Notices

Anzac day

Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anzac day

- Grandpa 1 was in France- WW1. He was an alcie. His son, my dad was an alcie- I am an alcie.
-Grandpa 2- died from cancer from mustard gas poisoning- when my mother was young. She never got over it- which effected me as a kid and I am an alcie. Plus her bro who drank himself to death on whiskey in a hospital bed.
- My bro drank himself to death.

ANZAC biscuits were made by women - from basic war time available rationed ingredients to send to men fighting in the war in RED CROSS parcels.

ANZAC stands for the Australian, New Zealand Army Corp. The landing and slaughter of troops at Gallipoli for many- is considered a defining moment in Australia's national identity.

ANZAC services are held each year @ Gallipoli in Turkey. This year there were more Turkish Army security than Australian. There is a bond of mutual respect because of that crap time.

As a nurse I worked with many ww1, 2 and Viet Vets- who drank to forget- or to remember how to feel.

At a meeting today there was a young lady whose ex. is active in the Aust. army. She recalls how ANZAC was like a formal event for them- then it was all day drinking.

Random thoughts- but they are ones that effect me deeply.

I certainly will not forget.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My Dad was aVietnan era vet , my uncle was aVietnam combat vet, my boss is a Vietnam combat vet, I am an ex marine Gulf one era, and I work with Iraq/ Afghanistan combat vets. I also do interviews of combat vets for the Veterans History project. Google it....I've interviewed vets from most conflicts WW2 and later. God bless the nations who value peace and freedom. It wasn't free!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My Great Uncle and my mums brother served (different wars)
May they, and all who served, both rest in peace.

They gave their yesterdays for our tomorrow.

D
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lest we forget.

For the Fallen

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn;
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Anzac Day
Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wasn't born Australian but I'm proud to be Australian. I have never had a family member who served but I am profoundly grateful to all who have served in the name of democracy and freedom.

The fact of war is a terrible stain on the human race. That it remains a reality to this day should be a cause of deep shame to all of us.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

MissP every word you wrote is "me too".

I was born in sweden whitch hasn't been to war for more than 200 years. One thing that struck me when coming to oz back in the early 70's was the number of people with lost limbs around the place. Something I'd rarely seen before.

I went to an AA meeting this evening. A big one because of the Anzac day. Usually we only have a couple of people. Anyway, good to be here.