Notices

Hangover-free Sunday!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover-free Sunday!

Good morning, all! I am one week without drink and I feel great!

Last night we went to the in-laws (not married, but might as well be) for dinner and a bonfire. When we got there, without missing a beat, my FIL took out three beers. One for himself, my BF, and myself. When I sat down, without the beer but a seltzer, he said "I took a beer out for you!" I said I wasn't in the mood to drink that night. He was surprised, but didn't mention it again. Then my MIL came out and said she had bought a nice bottle of wine for us. I said I wasn't drinking. She mentioned the fact that I wasn't drinking a couple of times, but it didn't bother me. Things got a bit heated towards the end of the night between my BF and his parents. They have both been heavy smokers for 40+ years. As non-smokers - when we leave their house after a visit, we usually strip and shower because our clothes smell so heavily of smoke. After a few beers, words were a bit looser than normal for all three of them and my BF got upset about their smoking and how they won't take care of themselves. They fight about money, but will spend about $200 per week for their smokes. For the first time I think ever, I'm the one that drive us home.

This morning I woke up around 8am *without* any type of hangover. No dry mouth, no shaky hands, no headache, no confusion, no frantically trying to remember what happened the previous night or what was said, and ZERO guilt. It was truly a great productive Saturday. one of which I have not had in a very long time. My second load of wash is almost done, I'm going to get some work done afterwards, and then I'm going to enjoy my Sunday. Most of the day will be spent reading The Handmaid's Tale. I might pick up my crochet hooks and practice a new stitch. We're making homemade baked macaroni and cheese tonight for dinner. I have to work on my budget.

I just feel so damn good. I know my posts are long and I apologize for that. I just like to write. Maybe I should start moving these posts over to a journal.

I hope you all have a great Sunday. Love to all.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your long posts are great Nikka! Keep them coming. Keep expressing and memorializing how great sobriety is - for yourself and others! Really great job on a week. Keep it up; it gets even better!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't apologize for the posts, they are great.

Yup, it is a great feeling waking up Sunday refreshed and not feeling wiped out.

I bet these kind of conversations about their smoking happen a lot more often then you remember. Just last night you were 100% yourself and not a can of Bud Light.

Congrats on your Sat Night and great Sunday !!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to see how well you're doing Nikki. Congrats on being one week sober!

Great job at turning down the alcohol at the BBQ yesterday. I've yet to put myself in a social situation. Too worried that I'll slip I suppose.

Waking up on weekend mornings without a hangover is definitely a perk to being sober.

Keep up the good work...you're doing this!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your posts! You are doing a great service by posting them. I don't think a blog would get many views.

Look at the "Views" on your threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...archid=7703421

You never know who you are helping. Did you read that thread yesterday from the guy who quit drinking by lurking this site? His first post was yesterday, and it was a Thank You thread. He has two years sober now. That's a testimony to the power of this site. Some days when I log in there are 1600 people who are not members lurking this site. Keep it going, you are a talented writer.

Congratulations on a week! Seven days! In a ROW! Ha. That's what I said when I hit a week.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Good job!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

Mornings are fantastic without hangovers

I am really enjoying your posts
Old 04-30-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great to hear how good you are feeling today.. you did good last night, and you got to see from a sober perspective how wrong people can act when they are drunk. Even non-alcoholics get in to things they would normally leave alone.

(I get that though. It would **** us off when we had to shop at the odds and ends stores for school clothes but she had to buy cartons of cigarettes! She eventually quit within the past few years and she will say it was because of the emphysema and congestive heart failure but it is truly just because her boyfriend wouldn't let her smoke in his house and she didn't want to get out of bed to do it. Addiction is funny that way.)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love your posts NikkaBean, keep writing! You're doing great, congrats on one week sober!!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first week! Your post today resonates with me because I remember the first big reward I remember was how I felt on Sunday mornings. It was the first sign that sobriety was truly a better way to live. keep it going.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^ What they said! ^

Keep posting, I love reading about how positive and life changing sobriety is. You're doing great!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lpg

I did smile reading your post cos I had a similar weekend (2nd weekend with no hangover guilt crying my eyes out for 2 days) it's amazing isn't it. This page is so great and encouraging.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

I love how enthusiastic your posts are, Nikkabean. You're doing great!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love it!
Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week Nikibean - I agree - your pasts are honest, great shares and good reading

D