Notices

Feeling very low

Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling very low

Hi. I've been struggling for years.

I just completed 35 days w no drinking April 16. The next day I got the great idea to start drinking while my husband and guests were out. By the time they got back I was ready to go out to dinner but pretty drunk

Then proceeded to drive 5 people 20 miles. At restaurant my husband walked out. He drove us all home, I had some more wine there and went to bed.

This is not my 1st slip but pretty darn bad. Saw my dr today and she suggested outpatient counseling.

I don't want to lose my husband and family.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Suzette
Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. What do you think drives you back to drinking after you have had time away from it?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Suzette; you will find much understanding, encouragement and support here.

Glad you found us.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome. Lots of support here. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

welcome Suzette. 35 days is a great achievement, you've had a blip but can still build on that good work

counselling for support sounds good. and of course post on here when you need to vent or need an ear. we are here for each other
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Suzette, you got through 35 days and that was great.

My advice is to try to figure out why you made the choice to drink when your husband and guests were out. Then, you can work on adding something to your recovery plan so that it doesn't happen again. Maybe Day 35 was too early for you to be going to a restaurant with drinking. I couldn't have done that, and stayed away from those situations for many months.

Above all, give yourself credit for what you accomplished and for coming back and being ready to give it your all once again.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Suzette! Welcome to SR. You have found a wonderful group here.

I had to come to a point in my life in which I needed to let certain things go and stop fretting about things I have no control over. Letting go is a process for most of us and not very easy sometimes. Oh the things we "cling" to that are not good for us and maybe just not meant for us.

I've turned to music a lot to help me out. My guitar and piano and fiddle are great friends and I've tapped into some artists who are great song writers and they write stuff I can relate to and help me explore the issues and make me realize I'm not alone in the struggle.

Here's a song by Ruth Moody. The song to me is about coming to place of feeling very low, but then realizing acceptance and letting go.....Letting go of things not meant for us so liberating! But we don't find that out until we actually let go.

These Wilder Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7pL0nWLFgw
Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Suzette, Look at what you accomplished! In over a month you didn't have a drink. Start fresh, one day at a time. You can do it again and then some! One slip that can be corrected. I am new here and finding so much support. I'm sure you've come to the right place.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you can get back on track.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Suzette- Welcome to SR. I'm sorry you're struggling. Trust me, I've been where you are and it sucks! The way I look at it, there's much to learn from a relapse. As others have mentioned, try to figure out what brought you to taking that drink. Then devise a plan to keep you from repeating the same slip-up again.

You've come to the right place, there's a lot of support and information here. Seeing a counselor is a fantastic idea!

Take a deep breath and get right back at it. If you were able to maintain sobriety for 35 days, you can do this.

Big hugs!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Suzette, don't beat yourself up too much. : ) It has literally taken me 4 years to "get" Step 1 in that my life becomes completely unmanageable if i pick up a drink. I'll be in my house with the shades drawn, isolating, not paying my bills, not doing my dishes..etc..etc. You can do this!
Garrison
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Suz,
I agree with creative thinker. All is not lost at a relapse as long as you don't give up. Never give up. Search for the reasons why you gave in. Build and fortify your plan to avoid the situation next time. I learned to resist the craving and just anticipate how bad I would feel if I drank it would pass.

Stay with it, you can do it. I know it.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are here Suz. Keep working at it.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've done it too, Suzette. I don't know why we sabotage ourselves like that. We know once that first drink hits we're in trouble. Willpower goes out the window - no telling where it will end. It was a relief when I finally admitted I couldn't touch a drop. I felt bad thinking of the 'fun' I'd be missing - but if we're honest, it is never fun anymore. Not when dangerous & unpredictable things keep happening. You can get back on track and have a great life.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The worst part is not losing family and friends. The worst part is losing your own self. And once you've lost your self to alcohol there is nothing there for your family anyway.

That's why we say you can't successfully stop drinking for other people; it has to be for yourself.

Do you have a plan? Can you find a community of people who are recovering from drinking.

You know you can make it a month or so on your own, but to quit on a sustainable basis the help of others who know how to stay away from a drink is essential.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Suzette:
I feel very low myself. Let's you and me hang together and get to feeling better! I've been sober for nearly 29 years but, because of tensions in my family, have started to have nightmares that I've resumed drinking. I have no cravings to drink, don't even think about it when I'm awake. But when I'm asleep I dream and I can't control that, other than to wake up some how. I remember when I was in a rehab back in 1988 a fellow said, "Let's do it (get well) together!" And we did. And now I'm nearly ninety and I dream. Suzette, let's do it together! PM me if you want. I'm here.

Bill
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Do the counselling. support to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Suzette

I kinda felt my life was over when I started looking for a place like SR...but in reality I got my life back again.

You will find a lot of support and encouragement here..and I hope, a little hope as well

good to have you with us

D
Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzette3 View Post
Hi. I've been struggling for years.

I don't want to lose my husband and family.
How are you doing Suzette? Can I help in any way? Sent you a "friend" request but it remains unanswered.

Take care with driving. If you get in an accident you may lose not only your family if they are in the car but yourself or harm others even kill them. This would not only haunt you forever but make further recovery extremely difficult.

Bill.