Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
Another new joiner for the May group - it's been a while, but Day 1 again..
Welcome, DeepBlue!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Starting day 1 ..again...for me. This is the 4th class that I have joined this year and I want it to be my last.
I cannot keep up this sick cycle. I have a friend getting sober as week, so hoping we can work together.
I look forward to connecting with all of you,
Thanks
Lovehoops, I lost count of how many day 1s I've gone through, and it's probably a good thing.

So glad you are working with a friend, but when your mind clears a bit, consider a recovery plan. Dee posted some links ( and I recently reposted) that have been incredibly helpful for me.

Glad you're here!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Good morning sober friends,

It's going to be a lovely Sunday- I am so glad I got my butt out of bed when my eyes popped open at 5. I always feel much better if I have a little "me time" before the boys wake up (they are 2 and 5 and full of energy.)

What are your plans for the day?
We will be taking them out to play at the park and then I am going to the gym for an upper body workout during their nap. Then some cleaning is in order and some packing so that my car is ready tomorrow, when we finally get the keys to the new house!

We just moved from Florida a month ago and have been staying with my parents- we settle on our new house tomorrow and I am beyond excited. For years I ran away from this place, my hometown and my family. Now, at 40 years old all I want is to be surrounded by the people who love me. My best friend is here as well which is an added bonus. I am so blessed to finally be planting roots for our boys- my husband and I have moved 6 times in the last 7 years! We vow to never, ever move again!

Anyway, I am wishing you all a beautiful day. I am lucky the cravings are gone and I have no desire to drink. For me it's around the 3 month mark that I start to move backwards in my thinking and I can't let that happen again this time around. Time to admit that I can never, ever drink again!
I am so happy for you and your family, Sunflower! I hope the move goes well. It will be so nice to be around your friends and family, finally.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
You're welcome!

I just love Jack Russells! You must be doing something right to have them for 18 years.! And the rescued brothers...how lucky they are to be together. Good for you!

I have three dogs: a Siberian Husky, Sasha who is 5, a part Gordon Setter part black lab, Ramona who is 5 and a King Charles Spaniel, Bonnie who is about 7 or 8.

The setter and the spaniel were my daughter's. I don't know what her issue is, but she's probably had at least 12 dogs in the past 20 years and will keep them for a few months to a year and then get rid of them. My grandson first came to me about Ramona about 2 years ago and asked if I could please take her, or else my daughter was taking her to the pound. A few months later, I was told the same story about Bonnie.

Ramona is a 70 pound puppy! Very active but not destructive at all.
Bonnie likes to sit in the sun and sleep.
Sasha is super independent and is the Alpha female (well, except for me, LOL) I got her to be my watch dog but she's horrible at it! Loves everyone that comes to the house. Ramona has a fierce bark and scares people (love that for the door to door peeps) but wouldn't hurt a fly.

That's it. Oh, and I have a cat, Crash, also from my daughter.
Full house!
Optimist you are a Saint for taking in your daughter's pets. How lucky for them to end up with you!
I too love Jack Russells ( obviously!). My girls are the small ones with short legs. They have slowed down quite a bit and are now totally deaf, but it was a gradual hearing loss, and the Vet says they probably don't even notice it much...
My boys are the watch dogs, if you call barking a bit at the door and then hopping back on the sofa! Wouldn't hurt a fly, but door to door people don't know that!
You are doing great with your soberity; keep it up. You are inspiring many in this class with your caring comments.
Happy Sunday.

Last edited by Croutie; 05-07-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Every time I try to write here I seem to be in a different mood. I was going to write that the obsession has let me go a bit - big focus on recovery in last 24 hrs. The moment I thought I was free: massive anxiety came. I genuinely believe that what I'm feeling right now will go on forever. Then I panic and fix it with a drink. Not true.

I am going to force myself to try and understand this recovery plan business today. Have cancelled lunch - more booze - I'm going to have no social life if I keep doing that.
Oh, Weev, I too suffer from massive anxiety when I quit. These past few times it hasn't been as bad because my breaks in sobriety were a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of mixed drinks and not for days in a row.

I wil tell you that for me, drinking makes the anxiety worse. It doesn't make sense to our AV, but that's what the AV wants us to believe. Alcohol will calm us. Lie.

Glad you opted out of lunch. Please check out the links for the recovery plans and get started. My plan didn't take shape until I put pen to paper. It was real, as was my addiction.

Keep close to SR and keep posting.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

A big WELCOME to all the newcomers to our May classs. We are so glad you are joining us!
We will encourage and support one another on this journey; strength in numbers!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Finally, a sunny day!

Sunflower asked about plans for today, and I do have a list, but, none of it is a "must" except for exercise. I must exercise. The only question is, which pup will walk with me?

Did I mention how excited I am about the sun???? I have about an acre so there is alway something to be raked, pruned, weeded or planted and today seems like a good day for that.

Spending time on my recovery plan and here is a must as well. I'm making good progress reading This Naked Mind. It's available for download (I'm pretty sure it's on this site somewhere) if anyone is interested. It really appeals to my "how does this work" mindset.

Hope everyone has a safe, sober, Sunday!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Day 2 for me today. I had trouble sleeping last night but I feel ok. I ate a lot of chicken wings last night, I really need to change my diet. Today is a great day to be alive and to get outside. I'll check back in later today.

It is wonderful to read everyone's struggles and victories. Have a great day!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Thanks Optimist for reminding me about that plan. Theres not much food in the house and I ate french toasts for lunch with raspberry conserve and now it's like the sofa has massive gravity and I can't break free. Lethargic and lazy. Im sure that processed wheat is a drug. I will get a shower and do the recovery work x
Old 05-07-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I'm in. Its day two for me

Hello,
I've been struggling with alcohol for many years. I've been experiencing more anxiety and depression while struggling with hangovers most days lately. I hate for my kids to see me this way. I've tried to moderate drinking by not drinking during the week. But I usually feel better by Tuesday and rationalize I can have a drink and keep it in moderation. But one drink leads to six then I usually end up going to happy hour the rest of the week and binge drinking on Friday and Saturday.

Today is the first Sunday, in a long time, I have not had a bad hangover. It feels pretty good but my body is still adjusting to the lack of alcohol. My goal is to learn to live life without alcohol. I have tried on my own many times and have been unsuccessful. I've heard that I should get some support for help. I now know I need help. So that's why I'm here.

Thanks for listening,
Dundrinkin
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 2 for me and I am feeling so much better then yesterday. I was out walking with my dog at 7.30 this morning. It was lovely and I was so grateful to be able to get out and appreciate everything around me. I have cleaned my car out, purchased a smaller dog crate for the car to keep it hair free and generally been house choring. My children will be home from there nannas in about an hour so thought it would be good to sit and chill whilst looking through SR.
Thank you to everyone for your posts-they really do help me reading them.

Sunflower I hope your move goes well. All very exciting.

Have a good day all. Big love x
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Morning dundrinkin and Amanda05.

Congrats on making it through day1. I too am on day 2. I seem to be feeling a bit more positive. Admitting my problem to my friend, and being honest with how bad it had become yesterday seems to have knocked a bit of my black clould away.

I have been living a lie for so many years.

Anyway, onward and upward. I know I need to get my life on track, or it will be a short life.

Good luck to everyone fighting the fight.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Back to day 1. I thought I could host a dinner party on day 4 (last night) and make it through without drinking. It didn't work out so well. I'm back on day 1 and determined to make it work. No dinner parties, eating out, or any other high stress situations for me for the next two weeks for me. Back to working on my recovery plan and using my tools.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dundrinkin View Post
Hello,
I've been struggling with alcohol for many years. I've been experiencing more anxiety and depression while struggling with hangovers most days lately. I hate for my kids to see me this way. I've tried to moderate drinking by not drinking during the week. But I usually feel better by Tuesday and rationalize I can have a drink and keep it in moderation. But one drink leads to six then I usually end up going to happy hour the rest of the week and binge drinking on Friday and Saturday.

Today is the first Sunday, in a long time, I have not had a bad hangover. It feels pretty good but my body is still adjusting to the lack of alcohol. My goal is to learn to live life without alcohol. I have tried on my own many times and have been unsuccessful. I've heard that I should get some support for help. I now know I need help. So that's why I'm here.

Thanks for listening,
Dundrinkin
Hi there- so glad to have you in our group! If you feel even the slightest urge to drink, please post here first and we can help you through it. My first group was last January and they helped me countless times from drinking. SR is really made up of an amazing group of people who want to see you succeed!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainypnw View Post
Back to day 1. I thought I could host a dinner party on day 4 (last night) and make it through without drinking. It didn't work out so well. I'm back on day 1 and determined to make it work. No dinner parties, eating out, or any other high stress situations for me for the next two weeks for me. Back to working on my recovery plan and using my tools.
Good for you for coming back so quickly. I'm the same way in early recovery- I cannot be tempted by dinner parties or even restaurant lunches or dinners so I avoid them completely until I feel stronger. It's good to know your limitations! You can do this, stay close to us!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amanda05 View Post
Hi all. Day 2 for me and I am feeling so much better then yesterday. I was out walking with my dog at 7.30 this morning. It was lovely and I was so grateful to be able to get out and appreciate everything around me. I have cleaned my car out, purchased a smaller dog crate for the car to keep it hair free and generally been house choring. My children will be home from there nannas in about an hour so thought it would be good to sit and chill whilst looking through SR.
Thank you to everyone for your posts-they really do help me reading them.

Sunflower I hope your move goes well. All very exciting.

Have a good day all. Big love x
Thanks Amanda

You sound good today- isn't that morning gratitude feeling just amazing? You want to just bottle it up and hold onto it forever.

Sounds like you've been getting a lot done as well and that's great! Hope you have a nice relaxing, positive evening!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

So on my way home from work I only managed to scrape together 2:50 (I purposely left my purse at home this morning) as I had the intention of buying wine😔 However as I didn't have enough money I got in and felt relieved that feeling passed. My boyfriend was actually not too bad after yesterday's awful empty bottle incident. I'm going to make some dinner, read my son a bedtime story and go to bed shortly after. Pleased Iv managed day 4.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Welcome/welcome back, lovehoops, Dundrinkin and anyone I've missed - the thread has become quite busy!
rainypnw - glad you're still with us;
Everybody - keep persevering, keep posting and reading here.
Strength in numbers
xx
Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dundrinkin

I'm glad you got in ok Nyah - do you have any kind of recovery plan or are you just sorta winging it for now?

D
Old 05-07-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

SO relate to this - thanks for sharing