Notices

Went to Urgent Care

Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to Urgent Care

I'm on Day 1 again. Began having palpitations and checked my BP at a local drugstore. Was high so I bit the bullet and went to Urgent Care. EKG was normal but blood pressure is still elevated so I am to check it daily and keep a journal before my May 1 appt with my GP. She also took blood which of course scares me, but at this point I need to know what I'm dealing with even if it's bad news.

I came 100% clean about my alcoholism with the doctor. She was very understanding, recommended AA and gave me a list of things to monitor with instructions to come back if symptoms worsen.

I feel somewhat relieved. Another hurdle jumped. Now just praying my BP returns to normal and my blood work is okay.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but I read that people who are quitting alcohol can have palpitations. I've had them for a while due to other issues and they can be really scary. I hope all goes great with you blood work and your bp will be back to normal soon.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had dangerously high BP when I was drinking. It has returned to being near perfect. You'll know when it drops, you will feel calm and not like a bomb.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Freedom,
Do you have a history of high BP? Was your BP not high enough for your doctor to prescribe meds?
In my case, I had high BP before I quit drinking and it went higher during withdrawal. Was really high still after 10 days abstinence at which time I went to a doctor and got a rx for it. Now, at almost two months sobriety it is finally normal (with meds).
Good luck to you!
Old 04-22-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlito61 View Post
Freedom,
Do you have a history of high BP? Was your BP not high enough for your doctor to prescribe meds?
In my case, I had high BP before I quit drinking and it went higher during withdrawal. Was really high still after 10 days abstinence at which time I went to a doctor and got a rx for it. Now, at almost two months sobriety it is finally normal (with meds).
Good luck to you!
No I have never had high blood pressure before. I am also about 70 pounds overweight so I'm sure that is a contributing factor.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Free,

Heart palips were not enough to make me quit.

I would wake up from a drunken passout gasping for air, heart racing, bp so strong I could feel my ear drums pulsing.

Still didn't quit.

When I was walking down the street a few time in a week and suddenly I couldn't stand upright because of some detox issue in my brain...that scared me to death.

When I had to drive my car w one eye closed in order to not be terrified of all the information coming in, I knew I was in a serious state. This was my day 1.

I was heavily physically addicted. I still crave periodically in spite of having those memories.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Freedom, you did a hard thing by facing the issue head on. That's a big step towards healing. Hopefully your blood pressure will settle down as you continue recovery.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job of taking care of yourself and going to Urgent Care.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Two huge steps here...going for help and being honest about your alcohol use.

Hooray for you!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you for getting help!

Drink lots of water and rest as much as you can. You can do this....You can stay sober!!! Prayers to you!

Norma
Old 04-22-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking can only help things return to normal freedom17

D
Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom17 View Post
Was high so I bit the bullet and went to Urgent Care. EKG was normal but blood pressure is still elevated so I am to check it daily and keep a journal before my May 1 appt with my GP. She also took blood which of course scares me, but at this point I need to know what I'm dealing with even if it's bad news.

I came 100% clean about my alcoholism with the doctor. She was very understanding, recommended AA and gave me a list of things to monitor with instructions to come back if symptoms worsen.
Two thumbs up for what you did, Freedom!

Being honest with your doctor was brave ... and now you have an ally in your fight against this. Awesome work.