Notices

New to This

Old 05-01-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to This

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and this is also my first time "quitting", so I have not idea what I'm doing and I need lots of advice.

I suffer from clinical depression, and I've been on and off of various medications since I was 13, and I'm now 38. I started drinking the doing drugs around age 13/14, and I stopped using drugs when I was 20. I did AA & NA for about a year and I hated it. I decided that I could drink and use cannabis products, and I haven't touched any other drugs since.

For years, I have drank every night starting after dinner, until I pass out on the couch or make my way to the bed. However, when my depression would lift, I would go through periods of healthy eating and exercise and only drinking on the weekends. So, it was like a cycle every couple of months.

For the past 2 years, I've been in a worse cycle, and I haven't gone more than 2 days in a row without drinking. I started to notice what I thought was a low blood sugar problem, but I started drinking earlier and earlier in the day to compensate. Finally, a week ago, I realized that I couldn't make it past noon without shaking and feeling nauseous.

I feel like such a f*ing idiot! I'm a smart educated person, and I can't believe I let myself get this far into addiction, and I'm so embarrassed that I can't even tell my husband or family. I'm too ashamed to go to AA for fear that I will see someone I know. So, that's why I'm here. I need anonymous help and advice.

Today is day 5 of withdrawal, and I have been trying to hide my symptoms from everyone so no one will find out what I'm going through. I just want it to stop!

Can anyone tell me how much longer this is supposed to take? I feel nauseous all the time like when I was pregnant, but eating seems to make it worse. I really thought I would be better by today, but I couldn't go to work again today. Can anyone give me a timeline or advice on what to do about my nausea and shaking? Are there vitamins or detox pills that I can take that will cleans my system faster or help with the symptoms?

MrsW
Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My takeaway from your post is that you are five days sober, which is absolutely fantastic! Great job. As far as your when your symptoms should subside, I don't think anybody can give you an accurate answer to that, but you might want to pay your doctor a visit. In any event, they will eventually subside and you absolutely will begin to feel better and, more importantly, you will feel true freedom for perhaps the first time in your adult life. So ... keep doing what you're doing! Congrats again!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MsMiaW

We're all different when it comes to withdrawal. For me I started to feel progressively better after a week or so.

For me the best medicine as time - but if you're really feeling back I hope you'll consider seeing your Dr - I understand the shame but I'm not sure it s good or in your best interests to prioritise secrecy due to embarrassment?

D
Old 05-01-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im also at home from work today.. I say getting honest with the people around you and know that this is much bigger than just us trying to quit. Trust me on this, I have tried every route possible to quit and stay sober on my own accords. If you are anything like me?? IT doesn't work. You have came to a good place though for support and help if you don't want to do the AA route. I prefer the AA and NA route as it feels so much better to surrender and go in there with my arms open. I was on y knees begging for help more times than 1. Always to go back out there strong and feeling fixed, then the next time worse and worse. Thats the disease in me.

I do small things now and don't do them daily but things that help me are gratitude lists, posting on here, listening to speaker tapes (xa speakers with head phones on helps the mind calm) meetings, reaching out, service, steps, etc.

It all seems so big right now. and you have done 5 days. that is awesome. just know that each day you will get a little strong. Make sure you are putting something in your body, I drink loads of warm water with lemon to help detox, butter toast, oatmeal, something to get in your body.

Be gentle with yourself. This is not your fault. You have a disease, the disease of addiction. I like listening to the doctors opinion from the big book. You can do that as well.

Love you~
Old 05-01-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It will take some time, and 5 days in is when things usually start to turn around. After 20+ years of beating the crap out of your body, change won't happen overnight, but it will get better. Keep it up!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. This is all good advice. I'm going to stick around for a while.

I like reading everyone's posts and ideas, and I wanted to introduce myself.

Best of luck to everyone.

MrsW
Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Five days is wonderful. You are making this happen. I hope you start to feel better soon.

I know you have said that you can't tell anyone but I do believe if you opened up to people they would respond with kindness, love and hopefully an understanding. Personally, when I am open and reach out for help, I notice a lack of judgement towards my issues and a willingness to help and support.

We are here for you. I promise you can do this.