Notices

HOW do you find/attempt an AA meeting

Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HOW do you find/attempt an AA meeting

I have NOT researched this b/c I'm just not there yet. But I find the AA group thing to be very SCARY. I live in Tampa Florida. For me to actually GO to an AA meeting would freak the FREAK out of me.

Are there other things, other meetings or groups, or steps to take before this? I know I prob sound ridiculous but I just can't imagine sitting around the circle of people I don't know, in a town where I do know people. Just sounds frightening.

Thank you,
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by FitDrinker View Post
I have NOT researched this b/c I'm just not there yet. But I find the AA group thing to be very SCARY. I live in Tampa Florida. For me to actually GO to an AA meeting would freak the FREAK out of me.

Are there other things, other meetings or groups, or steps to take before this? I know I prob sound ridiculous but I just can't imagine sitting around the circle of people I don't know, in a town where I do know people. Just sounds frightening.

Thank you,
Meetings are awesome. The scariest is the first. Most the people there are just like us. You dont have to talk at all. You will be welcomed and are wanted there. The feeling after a good meeting is better than any buzz I got from drinking.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ok.... so it's just like anything else. Jumping off a diving board. Riding a bike. Trying a new food.....

It's maybe a little scary at first but once you just DO it, you find it's actually pretty ok... maybe even enjoyable.... maybe even just what you've been waiting for.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a very nice AA meeting in Gulfport, not all that far away. Takes place on the beach. Google gulfport AA.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unhappy

If anyone in the Tampa area has suggestions for meetings. I looked up all the meetings in my area and theres an entire page, over 30. I'm not ready to just pop in
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
There is a very nice AA meeting in Gulfport, not all that far away. Takes place on the beach. Google gulfport AA.
Thank you for this info. Do you know personally about it? It isn't too far from me....
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Call the local group number and you can most likely get a good suggestion for your area. You may even be able to arrange someone to meet you outside or beforehand so you don't have to walk in alone.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Continuing to drink became a much scarier proposition than meeting up with sober drunks. It's like the tavern with coffee..........
Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd suggest going to a newcomer meeting it's specifically​ designed for newcomers to AA

I just checked in your area there are newcomer meetings

Tri-County Central Office - Alcoholics Anonymous - Tampa

Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meetings are everywhere and all the time. Taking that first step can be scary, but you will feel a million times better after you do it.
No one will put you on the spot or anything, you can just simply sit there are listen.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are a zillion meetings

I found going to meeting was a lot less scary than losing my marriage, love ones, job, health, freedom or life For me an AA meeting is the only place I feel truly safe and at home. There are no strangers in AA but only friends you haven't met
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Re: Gulfport AA, fitdrinker. My bestie lives there and there is a strong recovery group within her circle of work and friends.
That's about all I know, beyond the fact that there is a 7 am meeting on the Gulfport beach on Sundays.
Good luck.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting on Sunday and I've been every day since. What I was once so afraid of has turned into something I truly look forward to. Everyone is welcoming, kind and respectful. You don't have to say a word. Good luck!!