drinking. And when I woke up I had a phantom hangover to go with all the phantom drinking! I think drinking dreams are quite common when you quit. They can be a bit disconcerting but the good thing about them is the amazing relief when you realise it was only a dream. Well done on 9 days. You sound really positive and strong
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a few drinking dreams since getting sober (~13 months). Maybe once every couple of months. Usually they aren't about drinking, but involve trying to complete a task and being unable to do so, or trying to answer a question from someone and slurring my way through it because I'm drunk. And it usually involves me trying to conceal my drunkenness and failing. It's mildly upsetting at first, but then immediately I'm relieved and almost satisfied when I wake up and come to my senses and realize that it was just a dream.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes lets!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I used to get those dreams. I take them as a good sign.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, very common to have those kinds of dreams - both early on and down the road. They are somewhat unnerving but of course just dreams - I like to think that it's our brain "stretching it's legs" after years of constant sedation.

Sounds like you are doing lots of good things, keep it up!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2/2016

I have had 2 and I am just over a year sober. I was so disappointed with myself in the dreams. I told myself in the dreams, ok well just start again. I was so very relieved to wake up and realize I did not drink!

Funny, I never dreamt of drinking when I was actively drinking.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whoo, I'm with you! Great energy.
I'm only on day 16 but have similar dreamd almost nightly. I don't always drink anything but alcohol (usually wine) is the focus at some point.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Two so far, and always a sense of relief upon waking up. Great work on the list too, BTW Lists are good.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. Last night I dreamed I was going to drink wine. I woke up with an awful feeling. Thankfully, it was only a dream.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I've had those dreams. For me, their frequency reduced over time.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yup, I had that exact dream about 10 days ago. I was so relieved when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!

Oddly enough, it was the first dream I can remember having in months. (109 days sober here).
Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I used to get those dreams. I take them as a good sign.
and a very good sign when I wake up and know where I am.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had a dream I was drinking a glass of wine too. I was sad in my dream I would have to start over, that I'd had a relapse. What a relief when I woke up this morning! Day 27!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, I have them quite often! It makes sense as that kind of worry during the day translates into worries in your sleep. I still have dreams about having to return to high school as well and it's been thirty years since I left! It's all just your mind mulling over stuff.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yep= takes reboot sometimes. sucks
Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dreamed I was drinking and was dreading having to login here and admit it. What a relieve when I woke!