Notices

Do you calculate time? I do. A year ago, the end began

Old 04-24-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you calculate time? I do. A year ago, the end began

About a year ago, the real downward spiral began. I was doing some work this morning and I as I wrote the week in this period of time down, I realized that a year ago right about now (early May) is when work ended, as it does every year at this time, and I had nothing to do (rather, I wasn't interested in doing anything other) except drinking.

Sleepness nights, only comforted by constant nips, then the hard wake up at 7 to get my child off to school Back to the comfort of my home where I took refuge and was a recluse (except for very necessary chores) and drank the days away while surfing the net, napping like a cat, and occasionally eating (not really at the end, though. I wasn't hungry or thirsty).

While working, I couldn't allow myself to go over the deep end, but once I was done with my job for the season, all bets were off, and was one long, weird, and unhappy party. But, I needed the booze, and soon, so did my body.

Well, that lasted for about 7 weeks. I did some horrible stuff in that period, stuff I don't feel comfortable talking about (it didn't involve job loss or dui, or killing someone, or beating, but it did involve very bad stuff). Mid-June, I was in the hospital, dying.

In any case, it's been almost a year. These days, I'm out and about all the time and making big plans for summer. What a different a ywar makes.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety. You've been an inspiration to me on this board.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate to that. About a year ago I too was looking for work and spent so much time drinking... So many forgotten days and nights it scares me when I think about it. I'm a very social person, but alcohol made me a recluse too. I remember the first morning I woke up and knee I needed vodka, like physically needed it or I would start sweating and shaking. I was terrified.

I'm hoping to find what you found - a year is so great I've never had a full year. I'm hoping this will be the time!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your year of sobriety!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done my friend
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!