Notices

Alcohol detox pain

Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol detox pain

Hi, Im new here. This was going to be day 6 of going cold turkey after 14 years of heavy drinking. I feel ashamed to say that the pain was unbearable. My head and neck felt like it'd been hit by a bat and this was constant for several days. Unrelenting.
I was near passing out from the pain. Figured a little wine may relieve what paracetamol has been unable to do. It worked.
I'm wondering what other methods there are for relieving withdrawl pain other than to resort to drinking again?
Im not going to dr
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not go to a doctor?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kadlin there is no need to be ashamed about succumbing the discomfort of alcohol withdrawal. It is a serious medical condition. We're neither allowed nor qualified to give medical advice here, but there is no truly safe way to detox from alcohol without medical supervision. Some people have tried a tapering method, where you reduce your consumption over a period of time, but that is rarely successful and few, if any, people here will recommend that. In any case, if you are having so much physical pain, perhaps there is something going on besides simple alcohol withdrawal.

I quit cold turkey on several occasions, and had seizures (and trips to the ER) twice. The second time, I was about 20 seconds from getting in the car and driving across town. If the seizure had hit when I was driving, I may not be here today.

It's your business if you don't want to seek medical supervision. But it is very dangerous, and I hope you'll reconsider.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for reaching out. I've hidden the extent of this for so long that I'm not sure I could face somebody and openly admit my problem just yet.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My two cents. Detox sucks. Medical detox is not only safe but makes it suck less. Detox is dangerous. Really wish you would reconsider getting medical assistance. Detox damn near killed me twice.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suggest you see a doctor asap.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Admitting you have a problem and admitting it to drs or family for me was my first step i didnt feel isolated or alone after this please reconsider

Good luck x
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kadlin
I'm sorry you're in pain but if it's unbearable I can't suggest anything else but seeing a Dr.

Drinking more wine is only perpetuating the problem and probably making it worse.

D
Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes when I detoxed my whole body had terrible pain, it wasn't what I expected at all. I was medically detoxed in hospital because I was very unwell but I still got the pain and couldnt even walk for two days. And yes of course a glass of wine would have reversed that quickly.
You've been drinking a long time, I know some people can detox alone but I would never risk it. First step see a doctor it should all snowball from there and hopefully you will get the help you need x
Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can honestly say that opening up to my doctor about the extent of my problems was probably the best thing I have ever done for myself. With all due respect, putting off getting help might be your addiction protecting itself from be challenged by an outsider...

Other than that, the initial stages of alcohol withdrawal can be hellish. The physical and psychological pressures to drink to relieve the symptoms may seem completely unbearable. I took strength from the idea that all those pressures were my addiction suffering from being denied alcohol rather than me. The pain meant I was winning and getting better.

It may seem awful and insurmountable at the moment but a few days or weeks to get clear of the worst of it is a small price to pay for starting your new life.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Man, i remember the withdrawal pain vividly. Worst thing ive ever felt. Doctor may be a good idea. For myself, the optimism that everyday would get better helped. Keep posting. I do remember that really helping me. Stay strong. Stay with us.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you today, Kadlin?