Notices

First timer

Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First timer

Hi all,
I've struggled with alcohol dependence for a very long time. Just prior to Christmas I lost a sister to suicide, and 4 weeks later I lost my mother. Since them my alcohol consumption has ramped up to scary level. I had 3 days sober this week, but last night had a bender.
I'm totally over hating myself every morning and arguing with the voice in my head every afternoon.
I'm hoping this group will help me find the strength I need.
Thanks for reading.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Floster - I'm so glad you're here.

I'm very sorry you lost both your sister and mother. As you already know, drinking doesn't really help us cope with pain. There's a bit of numbness for a while, but we still have to deal with our emotions at some point. I used to believe it helped me - but just the opposite is true. Most of us understand exactly what you're going through, & there's plenty of encouragement here. You're never alone.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Floster.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm a fellow newbie and just wanted to say hi and wish you well with your recovery.

We can both do this! I'm on day 2 today...but I know it's the 3rd/4th day that really sucks for me, so I'm planning on spending a lot of time on here to try to get past these early days.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you joined us, Floster.

So sorry you lost your Sister and Mother. That's quite an emotional upset. We're a caring community. I know you'll find lots of support and encouragement here.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

grief is not helped with booze. Empathy for your loss. Support to your sobriety- meetings? A plan? Doctor? Therapist?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Floster.

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your sister and your mother.

Alcohol and grief are very poor companions. I know; I tried.

Stay close. We are here for you.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am very sorry for the loss of your sister and your mother.

This is a supportive, caring community and I hope you will continue to read and post.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Foster)))...you can do this! I'm so sorry for your loss. Like you, I've lost more people in my family than you can imagine. I know the pain and the need to numb the grief...but drinking will only make it worse.

In AA they talk about Higher Powers and how to use them to guide you along your recovery path. I like to think of all of those I've lost, being right beside me, giving me strength and helping me make the right choices. It really does help!

Welcome to SR...you came to the right place! Take a look around on this site, read the posts, post questions...there's a lot of support and knowledge ...right at your fingertips!

Stay strong...we're all rooting for you!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you floster, the great people at SR have helped me so much. Glad you found us.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm sorry for the sudden loss of your sister, and then your mother. I know you'll find lots of support here. With the help of SR, I have stayed sober over seven years now. I hope our support can do the same for you.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So happy you found this site. You'll find tons of support here. I can't imagine the pain you're going through. I second the advise of getting professional help to get you through this incredible loss. Stay close. John
Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I
quite overwhelmed! I have sought professional help to deal with my recent losses. I think this group is going to be a huge help too. ����
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! And glad to see you are seeing a counselor. That's a lot to handle and process. I wish I sought help after my dad died.

I love seeing posts like yours because it's very similar to mine. And when you posted that you're seeing a therapist, man... That made me smile.

Tomorrow marks my 2yr anniversary. Before my day 1, I was an all day drinker starting with vodka and coffee. It started with the death of my dad and got worse as other events happened.

My life was hell. Alcohol seemed like the only way I could enjoy myself. The only time I smiled was when I was drunk.

Not any more. I'm so much happier now and I can handle life's curve balls head on.

It takes work. But it's worth it. There's a lot to learn. But you can learn it. This place is full of information and support. It can can give you your life back if you let it. You will smile again naturally if you keep working on yourself.

Don't stop. Keep pushing. Trust me. It get much, much worse if you don't. Alcohol is evil and it knows no boundaries. It's goal is to make you miserable as hell so you want to drink more.

End the madness. End the sadness. Just be sober and keep working on yourself. One minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time. Just be sober and you WILL get there!

Every day you drink is another 2 days of depression.

End it now!