Notices

My Tip on not drinking liquor

Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Tip on not drinking liquor

This has worked for me when there is no money or I get strong insane cravings. Go buy a few canisters of peppermint Altoids. And take five at a time and you swear you are drinking liquor but you are not. Try it if you are set on getting drunk but deep down you don't want to and need a little help in staying dry and focused.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wouldn't it be a better use of your energy to work on not chasing the feeling of getting drunk Deckard?

D
Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But the cravings do actually go away temporary of course and in a time when you might be in panic mode to drink so I see no harm with this at all. Key word here is temporary.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK I read it like the mints were like drinking alcohol effects wise but you mean just the burn...gotcha.

If it stops you buying real booze..go for it

D
Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do something similar. I drink sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon out of a wine glass
Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Deckard1997 View Post
Go buy a few canisters of peppermint altoids. And take five at a time and you swear you are drinking liquor

Try it if you are set on getting drunk
Although this might have worked for you and i appreciate the sentiment but anything that replicates drinking in such a fashion is in my view a really bad move

You want to get over a craving knowing you done it without succumbing to the urge & whether it's romanticising, taking mints to replicate the feeling of drinking liqor, drinking NA alcohol you name it is all AV

There is a full community here that will help anyone with a craving rather than them not saying anything and just taking 5 mints to make them feel as if they are drinking liqor - what happens when the mints arnt enough ?

I think you came at this from a good place deckard i know that but the thinking is flawed

Coming here saying the words i feel like drinking is such a hard thing to do at first but it is the most practical way of riding out a craving & seeing it for what it truly is the addiction the av the irrationality of it all

Much better to come here & say what's really on your mind there are people from all over the world with tons of experience in this

Not to rain on your parade and i did read your follow up post to D but would ask you to think about what I've said I'm not being cocky just sharing what i think from my last 4 years of recovery

Thank you Deckard it shows you have a good heart brother

Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^^^^^Completely agree.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I say whatever works. I used Altoids to get off the nasty insatiable smoke habit! Near 40 yrs of smoking and I have been smoke free for four (Oct will be 4 yrs)...I no longer have an urge for an Altoid or smoke! This is one of those individual choices of how to break an addiction. We all have our own opinions on this.

I accidentally agreed with SoberWolf and can't take it back. It won't let me delete my Thank You.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you refresh the page you can remove the thanks Mrs CB
Old 04-30-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks!