Notices

Bad dreams and can't sleep

Old 04-15-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad dreams and can't sleep

I just woke up at 12 🕛midnight from a terrible dream and can't sleep again. I am sober for 3 days. Wat shld i do?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The dreams aren't very nice but they will pass in the coming weeks...
Whenever I wake up in the night, I usually read in bed until I drop off again

Glad to have you join is OforiCleopas
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 and the sleep thing is getting better the dreams too when I was on day 3 I slept maybe 3 hours or so but I didn't want to take anything like Zquil or sleep aides because I wanted to keep an eye on my symptoms being I was still early in detox withdrawals. So I just read threads on here and read a book whatever I could to occupy my mind.

Welcome to SR
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest listening to some soothing music and/or reading a good book. (not a thriller) You can also read some of our stories of how we got sober, in the Stories forum.

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You can expect your sleep to be up and down for a while in early recovery. Exercise during the day helps me sleep at night.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it useful to not fight the insomnia. laying in bed tossing and turning only made my anxiety worse. I would get up have some food and watch some tv. Eventually I would get tired and go back to sleep. It will get easier each night though😀
Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was it a booze drea, or one about bad memories? Many think dreams means exactly what they appear as. So a drinking dream means they will drink. NOPE- I think it is the brain finding a balance- rewiring. I think of it as different bits of the brain having a talk amongst themselves, I happen to overhear something- that is dreaming. Drinnking- well duh. I dream all sorts of weird stuff, a lot of it to do with bad memories. I try not to analyse or read too much into them. I do write stuff down in a journal- might be counsellor material. Memories and dreams cannot harm me. They are no longer real. Only now is.
Support to you.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience was that it took a few months for my sleep to normalise. It was well worth the wait, and just waking up sober compensated for the weird dreams and other symptoms which have now passed. I think its all part of the recovery process so try not to let it bother you.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The best part of dreaming is waking up and finding that it isn't true. But waking can be hard if one finds it is true. In which case the best thing is not to drink, hang in there, get exercise, read or watch something boring (bore your AV!), buy a gadget that makes "white noise", avoid too much caffeine, pet the dog or cat (they understand), breathe deeply in and out, meditate and be patient. It gets better.

W.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dreamt my AV was a leprechaun.....isn't that lucky....completely ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum OforiCleopas!!