Notices

Day #1 and scared.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day #1 and scared.

Hello all, just wanted to start my journey here and see where it takes me. I'm tired. I'm really sick and tired of my drinking affecting everything I do in life

I'm sick of it making my hair dry and brittle
I'm sick of the way my face itches and is covered in pimples
I'm sick of the way my throat always hurts and its hard to swallow
I'm sick of the way my mouth tastes
I'm sick of the way I have to drink to make my stomach not hurt
I'm sick of the way my entire body itches
I'm sick of the way it makes it hurt when I have to go to the bathroom
I'm sick of the way it makes my body shake, even now I'm having a hard time holding my coffee
I'm sick of the way I can't eat unless I'm drunk
I'm sick of the way it made me lose my job, car insurance, every last penny that I have.
I'm sick of my heart feeling like its going to explode
I'm sick of it making me sell my stuff in the hopes that I get enough money to buy some booze

Yesterday I tapered off with six beers through out the day as opposed to my normal 18ish shots of vodka. I spent the day scratching myself and shaking under the blankets. I've been unemployed for a month. I got drunk too many times at work, sent to detox twice. The last time I went to detox I spent one night there. My stomach hurt so bad that I left, walked to the liquor store, and drank it in the coffee shop bathroom next door. That was October. I hate the fact that I dropped out of college to booze full time. I'm only in my mid 20's and I feel like an old man. It hurts to walk, I'm covered in sores and bruises that I don't know where they came from.

Have a good 24 everyone.

I'm gonna go watch some television and hopefully ride out my paranoia and jitters.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Ricky112.

Congratulations on deciding to quit, make sure that you drink sufficient water and eat as well as you can. As i'm sure you are aware withdrawals can be dangerous but if you should get in a bad way take yourself to A&E rather than drink.

There is tons of information on this site about overcoming cravings and staying quit so have a good read of the "stickies" at the top of the page.

I wish you all the best, stopping in your mid twenties is much better than leaving it for say another 5 years.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome Ricky

it's never too late to turn things around man.
You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.

D
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Ricky. congratulations on deciding to stop drinking. You list many great reasons for stopping. This list will help keep you accountable. I'm only on day 10 but already I'm feeling so much better. I can honestly say hand on heart, I never ever want to drink again. It takes a while for things to turn around but the point is things do get better. Obviously you know stopping suddenly can be dangerous for some so make sure you are safe. At the same time, be honest with yourself and don't use that as an excuse like I did so many times. There are so many great people here with lots of good advice. This place is a God send! I look forward to hearing about your day 2 Ricky, keep up the good work!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Ricky! You picked a great day to get sober - today!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've been to hell and are starting the journey to freedom, which in itself can feel like another form of hell but is, in fact, the journey back to life.

You can do it, and if you stop drinking in your mid-twenties you can count it all a blessing!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are incredibly young and already know, without a doubt, that you cannot safely consume any amount of booze. That is knowledge, wisdom perhaps, that I wish I had been brave enough to face at your age. With that knowledge, if you slay this beast, you have a really, really great chance to live the life that you dream of, whatever it may be. Take this opportunity and take it now, because the alternative is to stay on this elevator as it accelerates on its way down.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ricky congratulations & best of luck .. I'm on day 2 it's really hard but SR is a wonderful forum to help and read others positive journeys to recovery.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi SR Ricky - I completely understand what you're going through. Tapering is really tough - I tried it and ended up in the emergency room with horrible withdrawal symptoms. If you start feeling really bad, just go -- things can escalate quickly and without warning, and often on the 2nd or 3rd day after the last drink.

You sound like you're absolutely ready to start taking steps to stop completely, which is great! And being in your mid-20s is a great time to do, as your body is still resilient and you can most likely turn the damage around.

I used to wake up with unexplainable bruises as well - you should probably go to a doctor and get your blood levels checked. With 18 shots a day, you're likely to have some vitamin deficiencies.

Keep posting here!! Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done and the best of luck on your journey (no one says it will be easy) but SR helps
Thinking of you and your bright future ahead x
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

See a doc
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey glad to see you decided to post!

Im only on day 2 myself so I know what it's like, I drank a lot too and finally I realized it wasn't doing anything for me anymore, there was no enjoyment in being drunk anymore because it was the norm. The only thing I got out of it was a nasty morning/day the next day. Perhaps you have come to the same conclusion?

I wish you all the best and were all here for ya!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I couldn't eat without drinking first either. And my stomach hurt when I wasn't drinking. I'm still not a big eater but it doesn't hurt anymore.

Quitting is so hard but so well worth it. Keep coming back here for support if you feel an urge to drink. It can be minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day in the beginning. Just keep plugging away at it, one moment at a time if you have to.

Welcome.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ricky, today is my Day 1 also; although, I'm more of a binge drinker, so I won't suffer severe physical withdrawals. So let's both stay strong today and we can make if for 24 hours. Post here if you're feeling weak. I'm focusing on the future today, rather than the past. The future looks much brighter.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you for deciding to quit at a young age!! You are saving yourself so much future pain by facing the problem head on now!

Day 1 is very scary but you can do this!!

Please don't hesitate to see a doctor if you need to.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for all the kind words. I used to have an opiate addiction so I was kind of hesitant to go see a doctor. My chest still hurts, I'm freezing and itchy, still hurts to use the rest room, but as of a few minutes ago I got through 24 hours for the first time in over a month.

Have a good 24 everyone!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ricky112 View Post
Thank you all for all the kind words. I used to have an opiate addiction so I was kind of hesitant to go see a doctor. My chest still hurts, I'm freezing and itchy, still hurts to use the rest room, but as of a few minutes ago I got through 24 hours for the first time in over a month.

Have a good 24 everyone!
That's great Ricky, I'm doing well today also, so stay strong. If we stayed sober one day, we can do the same for another day.

The withdrawal symptoms should subside in a few days, but if you get to the point where you are in danger, it's probably better to hit the ER or visit an MD than to be sorry later.

Peace
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ricky, be very proud of the decision you've made to stop drinking and for getting through the first 24 hours. You have found a great place to come for support and we do understand how hard this is. Have faith that you will regain your health and be the person that you want to be. It's never too late to turn things around.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Ricky! I experienced many of the things on your list - but I was much older by the time I did anything about it. I'm happy you've made the big decision to kick it out of your life. Welcome to a great place for encouragement.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Ricky?