Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 05-03-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthme View Post
I want to join this class. It's getting out of control for me. I decided to look for help, I don't want to drink anymore. I'm going to try naltrexone, and support here and at the AA meeting.
Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a nice mix of support and knowing you don't want to drink anymore is the first step! Have a great night!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm back on day 1 today. I had 4 month sober and then walked away from my sober supports. Now, I'm doing the 3 or 4 day cycle of sobriety followed by a few days of drinking. I'm tired of feeling so mentally and physically unhealthy.

I know that SR is the best tool I can use. I'll be checking in on this thread daily this month for accountability. I'm determined to stick with it this time! Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi all. Off booze since Sunday, 1st May. I'm probably more serious than ever this time but I still have little confidence in myself and I'm unsure what I actually want out of life but the booze and drugs just seem to have me in a dead end and I'm not getting any younger. So it's a day at a time. No sleep the first two nights but I got a couple of hours last night and feel it will be better tonight. Already feeling better and managed plenty of exercise today. Good luck to you all.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm feeling much better today. I am not feeling so much like my life is a disaster, pieces of it are but I know it could be worse. I had an amazing day at work, I've got my baby girl sleeping beside me, and absolutely no desire to drink. Why would I ever drink and miss out on time with my sweet baby so stupid!

The feelings of guilt and shame are a bit overwhelming but I'm only on day 2 so that's to be expected. I have no one to talk to about this so this is my only outlet. I really need to build a support system that I can trust
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Croutie, dubstar, healthme and rainypnw

my advice is to make different choices today - thats the basis of all change
we can do this!

D
Old 05-03-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odisnow View Post
I'm feeling much better today. I am not feeling so much like my life is a disaster, pieces of it are but I know it could be worse. I had an amazing day at work, I've got my baby girl sleeping beside me, and absolutely no desire to drink. Why would I ever drink and miss out on time with my sweet baby so stupid!

The feelings of guilt and shame are a bit overwhelming but I'm only on day 2 so that's to be expected. I have no one to talk to about this so this is my only outlet. I really need to build a support system that I can trust
Sounds like you've got some things to be grateful for- glad you are feeling better today. I know it's hard when you don't have support out in the real world. We are so lucky to at least have SR - my friends in my first group (Jan 2016) helped me so many times when I was tempted to drink. They talked me out of it and I can only hope I can help someone in the same way some way.

Hope you get some good rest tonight...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

A crash

Hello,

Sorry to gatecrash this room.

It was one I had hoped I would never return to!!

In September I managed to get sober and managed 6 months alcohol free and I was feeling amazing. The last few weeks i have relapsed. It started with an all inclusive holiday with my girlfriend who quite rightly dumped me last year, and she was a major factor in me pulling myself together.

I lost her and my heart was broken and whilst it took time I gradually healed.

I love her to bits and when in December last year we got back together I felt life was complete. I had stopped drinking and was not only physically better looking after shedding so much weight but more importantly so much mentally sharper.

I am sprouting rubbish but I am back here as I have relapsed over the last 4 weeks.

New (slim me) clothes are feeling tighter and more importantly I lost my resolve. Sadly I have started drinking again - fortunately nothing like my previous levels but I know I need the help of this group.

Last September I gained such a huge mental strength not just by posting (I was not the most prolific) but by reading and feeling others pain and success.

So here I am again - I should never have stopped posting and more importantly reading.

I will try and regularly post and more importantly read and try to help others in a far worse place than me.

Day 1 for me.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 1 here as well. I almost found an excuse not to go to the support meeting tonight because of the shame of accepting my weakness in public. Day 1 is not difficult for me. Day 3 is when I succumb to the evil craving. I started drinking when I was young because I have a very hard time falling asleep. Grandpa and dad were alcoholics. Mom wasn't quite the loving mom. I want to learn to enjoy life in sobriety. I know I can. I don't have family support, just my 2 children as a drive to succeed. I'm going to keep looking for support in the meeting, here, and from a doc. I told my boyfriend I don't want to drink because I have binge drinking but didn't quite told him I'm an alcoholic. I don't think he realizes the extension of the problem because I can spend a couple days without having one single glass and most people think that in order to be an alcoholic you necessarily drink every day. I also sometimes only have a couple beers when we go out to dinner. I've got good at hiding-sending him to his house so I can go down on the whole bottle. But once I caught myself waking up in the morning picking up what was left in the bottle, that's enough. Time to face the reality I'm creating to me and my children. Saturday I was invited to a dinner where wine will be served. I can do it. I've done before and will need to cope with such situations anyway. Thank you all!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'll join this May Class too.
Hello to friends old and new
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

End of a taxing day 4, but going to bed sober. Night all
Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sober Rooster, Caramel and healthme

D
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Sunflowerlife, thank you for the words of encouragement.
Wishing you success on your soberity journey...
Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has a good, sober day. Very nice to meet you all.
Going for my yearly physical today, which always makes me anxious....
Croutie
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 2- 5:41 am

It's early morning and I am at the gym after taking three days off. Feels so good to be here instead of hungover in bed, wishing the day away.

I've got music class with my toddler this morning and then a play date with one of my best friends and her son. It seems that keeping busy is what is going to save me as I don't have a reason or way to get drunk when I have plans. Tomorrow through Tuesday are also filled with social gatherings and re-packing for our final move to the new home.

Am I the only one who slips when I know I can isolate? I knew when I stopped working that this would be a trigger for me but I honestly did not expect to relapse.

Oh well what's done is done.
Only looking up from here. Started my hypnosis again and am committed to listening for the next month straight. (Andrew Johnson, "Stop Drinking" found in the App Store.)

Wishing you all a fantastic day! Check in if you need us to talk you down from the ledge.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 1 here as well. I almost found an excuse not to go to the support meeting tonight because of the shame of accepting my weakness in public. Day 1 is not difficult for me. Day 3 is when I succumb to the evil craving. I started drinking when I was young because I have a very hard time falling asleep. Grandpa and dad were alcoholics. Mom wasn't quite the loving mom. I want to learn to enjoy life in sobriety. I know I can. I don't have family support, just my 2 children as a drive to succeed. I'm going to keep looking for support in the meeting, here, and from a doc. I told my boyfriend I don't want to drink because I have binge drinking but didn't quite told him I'm an alcoholic. I don't think he realizes the extension of the problem because I can spend a couple days without having one single glass and most people think that in order to be an alcoholic you necessarily drink every day. I also sometimes only have a couple beers when we go out to dinner. I've got good at hiding-sending him to his house so I can go down on the whole bottle. But once I caught myself waking up in the morning picking up what was left in the bottle, that's enough. Time to face the reality I'm creating to me and my children. Saturday I was invited to a dinner where wine will be served. I can do it. I've done before and will need to cope with such situations anyway. Thank you all!
Hi Healthme- I can relate in that I also have 2 children and I know in my heart I also have to do this for them.

What is your plan to get through this engagement where there will be wine? i personally feel that in early sobriety it's okay to avoid situations that may make you slip. If you don't feel strong enough to go and stay sober, can you get out of going? Or do you have a strategy?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

IMG_1455.JPG
Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croutie View Post
I would like to join you all. I have been around here quite a while actually, I was originally "RINGTHEDOORBELL".....but though that was too long so now I'm "CROUTIE."
I keep falling right back into the trap of thinking I can have one glass of wine and stop....
Ah, NO, actually that's not what happens! So, I just need to stop and never start again. So, I think accountability is in order, and I'm starting here.
Best wishes,
Croutie
Welcome Croutie!

Isn't it interesting how we get burned on the stove and learn our lesson right away, but with drinking, we keep believing things will be different?

Glad you're here!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Cue the remorse tape.....

This recovery is going in fits and starts. Yesterday was a fit. Even though I met with a new counselor and went to a meeting I still drank. I'm a dope. I'm sure the wife is mad. I have a busy day and I feel like crap. I deserve it.

I have a really hard time stopping the first drink. I have these headaches around happy hour. Not sure what to do.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Welcome Croutie!

Isn't it interesting how we get burned on the stove and learn our lesson right away, but with drinking, we keep believing things will be different?

Glad you're here!
The jay walker in the blue book.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I want to join this class. It's getting out of control for me. I decided to look for help, I don't want to drink anymore. I'm going to try naltrexone, and support here and at the AA meeting.
Welcome, Healthme! So glad you're here and working on your recovery. Stay close :-)