Notices

My personal catch word

Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My personal catch word

I am using this word to help me on a daily basis. It sums up all that is a problem or concern for me and I just need to remind my self of it all the time. It cant do any harm and maybe it will do some good.
In order for me to feel whole again Ineed to focus on:

W eight, a worry and concern for me.
H ealth, another worry and concern for
me.
O ne day at a time. Sleep, wake, dont
drink.
L ooks. Hopefully will improve.
E at well and fuel my body instead of
downing it.

WHOLE, isnt that how we should all feel ? Not broken and damaged.

This is how I want to live my life and boy, am I going to give it my best shot this time.
Hope you are all having a good day
SB.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Those are great words to live by! I like that you said fuel your body instead of downing it. Conscious, deliberate practice of good habits is so much a part of recovery.

It's crazy to think about how far from whole alcohol takes us. When I'm drinking, I don't care about anything; not myself, not those around me. That's certainly no one anyone wants to be!! Good for you for giving sobriety a solid effort
Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi SB. I love that idea. It helped me in early sobriety as thinking of moving towards the light. I embraced the fact that I only had to do this once, and the climb out of the hole was difficult, yet the fact that my life started to fall back in place was such a reward.

To me sobriety isn't about what we are depriving ourselves of, it is the fact that so many things once again become possible. I was 47 when I got sober (about 4 years ago). I didn't have any legal, financial or marital issues but my life was in tatters. I remember that period as being immersed in darkness, it was suffocating.

My health improved so dramatically. In fact my doctor told me my blood work was excellent last month..... I have gotten back to being fit and athletic. I take care of myself and I take care of my family. My home was in chaos when I quit, now it is fairly organized. I always smile when I think about the fact that most normal people wouldn't understand how monumental it is to be current on all doctor and dentist appointments, know when the car needs to be serviced, have my hair colored.

It is not that I can't drink, it is that I don't drink. I am a non-drinker, that part of my life is over. I read a lot about the power of habit. There are strong neurological pulls that create habit loops and breaking out of that cycle is really uncomfortable at first. But no one has ever died from being uncomfortable. Expect to be anxious but know that you will not feel like that forever.

Alcohol is such a small thing to give up in light of everything that quitting brings. I was so sick of being owned by it. Hiding the bottles, worrying about getting more, more , more. My world had telescoped down, and my sense of time was so eroded, I could only get through the day, the basics.

Quitting is choosing to stop poisoning ourselves. Once we remove that poison we are forced to find other, healthier, ways to live. I think WHOLE is a perfect way to describe that!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jaynie, you sum me up perfectly. Functioning, joining all the dots, getting by but not LIVING. Well done on your success, such an inspiration to me. I want to LIVE now, not just EXIST. SB
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like it
Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too SW, makes me feel positive
Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

c011:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerBee View Post
Jaynie, you sum me up perfectly. Functioning, joining all the dots, getting by but not LIVING. Well done on your success, such an inspiration to me. I want to LIVE now, not just EXIST. SB
I agree, Jaynie- so well said!!

My boyfriend (also in recovery) and I talk about emotional sobriety all the time. For me, it comes before physical because if I maintain it, the physical is naturally the consequence. I have a life I never would have imagined- literally, as in what I do and am, and figuratively as in how complete it is now- and will protect that wholeness at any cost.

Thanks for the original post SB!