Notices

I can't do it

Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do it

Not sure how many days it has been. About a week since my last drink. I just can't do it. I have this pain in my chest on the left hand side. I have been eating sweets all day, and my mood is very very low. Not doing well.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, you CAN do it. You ARE doing it. You say you have about a week without drinking - that's great! The sweets thing...that's normal. Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. Your body is craving it. Better sweets than alcohol. Keep posting. Stay vigilant. You are making this happen, Robinz!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

I respectfully disagree (((Robinz))

The early days are not easy but you can do this!

If you are worried about the chest pain, maybe a trip to ER is warranted?

thinking about you
Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this Robinz, sounds like you may still be having withdrawal symptoms. Lots of water, eat some Whole Foods and keep posting. As suggested go get checked out by a doctor.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You absolutely can do it. The first week is the hardest and you have done that!

If you had told me three months ago that I could go 12+ weeks without a drink, I would have laughed at you.

Things get better. Day by day. Week by week. You need to give it time.

Keep going.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Congrats on a week!!! Perhaps see a dr if pain remains. Praying for you!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's hard at first but it gets better. If you're in pain, please see a doctor or an ER. Don't give up now!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ribinz

Have you thought about joining the Class of April support thread - it's a great way to connect with others and find support?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-one-11.html

Have you considered seeing a Dr about that pain?

D
Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess it is just a bad day. Tomorrow is a new day. Thank you for the positive responses. i don't like going to doctors much less admitting to an alcohol problem for the first time. I am just feeling down and weak right now- kind of ill really. Mornings are fresh and new. I had a terrible start to my day so I think that is the reason why I am like this today.
Thanks again
Robin
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first week was pretty miserable, Robinz. I was one moody mess, so I sure understand.

Hang in there, each week sober is an awesome accomplishment.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Of course you can do it. If I can do it, you can too.
Post for support. Reach out to loved ones. Keep your resolve.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Yes, you CAN do it. You ARE doing it. You say you have about a week without drinking - that's great! The sweets thing...that's normal. Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. Your body is craving it. Better sweets than alcohol. Keep posting. Stay vigilant. You are making this happen, Robinz!
Yes, wanting sweets is indeed normal, but let's not feed the myth about alcohol being sugar.

"Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and does not digest/break down into sugar. Simply described, once consumed alcohol absorbs through the stomach lining and small-intestine directly into your blood stream as alcohol – it does not digest at all. "

"Alcohol has a different effect in different people. Drinks such as Beer, some wines, and Alco Pops contain carbohydrates, and will make blood sugars go up while you’re drinking, but generally blood sugar will drop later.

"The reason blood sugars drop later is due to the liver not being able to produce glucose (glycogen) that the body needs when blood sugars are low because it’s too busy processing the alcohol.
The liver is not very good at multi-tasking.

"When blood sugar levels drop, the liver usually begins to produce glucose from stored carbohydrates to compensate. But drinking alcohol blocks the liver's ability to do this. The liver treats alcohol as a toxin and works to rid the body of alcohol as quickly as possible. The liver will not produce glucose again until the alcohol has been processed and cleared from the body. "

This can be important to know because you don't want to be struggling with a sugar urge believing it has something to do with alcoholism.

A sugar addiction in some people can mimic the alcoholic cycle, and can be just as dangerous as alcohol.....but make no mistake, it's a separate animal.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We all have off days - even with years of sober time. That's kind of life, ya know?

It's going to be much better than how you are feeling right now. Everything passes in time.

Hang on - you've made it past the worst bit.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes you can. I don't buy this defeatist talk. I don't believe you--you can do it. We're all addicts and lots of us have achieved long term sobriety, and you can too. That's the nice thing about this--there's a potential for a 100 percent success rate at SR, but everyone has to do their part, and that means taking this seriously and by never, ever even entertaining the thought of drinking.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For what its worth, I've done some coaching in my life and I owned a company with employees. I cringe when I hear the words "I can't". We are capable of so much more than we think we are. And you are too. Glad you just chalked it up as a bad day, because we all have those. You can do anything if you want to do it bad enough.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today is better
Got up pretty late
Daughter is home sick from school
Dogs still love me to death
I do take an antidepressant and have not taken in awhile...
I just refilled and am going to get today.
I am so glad I haven't been drinking
But it is seriously hard as you all know. Is there some kind of non addicting sleep aide?
Luckily I have this week off for spring break and I can get things together .
Thanks for listening
-Robin
Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Robinz View Post
Today is better
Got up pretty late
Daughter is home sick from school
Dogs still love me to death
I do take an antidepressant and have not taken in awhile...
I just refilled and am going to get today.
I am so glad I haven't been drinking
But it is seriously hard as you all know. Is there some kind of non addicting sleep aide?
Luckily I have this week off for spring break and I can get things together .
Thanks for listening
-Robin

great news

Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Robinz, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Yes, our dogs (and cats) often save our lives during those really tough times.

If your dr has prescribed an antidepressant, you really should get back to taking it. If you have a problem with it, consider shifting to a different one. Depression doesn't need to take you down.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

not to minimize chest pain - which i strongly recommend you get checked out just to be safe - but heartburn, reflux and other gastric symptoms CAN exhibit pain in the chest area. i went in for a full cardio work up and had heart problems ruled out and we later determined it was an esophageal spasm. but i would not have KNOWN that unless i had taken the appropriate measures and gone directly to the doctor.

i am very relieved that you did not drink on top of feeling bad.

take it easy this week. give yourself a break. take naps. try to eat some "good for you" food, but don't totally diss good ole comfort food either! it's like you are a newborn chick, and still need time in the nice warm incubator.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Robinz;6417164.... Is there some kind of non addicting sleep aide?
......[/QUOTE]

Whoa there, Robin, watch it. Be very careful. I assuming you're talking about some over the counter or prescribed sleep solution. They can be very dangerous at any stage of recovery, one week or thirty years.

Listen to music. Sing your daughter to sleep (my family is Italian!). Read to your daughter. Read to yourself! Have a cup of heated-up warm milk (that really helps). Fall asleep on the couch watching the television set. Pray if you are a believer.