Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainypnw View Post
I'm back on day 1 today. I had 4 month sober and then walked away from my sober supports. Now, I'm doing the 3 or 4 day cycle of sobriety followed by a few days of drinking. I'm tired of feeling so mentally and physically unhealthy.

I know that SR is the best tool I can use. I'll be checking in on this thread daily this month for accountability. I'm determined to stick with it this time! Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Welcome Rainypnw! 4 months is a great accomplishment and you are aware of what went wrong so stay close and we'll all work through this together.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Running short on time this morning so I'll have to check in later. Starting Day 5 with another sinus headache - my allergies have been horrible - and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into another sinus infection.

Work shouldn't be too bad today. One of my co-workers is moving to a new team so we're all bringing in snacks for the day. Then it's lunch with my dear friend and co-worker at her favorite Mexican restaurant.

I hope everyone stays strong today and please, think about a recovery plan. Making myself focus on some aspect of my plan each day has proven to be very helpful this time around.

After reading a post (Sunflower I think) I'm adding a new trigger to my ABCs, isolation. No, Sunflower, you're not the only one who drinks when they think they can isolated themselves. In fact, yesterday, a brief thought of going out to the store, knowing I'd be alone all evening was interrupted when my grandson and his friend stopped by. Coincidence? I think not!

Gotta scoot. I hope everyone has a safe, sober day today!!!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Running short on time this morning so I'll have to check in later. Starting Day 5 with another sinus headache - my allergies have been horrible - and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into another sinus infection.

Work shouldn't be too bad today. One of my co-workers is moving to a new team so we're all bringing in snacks for the day. Then it's lunch with my dear friend and co-worker at her favorite Mexican restaurant.

I hope everyone stays strong today and please, think about a recovery plan. Making myself focus on some aspect of my plan each day has proven to be very helpful this time around.

After reading a post (Sunflower I think) I'm adding a new trigger to my ABCs, isolation. No, Sunflower, you're not the only one who drinks when they think they can isolated themselves. In fact, yesterday, a brief thought of going out to the store, knowing I'd be alone all evening was interrupted when my grandson and his friend stopped by. Coincidence? I think not!

Gotta scoot. I hope everyone has a safe, sober day today!!!

That stinks about the headache! Do you take anything for your allergies? I guess it's the time of year for a lot of us! Hope it doesn't get worse for you.

Thanks for relating to the isolation thing- I think my drinking was at an all time worse when I was a stay at home Mom- I didn't have to be anywhere, didn't have family nearby or close friends- just me and a house and lots of booze. That's one reason I need to work and can't wait to find a job again!

Enjoy your lunch- chips and salsa sounds like a great way to end the day

As for my recovery plan, I am doing the hypnosis nightly, listening to recovery podcasts when time allows, and checking here and in the 24 thread DAILY- no excuses!

Hugs friend, have a great one!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning on day 5. I'm in kind of a brain fog from not sleeping well the last 4 nights but feel good about continuing to move forward. I know from past experience the first week tends to suck for me but after the first week things will start to get noticeably better...but with good days and not so good days. It'll take time to heal. I'm really looking forward to being able to just rest this weekend, but will shoot to hit at least one recovery meeting this weekend.

Thursdays are my work from home days, so its kind of good to be able to take things a little easy today without office stress, but can also not be good because it can feel a little isolating and can be a trigger sometimes. Fortunately I got scheduled for a 12:30 conference call which I'll have to participate in, so the temptation to check out from work isn't there this morning. Hopefully I can go offline around 4 and then just rest the rest of the afternoon and early evening and try to turn in early.

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Does anyone here have a recovery plan? Maybe we can share about what methods we're using to work this program? If you haven't started one, just try the ABC method for one of your triggers and perhaps share it here.

Let's do everything we can to pass this class!

Good idea
I don't have one formally written down but essentially its 1) be aware of HALT patterns and put my sobriety first if I find myself experiencing them or feel like I will be experiencing them shortly (eg eat an afternoon snack an hour or so before I leave work to help cut evening hunger before dinner).
2) visit and post on sr.com daily or more often
3) hit 1-2 recovery meetings/week (many people will recommend going more often, like daily. I think this works well for many people but I have bad social anxiety so I kind of need to balance this with other social support outlets)
4) see my therapist once/week
5) reach out to friends/others in recovery and try to plan something with someone at least once/week outside of recovery meetings
6) use mindfulness meditation to be aware of stress build up and HALT triggers before they become an issue. This was very helpful to me when I got to a month in january
7) despite having stressful 'wreckage' and cleanup of sorts to deal with in my life because of my using, remember that the most important thing I need to do each day is stay sober, and that I can't fix everything in a day but it'll mostly all get fixed over time if I just don't backslide
...and prolly other stuff I can't remember at the moment

Originally Posted by Croutie View Post
Hope everyone has a good, sober day. Very nice to meet you all.
Going for my yearly physical today, which always makes me anxious....
Croutie
Hope the physical goes well Croutie!

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Am I the only one who slips when I know I can isolate?
I think many of us can relate. Personally, I live alone and have kind of built my life around being able to isolate. Pulling out of that life pattern is one of my biggest challenges in sobriety. But, thats a big reason why I'm posting here

I hope your day goes well everyone.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
KitKat7575 - You sound similar to me except I had a sober 2014 and have been 'out' since 2015. I think now would be a great time for both of us to get back to those better times.
Hi StartingOverNW,
Hope you're doing well today
We've been on rather a long session huh...time to stop now before my final remaining braincells implode and my liver sticks it's fingers up at me!
We can do it. We WILL do it. All of us

I was buzzing yesterday, on a real, natural high (the pink cloud?!?!) but I'm absolutely shattered today (day 13). Woke up with such a headache that won't go away. Boooo! Wanted to do some exercise but so far I've made it from my bed to the lounge (working from home today)...to the kitchen...and back to the lounge. And here is where I intend to stay today!!
Tell you what, I could just eat for England, curl up and go to sleep! And that is what I will do later

Wishing you all a sober and happy Thursday.
Sending you all love and strength...power through this, WE CAN DO IT xxx
Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 2 today. I'm working on getting a recovery plan together (something I've never done before). There are such good resources on SR if I will just use them. We're finally having some nice weather here. I plan on getting outside this afternoon and getting some vitamin D.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I'm on day 1 today, I actually attempted to start on Monday but had a disastrous night last night and so hungover 😖 So starting again today. Feeling positive 😀
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Nyah30, we have all been where you are today. Look at it as a fresh start.
Just think how great tomorrow morning will be when you wake up without a hangover!
Your attitude is really positive and I think that is very important.
Best of luck to you.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Back from the Doctor's office. Physical went ok I guess...won't really know until they call about blood work results in about a week.
It's a rainy day in Georgia, and I'm enjoying the rain, breeze and the nice cool weather; my sweet doggies at my feet... what could be better?
Everyone have a safe and sober evening; stay strong friends.
We can make this happen.
Croutie
Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thankyou I'm so glad I found this group. Really need to do this 😀👍🏼
Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

4 yrs on and so much death

Hi again all

Been a very long time since I visited SR..but so much has happened. Lost my husband to suicide from alcohol addiction and then my new partner to suicide from meth addiction 12 months ago. Without saying too much more Im happy to be back and looking forward to ditching the crutches Ive been using to cope. Im ready.

Maz
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mazza View Post
Hi again all

Been a very long time since I visited SR..but so much has happened. Lost my husband to suicide from alcohol addiction and then my new partner to suicide from meth addiction 12 months ago. Without saying too much more Im happy to be back and looking forward to ditching the crutches Ive been using to cope. Im ready.

Maz
I am so sorry for the losses you have experienced. I know how devastating it is; I lost my Son to cancer and don't thank I'll ever be the same again. 😢
Having said that, I do believe our very dearly departed would want the best for us, which means being as healthy as possible.
Together we can all achieve our goals.
My sincere wishes for your happiness and success.
Croutie
Old 05-04-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your losses Mazza - but I'm glad you're back with us.

Welcome back to you too Nyah

D
Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

I think we have enough folks now for me to post what I think are very useful links.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

If you haven't got a recovery plan - an idea on how you'll stay sober, I really encourage you to think about that.

This thread is a great link for dealing with cravings and getting through them

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 05-04-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Dee. You're the best!
I will be reading all of it!
Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

How was everyone's day? I survived day 2. Feeling much better than I was yesterday and for this I am grateful. Good night everyone...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

How was everyone's day? I survived day 2. Feeling much better than I was yesterday and for this I am grateful. Good night everyone...
So glad today was better for you. You are going to do great.
Hope you get a good nights rest.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Me too Sunflowerlife! While I was driving home, the same old thoughts came to hunt me, but I told myself that things are only as stressful as you allow them to be. I will keep that as a chant for now. Trying to take it easy on me, took a warm bath, got some pasta ( a bit of comfort food), and fizzy water. I'll take my 1/2 ambien now and watch genius. I did survive two friend's invitations for a drink- May 4th and 5 de Maio.
I need to be sober for a few days before I can start naltrexone, but hopefully naltrexone will help me cut the ambien as well. My Doc's first virtual meeting is this Saturday. He uses an app with a Bluetooth breathalyzer device to monitor sobriety. Physically and mentally, I'm feeling great today which motivates me to day 3. I read other people had the same feeling at day 2. My biggest problem is when I'm by myself like many others, but want to keep my mind busy with my Master's final project just trying to change the way I was approaching it- a stressful thing on my "to-do" list, but an enjoyable project. Not taking personally certain people reactions. Trying to re-wire my brain.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi everyone~

I'm sorry for your losses mazza. And your loss too Croutie.

Hi Caramel

Day 1
Just finished day 1 a few minutes ago. I saw a couple of people mention Naltrexone. I took Naltrexone probably a year or so ago and I just started taking it again. I remember the first time it helped with cravings a lot but after a while it seemed to stop working. I am hoping this time it will help get me through at least the first few weeks.

I also attend SMART meetings, although I haven't been in a few weeks. To be honest, I know some of the plan but not a lot. I go mostly just to be around other people in similar situations. Sometimes though, I want to drink afterwards, because that is what I have always done after any "social" situation, so I need to figure out some way to stop that. Thanks for sharing the SMART toolchest & homework link Optimist4ever57, I will check it out.

I hope everyone has a Happy Friday
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi, emme

Was feeling vaguely insulted after a less-than-optimal "customer experience" in a shop; however after coming home and muttering aloud to myself about it and calling the store-assistant various names, I've simmered down.
A good cup of tea and some time on SR puts things in perspective

Take care, everybody