Notices

How do you quit doing something you enjoy?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to look at the bigger picture.

I thought I enjoyed drinking...but I wasn't factoring in the aftermath of every binge.

I though drinking made me happy...but what I took was happiness was a temporary absense of the crud that was my existence at that time.

Alcohol made a difficult life tolerable.

It wasn't until I quit that I realised I could actually work on my life and make things good that way...and not for a little respite...for keeps.

I deserved better and I got it...but only after I put down the bottle.

Don't fall for the AV lies - you came here to SR for a reason - re-read your first posts if that helps

D
Old 04-16-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recognize the AV, Brenda, and learn to ignore it. You can do that. You know the downside of drinking and that it can affect all aspects of your life. Keep that in mind and don't give up.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Six months is nothing. I hadn't even matured enough in my first six months to tie my shoe!

As Dee said, your ultimate goal in quitting alcohol should be to become a better you. That is much more effective and long lasting than defaulting to the easier route of temporary self-deadening.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
The longer you stay away from something you enjoy the easier it gets.

Nah. I find it like perpetual dieting. Not happy doing it, still miss it (especially the numbing effect), but I know I can't do it. Intellectually, it makes a ton of sense. Emotionally, there are times, here and there, where I wish I could just get drunk (I'm not talking about kicking back and having a glass of wine. that's a waste of calories).
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
All is Change

How? - a simple solution for complicated people. it doesn't matter if it's pleasant sensations or unpleasant sensations or numb, neutral sensations. The universal cure applies.

It takes work. There's no magic.

Maintaining a continuous equanimous awareness of the sensations that rise and pass away.

Think of it as a seed germinates, grows, flowers and seeds.

The new seeds fall.

Let them fall on barren ground. A field of no-reaction.

In this way, in time, there are no more seeds. No more plants. No more cravings or aversions.

This is hard to comprehend when life is lived in the opposite way and the 'cure' is some sort of denial. It can only be understood by direct experience. Direct experience can be had by practicing Anapana Sati* and Vipassana** as taught by the Buddha.

*awareness of in and out breathing
**to see things as they really are
Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I liked some aspects of drinking. I liked playing or listening to music while two drinks in. Three drinks was pushing it and by four drinks the craving started and I was off again until I ran out of booze. The only way back from that is either complete sobriety or death. Glad I chose the right option.