Notices

New Here

Old 04-14-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

I am not even sure what to post but I know I need some support. I have been a closet alcoholic for, wow the last 7 years or so. I can't even figure out how it all started. I never drank, in fact I hated being around anyone who was drinking. Then 7 years ago I met a guy who had a few every night but he never was what one would think of as being a drunk. He was always really nice and the beer never changed his personality. So there I was drinking with him whenever we were together. 5 Years ago I moved in with him and it quickly became an every night thing. Every night for the past 5 years I have just fallen into bed drunk by 9pm and up at 5am for work.

On April 4 I woke up so sick and told him I was done with the beer. I could not function at all. My body felt like it was going to shut down on me. I went through so many days in a huge fog. I have worked at the same place for the past 6 years and could not remember a code for a toilet that I have typed in about a million times and I realized I was not living any more I was just existing.

Other than me and hubbie no one knows how much we drink. My family has not got a clue. They still see me as the once a year glass of wine and a beer every now and then.

Yesterday at work I have no idea what was wrong with my boss but just wow, she was on me all day. I was so stressed out, got home and cracked a freaking beer uggg. I have no idea why I did it but I did and fell into bed at 9pm so here I am the morning of my 46th birthday pissed off at myself but remembering exactly why I quit. I feel like crap my brain does not want to work and all I can think is never again but I have no one to talk to. Hubbie will not give up the beer and I will not ask him to. I just have to keep reminding myself of how I feel right this moment how I feel and why I never want to wake up feeling like this ever again.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome. keep posting- read the threads. Support to you.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, there! Glad you are here. I'm coming up on my 45th birthday and, like you, I don't think anyone knows how much I had been drinking. I had 4 wonderfully sober years and then started drinking, again, back last November. Similar to all of your reasons above (brain fog being a huge one), I am now on day 5 of being sober. WELCOME!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Happy Birthday. Welcome. Lots of support here.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome and happy birthday.
I can relate. At the end of my drinking career, I was merely existing. Just a repository for alcohol.
Then, all the guilt , shame anxiety and self loathing that came after I had sworn off alcohol for the hundredth time. In the end I remember why I even drank anymore. To get drunk.
I'm older than you and drank alcoholically for twenty years. I thought I was fooling people, but my condition gave me away. Most everyone knew I was a drunk. Except me.

I was the last one to know. In the end, it was shots of whiskey at 8am, then beer the rest of the day. A real social drinker, eh? I had know idea how it had gotten that bad or even why I was doing it.
In the end, like you, I could not function on any meaningful level. Just existing.

After particularly bad drunks in close succession, and a bad withdrawal, I had a wake up call. I am an alcoholic and cannot control my drinking and n't been able to for years.
I called AA. I came here. I went to an AA meeting and found people just like me, though we had little else in common
Old 04-14-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I hope you read around the site and see how important support is and how important a plan is on making sure you carry through with the decision to quit drinking.

Originally Posted by insignia View Post
I just have to keep reminding myself of how I feel right this moment how I feel and why I never want to wake up feeling like this ever again.
Memory is a poor recovery tool. Your memory of why you quit the 4th didn't see you through yesterday's stress. It rarely does.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lost that post above.
To finish, you're not alone. You'll find people here who understand. You've taken a big step by posting and admitting you may have a problem.

Reminding yourself of how you feel is a great idea that I always recommend.
That, and reading posts like yours, and AA have kept me sober for over six years now. And I was a bad drunk.

Best to you and stick around.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keep reading and posting and this forum can make a massive difference to your sobriety, recovery, life and future.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, insignia; very glad you found us.

I have to go out just now.

I will be back with some good SR links.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not as pissed at myself now. Feeling pretty upbeat and positive. Thank you all for your words. Going to spend the rest of the day finishing up the quilts I started a few months ago. Also word to the wise. Do not try to quilt well drinking. Spent about 2 hours picking out stitches that were in no way even close to straight lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome, insignia.

I didn't really 'get' how it had gotten as bad as it had gotten, either.

these days - in my 4th year of sobriety - I am so grateful that I don't even need to get it. All I need to get is that alcohol isn't aligned with what I want life to be.... and to choose sobriety every day.

You can live a wonderful, happy life without the burden of alcohol.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As promised, links to some really good SR threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ighlight=Psstt
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

Great way to interact with other SR members at the same stage in their quest for sobriety.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-231-a.html

A thread in which to post a daily commitment to sobriety.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad that you are here, insignia.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday and welcome Insignia

D
Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links sober Leigh.

Today did no turn out so well. Hubbie and I got into an argument about something really stupid and I broke down in tears for the better part of the afternoon. I don't think he understands why I was so mad at myself this morning. We made up earlier tonight and now he is in bed and I am taking some time to go through a lot of the threads you posted as well as many more.

I am a bit proud of myself, I made it through the argument and not only did I not have a drop I didn't even want it.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good one insig
Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, insignia

I look forward to seeing you around SR!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Insignia,

So much of what you wrote resonates with me.

I was simply existing (sort of) until I gave up 19 days ago.

Welcome to SR and well done for seeing out Day 1