Notices

Pain that I know would go away with drinking

Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain that I know would go away with drinking

But I am not having cravings or even any desire to drink. My jaw hurts and I think I have TMJ, and my ankle and lower leg muscles hurt after any long day at work. It's a very busy place, and I'm up and down a lot, on my feet, bending, kneeling, squatting and lifting. So I know that causes some of the soreness, which I actually feel is good for me. I like not being sedentary in my job. It's about half sitting and half standing. I realized years ago, that I couldn't do an all day sitting job. I would go mad.
Anyway, the jaw pain and ankle is what's bothering me most tonight. I don't want to be in physical pain while I am sober. I just want to get some rest because I have to be up early tmrw on Saturday morning. I took some more ibuprofen and I have an ice pack, sort of helping.
I'm sober tonight, looking forward to a booze-free weekend, and hope you all are as well.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dealing with physical (not to mention emotional) pain is tough while sober, but it's part of living a sober life. It sounds like the ibuprofen/ice pack are a good start and that your resolve to stay sober is there, so you're winning the battle. Keep it up !
Old 04-14-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Most definitely looking forward to a sober weekend sorry about the pain Bronzie fwiw I think you are amazing
Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep it up Bronzie.

You're doing fantastic
Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol was a really poor pain relief really.
It needed repeated application and more and more of it over time to get the same result.

I'm glad you're not drinking, but sorry you're in pain...have you spoken to anyone about it?

D
Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bron,

I'll add that since you are booze free, you can enjoy the benefits of ibuprofen w less liver damage risk.

I have been taking 5 to 10 ml of zyrtec for nearly a month. I definitely remember fearing taking that stuff in my drinking days.

Stay clean.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SUPPORT TO YOU. I find mindful breathing stuff helps. To get thru the really BAD pain. Support and empathy to you.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Using a recovery program as a guideline to
remain sober and our physicians for medical
assistance, remembering to be honest with
them about our on going recovery with addiction
to alcohol or drugs. Make sure we are strong
in our request that if medicine is prescribed
for ailments that it NOT be Narcotic or Habit
Forming because this will be something you
will have to deal with if we get addicted to them
too.

Protect your sobriety, your recovery
by doing everything possible to insure
long term health and happiness as you
move forward in life.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have chronic pain and I find that my pain is down since quitting. Alcohol is inflammatory, it's just another lie that it helps with pain. With some research on cartilage loss and bursitis I've learned that I very likely did this to myself by drinking so heavily for so long. I also have a very active job and working dehydrated due to constant hangovers degenerated my joints. Don't fall for the lie.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! The ibuprofen and ice did help, and I finally got to sleep, and just waking up this morning with a headache.

I'm going to take Aleve this morning which I have a prescription for. It's suppose to last longer than ibuprofen, so only have to take it twice a day. My sinus infection probably isn't helping either. But I'll get thru it.

I was afraid for years to take Tylenol, because of drinking and damage it can cause to liver. I still don't take it very often.
My doctor is aware of my addictive "personality" so not to prescribe me any opiates for pain or benzos for anxiety. The only time I take something stronger for pain is when I have dental work done....I don't handle the dentist very well. But I have never had any issue with feeling addicted to pain medications, although I would not want to take them on a daily basis. I watched my uncle go thru that battle after 2 bad motorcycle accidents (which were caused by drinking and using and then driving the bike).

Aleve and water for me, then off to an Easter egg hunt for the kids! (maybe some coffee too
Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sobriety isn't always comfortable, but it's a thousand times better than living a drunken life.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Sobriety isn't always comfortable, but it's a thousand times better than living a drunken life.

Good point and very true! Thank you freeowl. I'm getting thru this weekend sober!
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work bronzie. You are doing great!!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you. It was a nice day and I'm exhausted but I am sober. My new goal is drinking lots of water!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you bronzie, sorry your in pain but good for you on your sobriety. Things will get better for you.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Good for you bronzie, sorry your in pain but good for you on your sobriety. Things will get better for you.

Thank you, Matt. The headaches have eased up a little by today, but my ankle seems to be getting worse. I'll be seeing the doctor about it in Wednesday and maybe find out more what's going on. Been bothering me for a couple months now...probably time to see the dr. I'm just dealing with the pain in any way that I can other than drinking!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Thank you, Matt. The headaches have eased up a little by today, but my ankle seems to be getting worse. I'll be seeing the doctor about it in Wednesday and maybe find out more what's going on. Been bothering me for a couple months now...probably time to see the dr. I'm just dealing with the pain in any way that I can other than drinking!
Way to stay sober Bronzie!! So awesome!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveAlex View Post
Way to stay sober Bronzie!! So awesome!
Thank you stevealex
Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I don't know if there is any scientific evidence of this, but I found pain medication didn't work very well when I was drinking. I believe I may have had a higher than normal tolerance due to my high tolerance for alcohol. When is stopped drinking I was surprised to find pain medications worked a lot better.

I had my wisdom teeth, all four, removed near one year sober, and paracetamol provided all the pain relief I needed.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Good for you. Hopefully the doctor will be able to help you