Notices

Day 2 Sober - Tinnitus

Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 Sober - Tinnitus

I have been having pretty constant but mild tinnitus (ears ringing) for over 5 years, nothing new for me. As of last night it got kicked up a notch and is pretty annoying. Currently it is two days of being sober. I do not see this on lists of withdrawal symptoms.

Is it bad enough to want to grab a bottle? No way! Alcohol is not an option, ever again. Other then this my only withdrawal symptom is a very mild headache starting in the back of my neck at the base of my skull.

BTW - I have been to an ear/nose/throat doc before and been told my tinnitus is just that I am getting older. Hearing that bothers me more then the ringing in my ears.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job on 2 days Pianoman! Keep it up. See a doctor if your symptoms get worse - withdrawal is nothing to mess with.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you're sticking with sobriety and not giving in to the tinnitus. Congrats on two days. I couldn't even manage one in the beginning.

I don't have any experience with the tinnitus but I know of two people from SR who do have it. I'm sure someone else will come along with some suggestions about it.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had Tinnitus for 10 years. In no way am I saying we are the same. But my doctor said that when going through traditional w/d that anyone pre-existsing conditions can be amplified by the w/d and anxiety. Not getting worse just you feel it more b/c you don't have a substance to subdue it. Congrats on Two days! that was always my hurdle and so glad I'm past it now!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking gave me horrible tinnitus! I have bad allergies too so that contributed but it was definitely connected to drinking. I still get it a little bit now that I've quit but NOTHING like it used to be. So if my experience will be anything like yours, I can't say for sure, but yeah quitting drinking will significantly help with tinnitus. I feel you pain, it is the most annoying disruptive ailment! It used to be exhausting to listen to people, what? What? WHAT? Talk in my good ear.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had tinnitus for many years. Drinking did make it worse, and I think that withdrawals from alcohol were the worst time. Hopefully, your tinnitus will settle back down to a dull roar.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know a few people here on SR with Tinnitus I'm sure they will chip in with things that have worked for them
Old 04-28-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had tinnitus all my life - whether I'm used to it now or it's better since I quit drinking, I don't know, but I rarely notice it now.

Hope you can get to that stage too Pianoman

D
Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Still hanging in there and doing well. Thank you everyone for the comments. I am thinking that once I am done with detox and perhaps even parts of paws the ringing ears will calm down a little.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Around my second or third day sober I had a serious headache and my tinnitus greatly increased. I've never had issues with headaches outside of bad hangovers, so this was unusual for me. The headache ended overnight, and the tinnitus is back to normal, but for that one evening I felt like my head was going to pop.