Notices

I've had enough

Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Lazarus, congrats on 33 days and not drinking Friday. I'm on day 195 today and I'm finally realising the enormity of getting sober. I don't get cravings anymore and I can handle being around drinkers absolutely fine. I'm just not sure whether I want to be around drinkers anymore. You're so right. It's not just a case of carrying on like before but drinking lemonade instead. Getting sober changes the way you view the world. Stuff I thought was boring before is now blowing my mind. And drinking buddies that have now ditched me and post photo after photo on Facebook of their crazy and fun nights out? Doesn't bother me. I know the reality. I know the hangovers and the self loathing and the tiredness and the depressive effect of alcohol. I'm changing as a person and I'm not saying that I'm better than my ex buddies. But I am different.

Feeling a little overwhelmed with all the changes and all the rushes of emotions that booze kept so neatly locked away for years. So I've decided to start going to meetings. I've done almost 7 months on my own with the support I've got here but now I need some face to face contact with my own kind. I need to know that it is possible to change and adapt to life without alcohol. I want to be in this for the long haul and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to stay sober forever. And that seems to mean doing much more than staying the same but swopping vino for lemonade. Only you know what you need to do but you sound exactly like me 5 and a bit months ago . I'm glad I didn't start drinking again then and I'm going to raise my game a little to make sure I don't start drinking now. Good luck to you