Notices

3 Days..Brain is trying to sabotage me...

Old 04-22-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 3 Days..Brain is trying to sabotage me...

Hi everyone, first thank you for all your support and it's been so helpful reading through your posts throughout the day.

I have three days sober. The first two were okay, since the withdrawal made me feel crappy enough to not want a drink. But today I woke up and my mind has started trying to play tricks on me...

"You've stopped drinking for three days. You're not an alcoholic, you couldn't do that if you were."
"You have a whole week off for your birthday... it's time to celebrate!"
"Do you want to feel like crap for your birthday? You'll feel better if you have a drink."

I know I can't start, because starting leads to a scary unknown of what will (not what could) happen when I get two bottles of wine deep.

I'm just trying to hold onto why I'm quitting... not getting my son taken away by CPS because I put him in danger....It doesn't help that my dad (who is an alcoholic) will be here to stay with us on Monday, and even though he knows I'm trying to quit, will surely be bringing cases of booze. Help...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going on your 3 days, Homesteadforage. Yeah, that brain wants its alcohol it got used to and will lie to get it!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every time you have these thoughts- post, post,post.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days. There is a saying around here "quitting is easy, staying quit is the hard part". After 3 days the mind does start to play tricks. Power through it, its tough, but you can do it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Only we would "celebrate" by making ourselves sick, right? Sounds like ex-me.

I think you have every right to tell your dad that you don't want booze in YOUR house. If he's staying with you he can go to the bar to drink - or he can stay at a local motel. I wouldn't have allowed alcohol in my house in that first month. Too dangerous.

Heck, it's been three years and I haven't allowed alcohol in my house. No need for it to be here.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 days is JUST long enough to get past the physical withdrawal symptoms. Stop putting yourself through that discomfort. You never have to do that again.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I could have written your post, I had so many 3 days, 10 days, 30 days ect.... then a friend of mine at AA said to me "Mick the war in your mind is over, your last drink is done, day at a time, minutes at a time, anything is better than drinking." It is a daily deal, but everyday sober it just gets better hang strong, be strong and ask for help when you need it.
Mick
Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick with us
Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If your Dad cares about you he will understand. If you don't want to drink don't have it around you right now!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Homesteadforage View Post
Hi everyone, first thank you for all your support and it's been so helpful reading through your posts throughout the day.

I have three days sober. The first two were okay, since the withdrawal made me feel crappy enough to not want a drink. But today I woke up and my mind has started trying to play tricks on me...

"You've stopped drinking for three days. You're not an alcoholic, you couldn't do that if you were."
"Do you want to feel like crap for your birthday? You'll feel better if you have a drink."

I know I can't start, because starting leads to a scary unknown of what will (not what could) happen when I get two bottles of wine deep.

I'm just trying to hold onto why I'm quitting... not getting my son taken away by CPS because I put him in danger....It doesn't help that my dad (who is an alcoholic) will be here to stay with us on Monday, and even though he knows I'm trying to quit, will surely be bringing cases of booze. Help...
Hold on to why you're quiting. This addiction wants us to fail. I cannot even speak right now because I'm in a failing state but I know from my children that your son needs his mommy....sober. I was truly lucky to give that to my son but my daughter dealt my addiction and I am still working on her forgiveness.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Homesteadforage View Post
A question: have you taken a look at the Secular Connections forum? Seems to me that the fact you are recognizing this voice as your addiction speaking means your already doing Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy/ AVRT.

I'm not expert, but a few simple ideas from AVRT have helped me a great deal. I try to recognize thoughts like these as my addiction speaking (my "addictive voice" or "AV"). When you can recognize this as your addiction speaking rather than the logical part of your brain, you can ignore them a lot easier.

Basically, any thought that is prompting you to drink is your addiction lying to you. Ignore it.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Homesteadforage

posting here daily - and more than daily - really helped me break that cycle.

By rereading my threads and reading others I reinforced the idea that my drinking really was that bad and that I really did have a problem.

Accepting that was the first step to change

D
Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Home,

Eat when you crave. Get and stay full of food. Healthy stuff. Sweet stuff.

I ate every 2 hours or less. Yogurt, granola bars, fruit, cookies, lunch meat, steak, sugary lime soda (this tasted like a margarita), etc.

I can't guarantee that I drank way harder than you or that I was more addicted than you, but I was a blithering mess.

I was in cold sweats the first week.

I felt like I was going to fall over sometimes for over a month.

If you don't feel like that, you are in better shape than I was.

But, the problem is the AV will try to use that against you.

It takes 2 or 3 weeks to get into a habit of not drinking.

Until then, you have to force yourself to do other things.

Thanks.