Notices

Looking for the light

Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for the light

Hi! I'm new to posting, but I've been reading some threads for a while now. I have not had a drink in over a month now, and I'm feeling awful. I guess I was highly functioning with the booze. I had energy, was fairly happy, exercized almost every day and life was pretty good.
I stopped drinking because I couldn't stop gaining weight and I was losing my memory. Every morning I would wake up having a difficult time remembering what I said or did, but I was usually in the safety and comfort of my own home with my husband.
I had my fair share of hangovers as a nightly drinker. I wanted my life to be better without booze, but I have been really struggling. I'm irritable, I have no energy, and all I want to do is stay in bed. Sounds like depression, but this is new to me. I've had a relationship with booze for most of my life, and I am truly feeling the loss and void in my life. I know I am doing the right thing, but it is so hard. I thought a month would be a good milestone where I'd start to feel better. Right now I go through each day just excited to go back to bed. I'm definitely looking for the light at the end of this tunnel.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on your sober time and welcome, MarthaR10.

Early sobriety is pretty rocky, no doubt about it. Are you eating healthy food and getting some exercise every day? Those two things are vital to me feeling good.

I slept a lot in early days, too. Lots of healing is happening right now and that's a very good thing. Hang on! It keeps getting better, but it does take time.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good work!

Have you been to the doctor? Maybe there is something more going on and its not due to removing alcohol?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's time to see the Doc? Check your vitamin levels?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt pretty much the same way at 30 days in. I kept waiting for the fog to lift. I'm still in the early stages myself (almost 2 months now), but with each day that passes, I'm feeling better.

Are you taking any vitamins? What about counseling..have you considered that option?

Hang in there and post as often as possible... And congrats on 30 days!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Getting through a month is great!

It could be depression and you could have been self-medicating depression for years. That's pretty common for alcoholics. As the next month or so goes by, you may see the depression lift, if it was caused by alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant. However, if the depression existed before you began drinking (as it did for me), you may need to talk to your dr about it. Also, it's a good idea to have a checkup and talk to your dr if you're not feeling well.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doc & therapist on hand

Thanks for all the replies. It was a doctor's visit that prompted my ditching of the drink. I had blood work done to try and help solve the mystery of my weight gain. Well, no mystery there when you're drinking every night... But I thought with how much I exercise and how I eat I should not be gaining... Something else must have been wrong. But, it does appear that alcohol had a lot to do with it. I'm down ten pounds already.
The same doctor gave me a bunch of vitamins, so I think I'm set. I have a therapist who is helping me through my childhood issues that probably caused my drinking. I guess I was just wanting the waters to part and some sort of sign... CON-grad-U-lations on doing something I never thought I could do... But I miss it too much to celebrate (yet).
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarthaR10 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It was a doctor's visit that prompted my ditching of the drink. I had blood work done to try and help solve the mystery of my weight gain. Well, no mystery there when you're drinking every night... But I thought with how much I exercise and how I eat I should not be gaining... Something else must have been wrong. But, it does appear that alcohol had a lot to do with it. I'm down ten pounds already.
The same doctor gave me a bunch of vitamins, so I think I'm set. I have a therapist who is helping me through my childhood issues that probably caused my drinking. I guess I was just wanting the waters to part and some sort of sign... CON-grad-U-lations on doing something I never thought I could do... But I miss it too much to celebrate (yet).
Welcome, Martha! You sound like a very strong person, and also a very wise one. I don't know that we can ever really "celebrate", per se, as addiction is a lifelong battle. I suppose you can celebrate the little victories, but celebrating that you have actually conquered it...well, we just never know. I thought I had conquered it and had 4 years and 3 months of sobriety - so I decided to have a beer last November like "normal" people do and, well, I'm sure you know the rest of the story. Our stories sound pretty similar, drinking in our home, not remembering what we said the night before, etc., etc. Others before me on this thread have already given you some great advice, so all I can offer is to say that you are a work in progress, we all are. Give yourself time.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In my experience....it takes a long long time....for the brain to normalize.

Dopamine eventually normalizes.

Thrilling activities, roller coasters, scary/funny movies, helping people, exercise etc are all ways to feel some natural happiness.

I don't take rx meds...my job would be in jeapordy if i was diagnosed as an alky.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

one month is fantastic!!!

when I stopped drinking it took some time before I was feeling good. I drank for so many years, I figure my brain and my body needed sufficient healing time so I tried not to rush it, I really wanted this to stick!

Don't give up, it will get better. It may take time but it is so worth it
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Martha,
welcome, and good going on a tough month.
when you "give up the problem" and it turns out that life isn't better without "the problem" at all, then it might be beneficial to explore if what you thought was the problem was actually more in the way of a "solution".

you might need or want to make a whole lot of other changes.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, MarthaR; very glad that you found us and have joined the posting side.

It took a while before I began to feel better; lethargy and 'foggy brain' plagued me for quite some time.

The good news is that (other than some chronic health issues unrelated to alcohol), I am feeling well and happy.

Congratulations on your month of sobriety, Martha. Well done.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome- keep posting- lots of threads.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congrats on 1 month!!! You do have something to be happy about

I am close, almost 4 weeks and I am the same way...I get very moody, I cry for no reason, I am so tired....but I am forcing myself to exercise daily which seems to help. One thing I am loving right now, is my sleep is undisturbed, I am not waking in a panic, with my racing heart. And if I do wake, I am able to fall right back to sleep.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. A month is a good start, but as BB said, early recovery can be a bumpy ride for a while. If you don't start feeling better soon, see your doctor again.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you, MarthaR?

Thinking of you.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
How are you, MarthaR?

Thinking of you.
Things are better, Leigh. Thanks for checking in on me. Today is much better than yesterday. Thankfully I have a lot of things to do. Keeping busy has been crucial for me. I'm so grateful for a lot of things. But mostly happy that I don't have to worry about how I'm going to drive home from a show this weekend! I'm so glad I don't have to be strategic about my drinking in order to make it through the night. It's so liberating.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Things are better, Leigh. Thanks for checking in on me. Today is much better than yesterday. Thankfully I have a lot of things to do. Keeping busy has been crucial for me. I'm so grateful for a lot of things. But mostly happy that I don't have to worry about how I'm going to drive home from a show this weekend! I'm so glad I don't have to be strategic about my drinking in order to make it through the night. It's so liberating.
Very liberating!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Liberating, indeed, Martha.

I've never known such freedom. Congratulations; so happy to hear that things are better.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Martha

Support really helps, I think? Tons of that here

D