Notices

has anyone ever been fired/quit for being drunk at work?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

has anyone ever been fired/quit for being drunk at work?

hey all,

I have an interview lined up tomorrow and I'm quite nervous about it. At my previous job, I, well.. wore out my welcome to due drinking on the job/missing too many days. I quit the job before they could fire me because I was warned and I chose not to listen.

How should I go about it if they ask about my previous work history? Frankly, I doubt I'd get a positive reference so I don't even want to consider asking.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I see you are newly sober. Any chance you can hold off on a job until you get some sobriety under your belt? Prove to yourself that you won't repeat the mistakes of your last job?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chances are, the new job is going to want some kind of recent employment reference. And, I think many companies will only offer a 'yes, Mr X was employed by us from ...to.... '. They will not add anything positive or negative to that. Beyond that, I think it's best to say as little as possible about why you left your previous job.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sure did. Twice. I'm not proud of it and now I have a gap between employers. I agree with​the other poster to get your sobriety straight before going for a new job. I really can't give any solid advice as I am very raw in sobriety. Good luck my friend.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if rules vary by state, but where I live, former employers are only allowed to state when you were hired, when you left and "would you rehire this person".

They are not allowed to say how you performance was or if you were warned, BUT having someone say "no, I would not rehire him/her" is a strong statement.

I actually got a job while I was still locked up in a diversion center. Way beneath my work experience but it was what I needed.

I can understand the need for a job, but in my experience, sobriety must come first. The more time we put between us and our past, the better. I did volunteer work that eventually led to a paying job and had excellent references - and they knew my past.

Maybe something to consider?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Never fired. Did end up close a few times. One time I went on a drunken/drug bender with the boss. Ended up in the drunk tank. Not very fun at all.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been "demoted", but my boss likes me so I didn't get fired ... should have been though. I called in sick due to hangover; left work at 2:00 pm to go drinking on many occasions, just answering emails from the pub as out of office, then staggering back to the office at 430 or 500 to continue work as if nothing's happened (wow, genius, they knew!). Somehow I held on to the job, but last year they said they wanted to pay me less or cut me loose. They were entirely right. It was humiliating to see others who perform about half as well as me continue to excel, and then I thought, but oh yeah, I was at the bar during work hours frequently??? How could I think I deserved something over someone else?

Anyway, I wish you luck in your job-seeking endeavors. If asked why you are leaving the old place and uncomfortable questions, maybe just say "I had a medical issue that impacted my work, but it's resolved now"?

Best wishes for your job search