Notices

Day 3 cravings

Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 cravings

Made it half way to bottle shop and turned around and came home. Do the cravings ever get any easier?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They do SoberNunn though not immediately.

Well done for turning round, it is tough for those first days but you will never regret waking up hangover free.

It is a good idea to have some form of distraction to hand, something that engages your mind rather than thinking about those cravings. Online Sudoku was my choice but anything that requires some concentration will do. It does not take much to trick that part of our brain.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you turned around, and you are going to be so happy when you wake up sober tomorrow. The cravings absolutely get easier. I found it important to occupy the time I would have spent drinking with other things in the beginning: gym, walk with my kids, bath, reading, games, surfing SR...

I am getting close to 16 months sober, and the thought of drinking rarely pops into my head anymore, in fact, I can't remember the last time my mind has gone there.

Each day you are building those sober muscles, and getting s little stronger!

Keep it up SN, you've got this!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Great job turning around!!! I have been there and its not easy but the urges will lessen as time goes on.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doing well, just keep posting
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Made it half way to bottle shop and turned around and came home. Do the cravings ever get any easier?
Having been sober once before for over 4 years, I can attest that the cravings do get easier. For me, I found it was sort of like breaking a habit. After awhile, I just never thought about drinking at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha! I did that on Day One!! Good job on not giving in.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

yep, it definitely get's easier over time. You are still in the acute withdrawal stage for the most part so it's probably about as hard now as it's ever going to get.

Working on a plan can make things far easier too - if you just simply try to "not drink"....it's really hard. Meetings, time here on SR, reading, there's a long list of things you can do to strengthen your recovery.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does get easier but the beginning is rough. I still vividly recall the last time I stood at my back gate, car keys in hand, wanting so much to drive to get beer. I didn't do it. It almost hurt to turn around and go back inside.

I had to occupy myself a lot in the beginning until it became natural. Lots of cleaning, washing dishes, sweeping floors, jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, crochet. Anything that sorta used my brain and kept my hands occupied.

It's worth it and you can do it.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job so far SN! I'm on week 5 and am still filling up my evenings with distractions. Either I go to the gym, rent a movie, grocery shop, anything to make sure I'm not sitting idle wanting to drink.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes they will get easier with time. You'll find new things to do, and new ways to cope with everyday life. We are creatures of habit. Sometimes we need to get rid of some of the bad habits, and find some new habits.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do the cravings ever get any easier?

yes but not on day 3 or 13 or 30. recovery takes TIME. there is no quick fix. when we put down the booze, we put down the desire to escape every bad thought, sad feeling, paper cut or leg cramp. cravings won't kill you, but drinking can.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time. The cravings diminish the longer you're sober, but it takes a while. I felt a lot fewer cravings between 3 and 6 months sober. And make a plan for when you have cravings and how you're going to deal with them. Make a plan and work it like your life depends on it - cause it does.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, it takes time. I know that 3 sober days seems like a long time to you but give your body, mind & spirit a chance to heal.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Found out my beautiful Nanna has cancer yesterday. Didn't drink. Day 4 today.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your news SN.

I'm wishing the best for your Nanna and for you too which means no drinking. You don't need it

D